Just how good is the Axe-fx II modeling???

Adinfinitum

Experienced
Yesterday, I was playing through my Randall MTS rig using two different Soldano modules (a Deluxe and a Salvado). Both modules sounded really good going through a Mesa 4x12 with V30s. I hooked up my Radial AB switch and started playing through Cliff's Soldano presets, Crunch and Lead through an Atomic FR. Then ABing with the Randall to get the sounds close. After switching back and forth a few times, I was really loving the sound, which I thought was coming from the Randall. Switched again, and thought the Axe sounded a little muffled. Switched back, glorious sound.

It was at that point I realized the glorious sound was coming from the AXE! It was the Randall that sounded muffled and boxy.

Ha!

There is some magic in the SLO model. I keep coming back to it. That, and the 'Buttery' which out-Plexi's the Plexi Treble for me.

I haven't even got an AXE II yet, but I once did a similar exercise with my Standard and my ENGL Powerball. Same result.

I have a really good SLO-100. An original black faceplate version. Pristine condition. That amp was one of the primary amps used in the G2 modeling development. It was by studying that and a really nice JCM-800 that I finally figured out the secret to cathode followers.

I have a really good SLO-100. An original black faceplate version. Pristine condition. That amp was one of the primary amps used in the G2 modeling development. It was by studying that and a really nice JCM-800 that I finally figured out the secret to cathode followers.

No wonder. I'm not as impressed with the 800; just not as 'beefy'...but that might be a cab thing.

I was going to add that besides the SLO, I was playing the 800 for hours. Usually I turn it up in my studio and use my wireless to walk around the house, sit in the TV room to watch football. Lots of Rush songs get played! I usually play the 1987, but am really loving the crunch of the 800 (non-modded).

Very cool I am a Huge Soldano fan love that amp .on any modeller I have used its my go to ..

Question Cliff just out of curiosity ..

If you made a product and could only use 5 or 6 of the models which would they be and why .
What are your 5 or six favs and is there something about these that standsout for one reason or another be its high gain ,tight puchy ,response to dynamics ,singing leads ..

I see it asked a lot to forum members but would love to see your answer .

Also which sim was the most difficult to recreate or time consuming>

Again .cool to hear your thoughts

JCM800s are very bright. They cut great but on their own can sound thin.

I've got a really nice JCM800 too, but it was a revelation when I first bought it.

Very unexpected tone to me having never owned one (just had modded plexis previously), but dayum if it doesn't sit it a loud rock mix soooooooooooo good.

Richard

I also wasn't happy with the JCM 800 sounds I was getting from the Axe II when I first started using it. Especially since it was a go to amp for me in the Ultra so I was surprised I was disappointed.

I then discovered that the depth control and built-in amp block graphic EQ work wonders for this model. If you take the stock JCM 800 settings, turn the bright cap almost all the way down, turn up the depth, and then fine with the amp block graphic EQ it really starts cooking.

I use the JCM800 with those settings as mid-gain "crunch" sound and either an SLO-100 or HBE model for my high gain lead sound. They play nice together.

Reactions: yek
I also wasn't happy with the JCM 800 sounds I was getting from the Axe II when I first started using it. Especially since it was a go to amp for me in the Ultra so I was surprised I was disappointed.

I then discovered that the depth control and built-in amp block graphic EQ work wonders for this model. If you take the stock JCM 800 settings, turn the bright cap almost all the way down, turn up the depth, and then fine with the amp block graphic EQ it really starts cooking.

I use the JCM800 with those settings as mid-gain "crunch" sound and either an SLO-100 or HBE model for my high gain lead sound. They play nice together.

I'll give these a shot Adam.

Just missing that satisfying low 'chunk' when you hit muted strings. Thanks for the tip!

R

Some good info. here guys- thanks.
I'm new to the Fractal gear, but not to many of the amps being modeled. So far, I'm really digging the Buttery and the Treble Marshall- but I'm still learning how to dial things in. Seriously deep hole... I can tell that I'm likely going to be happiest running this into a power amp and some EV-loaded cabs. Funny how I moved on from that many years ago and I've looking at returning to that type of rig.

