Just got the Friedman ASC-12 and...

Chris6870

I am not hearing the midrange that I like. I had previously used my AX8 with a EVZLX12 and more recently with a Xitone powered wedge and my main amp model is the Splawn quick rod and some marshalls,all mid heavy.. Now with the Friedman it seems kind of midscooped. I boosted 2k and some highs on the Global EQ and they were back. Anyone else find this? I don't like messing with the global EQ because I use my AX8 live 4CM with my Splawn and also record with it and all those patches are made with the global eq flat, so its a pain to always have to remember to go back in and adjust it. Maybe put an EQ block in each of my FRFR presets for the Friedman? Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't found it scooped at all and I haven't had to boost mids in the global eq. I actually really like the ASC-12 better than the CLRs, matrix and other FR solutions I've tried--I like the guitar cab vibe it produces.
Do you have the low cut switch engaged on the back of the cab?
It's possible our presets are just that different. I like a mid forward sound.
Like you said, you can always use an EQ block to get you want you want to hear.

I am not hearing the midrange that I like. I had previously used my AX8 with a EVZLX12 and more recently with a Xitone powered wedge and my main amp model is the Splawn quick rod and some marshalls,all mid heavy.. Now with the Friedman it seems kind of midscooped. I boosted 2k and some highs on the Global EQ and they were back. Anyone else find this? I don't like messing with the global EQ because I use my AX8 live 4CM with my Splawn and also record with it and all those patches are made with the global eq flat, so its a pain to always have to remember to go back in and adjust it. Maybe put an EQ block in each of my FRFR presets for the Friedman? Anyone else have this problem?
Experienced forum members like @yek have noted it indeed does have a scooped sound.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-friedman-asm-12-review.103599/page-3#post-1241414

I haven't tried it, but I don't like it from a specs standpoint. I think you get far more bang for buck with something like a Yamaha DXR, with louder output, flatter response, less weight, cheaper, etc. If you want something in a cab format, Matrix makes good stuff. And for coaxial types, CLR, XiTone, RCF, Dynacord, etc.

I set my Global EQ back to flat and created a Graphic EQ block with the mids and highs bumped a little and saved it to my library. Dropped that block in all my FRFR presets and it is sounding much better.

When I had the Mission Engineering Gemini 2(piece o shyt btw) it was exactly what you described, scooped and heavy, but looked cool. And that's all I gotta say bout thaaat lol

With the adjusted EQ it sounds great. I didn't care about the weight. My Splawn 2x12 I gig with is 72 lbs so the ASC is much lighter.. But I actually tweaked my back the first day I had the Friedman while carry it up the stairs. I'm going to see about putting some casters on it. I want to use pop in casters but have to get a peak inside before I drill anything to make sure nothing is in the way

Just ordered 2 of them tonight. I have the ASM-12 I keep at band practice and have been very happy with it. Hoping I like these just as much. I’ve got 2 CLR’s at home I create my presets with and they translate incredibly well to all the FOH systems we’ve encontered thus far. I have two XiTones I’ve been gigging with setup like backline on their side facing out like 1x12 cabs that I’m very happy with but I’ve been wanting something with a more traditional cab look. Hopefully I dig these. If not back to Sweetwater they go.

Last edited:
I had a Xitone also. Sounded good but it was very small and don't care for the wedge format. I also prefer the look of a traditional cab. Good luck with them.

Since I started this thread I guess I should update it. I sold the Friedman. I could not get that bright wide open spank that I get from other cabs. I could not get over dullness/darkness whatever it's called. Back to hunting I guess.

Just ordered 2 of them tonight. I have the ASM-12 I keep at band practice and have been very happy with it. Hoping I like these just as much. I’ve got 2 CLR’s at home I create my presets with and they translate incredibly well to all the FOH systems we’ve encontered thus far. I have two XiTones I’ve been gigging with setup like backline on their side facing out like 1x12 cabs that I’m very happy with but I’ve been wanting something with a more traditional cab look. Hopefully I dig these. If not back to Sweetwater they go.

Sounds like you need to be doing a monitor shootout. :)

Sounds like you need to be doing a monitor shootout. :)
All of them are excellent. Really just depends on the users needs. Creating presets on or for live use. Creating presets on, the CLR wins hands down. With the XiTone a close second and the Friedman last due to the fact that it’s not very flat. It accentuates the low end. But for live use on stage it’s great because it delivers a nice cab thump.

Last edited:
All of them are excellent. Really just depends on the users needs. Creating presets on or for live use. Creating presets on, the CLR wins hands down. With the XiTone a close second and the Friedman last due to the fact that it’s not flat. It accentuates the low end. But for live use on stage it’s great because it delivers a nice cab thump.

Just teasing you and your plethora of monitoring solutions.:) I have two CLR's and no need to look elsewhere as I love em. I like what Mic is doing at Xitone too. We had a shootout at the first AxeFest with somewhere near 15 different monitor pairs. The CLR was just being released at the time and not present. It was interesting to say the least.

Just teasing you and your plethora of monitoring solutions.:) I have two CLR's and no need to look elsewhere as I love em. I like what Mic is doing at Xitone too. We had a shootout at the first AxeFest with somewhere near 15 different monitor pairs. The CLR was just being released at the time and not present. It was interesting to say the least.
I bet. I had a buddy do one too I wasn’t there for it but I let him borrow a CLR and XiTone for it. He had some other friends bring a Friedman, Mission and I think a QSC and EV. He said he preferred the XiTone the best out of them all.

I've heard good things about them. If you think it sounds good now wait till you hear it in stereo!

Ahhh don't say that mate! I don't need any encouragement!! I won't be able to tell my wife! It reminds me of a post I read on a guitar forum - the guy said that you should always buy all your guitars in the same color, that way the wife won't notice. That cracked me up. Maybe my wife won't notice that suddenly I've got TWO of those new speakers??? My credit card will unfortunately.

It's going to happen though, I know :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom