Just how good are the Friedman BE models?

Karl Houseknecht

Power User
Well, let me tell you. I recently acquired a new BE100. Plugged it in, turned it on, set the knobs where I'd set them on the AX8...and it was an anti-climactic moment from the first strum. Sounded exactly like I'd expected it to sound based on years of playing the modeled amp. Not "oh, the real thing is so much better" or "oh, the model is better". Nope. Exactly the same.

That's not saying the BE100 isn't a great amp. It totally is. Best modded plexi type amp I've played. But I've played and owned other amps that either didn't live up to or surpassed my expectations based on the Fractal models. Not this one. I had extremely high expectations based on the models and wasn't let down.

Friend of mine that's also an AX8 owner, after telling him I just got a BE100, said he'd love to play one in person. I told him, "you already have". :D

This does absolutely nothing to quell my new GAS for Friedman amps. The Dirty Shirley now has my eye...

Last edited:
I have owned Ampeg, Fender, Danelectro, Peavey, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Vox, Gibson, Standell, Pignose, and probably some others that I am forgetting. Playing through FAS gear is every bit as satisfying as my amps were. My amp gas has finally met the FAS Beano. Now guitar gas, not so much.

The BE-100 is definitely my "win the lottery" amp. But it's been over 10 years since I plugged into a loud tube amp so I'd honestly probably never play it. Great to hear the model is accurate though!

had a pretty similar experience when I last played a real one a few months ago. absolutely great sounding amp, but not a huge difference (if any) to the modeled Axe version. and it really shouldn't be with thr Axe's accuracy claims...

I would suppose that the biggest difference in tone between the models and the real amps is when you're standing in front of the real amp, compared to standing in front of an FRFR. I would assert that it almost has to be a different experience, regardless of the specific tones you hear.

Yet, put a mic in front of the real cab and send it to the PA - compare that to the Fractal. I would guess that all bets are off at that point as to which sounds better coming through the mains and monitors in the mix.

My amp gas has finally met the FAS Beano. Now guitar gas, not so much.
If anything, it's enabled guitar gas. I've since purchased an Ibanez M80M 8 string that sounds amazing through the FAS Modern amp. Probably didn't need that guitar for my Top 40/Country band!

I'm certain that the Fractal models have helped sell more than a few real Friedman amps.
It sold me one. I have no argument that the direct tone is spot on comparing the models. For me I always had a hard time with the traditional cab setup. Thus I'm using a friedman for awhile. Just changing it up for a bit.

I would suppose that the biggest difference in tone between the models and the real amps is when you're standing in front of the real amp, compared to standing in front of an FRFR. I would assert that it almost has to be a different experience, regardless of the specific tones you hear.

Yet, put a mic in front of the real cab and send it to the PA - compare that to the Fractal. I would guess that all bets are off at that point as to which sounds better coming through the mains and monitors in the mix.

You have to compare apples to apples - FRFR and a tube amp into a 4X12 will never sound the same. Either run the AX8 with cab modelling off through a Matrix power amp and a 4x12 (the same used for the tube amp) or mic the tube amp and listen on an FRFR system (studio monitors, PA, dedicated FRFR speaker). Then (and only then) they come real close.

If anything, it's enabled guitar gas. I've since purchased an Ibanez M80M 8 string that sounds amazing through the FAS Modern amp. Probably didn't need that guitar for my Top 40/Country band!
Just put some toe-caps on your boots. Nobody will notice the guitar.

I was at a rehearsal studio with a mate. You all know him - he's the one that rabbits on about how he would never play anything but a really Marshall amp through a Marshall cabinet because nothing in the digital world could ever come close. When I played the Friedman BE (and the HBE, and the V1s and V2s) he was blown away.

One statement came out his mouth "If I ever had one of these, I'd never play another patch. That is incredible ... wow"

Thank you FAS - job done :cool:

Back
Top Bottom