No surprise after hearing clips and seeing some guys who's opinions I trust make the switch, but this box is damned impressive.

...and i, i will never in this life be able to listen to either the buttery slo100 or the marshall discussed here, since i unfortunately live in europe and since i am number 1287354527356783246563498769436798576986546 on the european waiting list, and since 0.00002 units per year come tickling in, i, as the whole rest of the world, will have to wait until the year 246583746087098723395786586785683745 until i'll get one :)
cheers! :)

...and i, i will never in this life be able to listen to either the buttery slo100 or the marshall discussed here, since i unfortunately live in europe and since i am number 1287354527356783246563498769436798576986546 on the european waiting list, and since 0.00002 units per year come tickling in, i, as the whole rest of the world, will have to wait until the year 246583746087098723395786586785683745 until i'll get one :)
cheers! :)

It's good to see you avoid the pitfall of excessive hyperbole when making your point :) We all hope you and everyone else that wants one gets an Axe II sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Reactions: yek
the other day when I tried out an Axe 2, the first model I headed for was Das Metal...
I've always loved the VH4 and Herbert amp heads..
if I ever revert back to a "guitar --> amp" set up, it'd be without doubt a Morgan Guitar Works V6 --> Diezel VH4

it's been a while since I played through a Diezel.. but I have to say that when I tried Das Metal it did feel familiar..
it felt like a VH4 on channel 4
I'm not sure if that's what was modelled but that was what it reminded me of...
and just like a real Diezel... it's a wonderful experience...

Yesterday, I was playing through my Randall MTS rig using two different Soldano modules (a Deluxe and a Salvado). Both modules sounded really good going through a Mesa 4x12 with V30s. I hooked up my Radial AB switch and started playing through Cliff's Soldano presets, Crunch and Lead through an Atomic FR. Then ABing with the Randall to get the sounds close. After switching back and forth a few times, I was really loving the sound, which I thought was coming from the Randall. Switched again, and thought the Axe sounded a little muffled. Switched back, glorious sound.

It was at that point I realized the glorious sound was coming from the AXE! It was the Randall that sounded muffled and boxy.

Ha!

Muffled? I'm not surprised you can improve the tone with a great selection of tubes but if you know how to tweak an amp you can get there a module boutique amp and it kills all. That's what i'm doing slowly with my RM50. You have to mod the modules + the head.

One tip for you to improve your tone and get a nice effective presence. Look at this picture, C2 has been changed (head side) with an old silver mica. I have 200 of those so i can send you one. Just find a buddy with a solder iron and you will be happy.

<script src='http://img842.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=rm50.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Not trying to say here that the Axe II is bad, i can't get one.
just trying to help.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the Randall is perfectly capable of sounding "glorious" when you actually know which unit you're adjusting and continue to work with it. LOL. This anecdote seems kind of pointless. I've A/Bd the Axe with countless things and gotten confused.

Just because I got my POD and my Axe confused during an A/B session didn't lead me to immediately conclude "The POD sounds just as good or better than the Axe!" which seems to be the (bogus) implicit conclusion here.

Doesn't mean either unit's not great. This is just a no-op.

Maybe it was pointless to you Zenaxe. It wasn't to me. This was the first time where I guess wrong. I had the Standard since 2008 and have had the AXE II since the week it was released. I've done numerous A/Bing with my amps and NEVER thought a POD, Amplitube, Revalver, Zentera was the real deal. I'm a huge fan of the Randall/Egnater modules. It is pretty much my benchmark for good sound. When the Axe sounded better, it was an ear opener.

And Note to MBA - the Randall modules were not stock, these were Salvation and Jaded Faith modded modules. Most caps and resistors were upgraded, but thanks for the offer.

Ty Tabor has admitted that he pretty much came to the same conclusion when comparing the Axe-FX with Randall modules. I think he knows what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom