Just got the Axe Fx III and........

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Little on edge because I've used Axe FX Standard and Axe Fx II for 10 years. Quite frankly I'm questioning to sell it and buy again when the new editor and footcontroller is available. I have a MFC101 and know I need to use midi and not Faslink, but programming 65 patches from front screen and then programming the MFC101 to have every patch IA state will take a really long time.

Really wish the editor was released at the same time, but Cliff said he'd try and get out by next week's end, roughly. On fence and have yet to plug it in because I have a gig in a week and don't have the time to program without freaking out. 1st world problems I know.....

I really need the bidirectional working with my RJM too. I can still change patches and instantiate the tuner. just no tuner on the box, or ia states.

I wouldn't worry about the MFC part, and just learn the panel, major point of the III update was the screen. It's good to know, helped me at gigs with my II over the years. As far as the 65 patches, make a template, and save it and then change your amps and stuff.. should make it go faster.

Front panel is soooooo much easier. You may have to rethink your presets and take advantage of scenes and channels. My .02

Why sell it if the new foot controllers come within a few months or so? You can use your Axe II for gigging for the time being. Axe Edit is on it's way so you just need a little patience.

Last edited:
Why sell it if the new foot controllers come within a few months or so? You can use your Axe II for gigging for the time being. Axe Edit is on it's way so you just need a little patience.
Because part of the reason I bought was because I could sell the Axe FX II. But they aren't getting very much at moment because fractal reduced their prices for the II and is causing resales to dive down in price. Ahhhh! I get it though. But still blows all the same.

I don’t think the II’s are going to go up in resale value again, probably best to get what you can for it now because in a few months they might be selling for even less. FAS is selling them for $1699 right now which means used are going for like $1400 or so. If FAS cuts the price further it’s only going to push prices lower, as will more and more people getting the III. Lots of people are still waiting on the III so not selling their current units but when the used supply goes potentially higher the prices for used may drop more.

Mere speculation of course but generally taking what you can get is better than waiting and getting even less. $1450 shipped beats $1200 shipped, know what I mean?

Some might say what if FAS sells out of them and then used prices will go up? Well that is possible, but how mich higher can they go when the III is “just” $2499 and has so much more to offer

No way I’d personally pay like $1800 for a used xl, I’d just go to a III if I was already spending nearly $2k.

Axe edit beta will be out at the end of next week. I'd wait to program your patches if I were you. Maybe just do a few for now, the when hu can copy blocks between presses things will be much easier. Believe me I understand. I'm in the same boat and I have decided to just use my 2 for live use for now. I just don't have time to figure out how to get it running, and practice guitar for the show.. I think practice will be a better use of my time.

I hear you on the manual programming - I'm not looking forward to that either. I will say though, for my purposes I was able to get around it entirely for now. I'm using a single preset on my Mastermind LT. I changed the bank +/- buttons to be device (Axe) preset +/-, and then set the traditional PC buttons to change scenes instead. I change to whatever preset I want using +/- or the front panel, then just change scenes from the floor. The controller stays on the same preset the whole time, and the scene switching is totally seamless with full spillover.

Maybe you could sell and ship it to Al in France so he can get to work on FracTool. Without fractool to convert and at least get the blocks and chain into the III it’s a major time suck. Pretty please?

I know you guys with a ton of presets have issues to contend with right now. If i could get away with a single preset for an entire show I certainly would. I needed 10 or so tops on the II and I see that coming way down with the III. Man I just have zero desire to try and manage 60-70+ presets. I tip my hat to you guys that have that kind of patience and time to tweak.

I know you guys with a ton of presets have issues to contend with right now. If i could get away with a single preset for an entire show I certainly would. I needed 10 or so tops on the II and I see that coming way down with the III. Man I just have zero desire to try and manage 60-70+ presets. I tip my hat to you guys that have that kind of patience and time to tweak.

almost needless to say, but i doubt that the crowd can hear it. end of the day sounds like a lot of work. I really want the global blocks to come to the III so i dont have to update amps over 5-6 patches... 60? whoa.

almost needless to say, but i doubt that the crowd can hear it. end of the day sounds like a lot of work. I really want the global blocks to come to the III so i dont have to update amps over 5-6 patches... 60? whoa.

Don't know about you but my ear and hands settle into a tone and if I'm in Marshall mode and then abruptly switch to Boogie mode it takes me time to adjust and be able to exploit the tone the way I'd like. Bring on the global blocks for sure. It's nice to be able to pop in a block and not have to go through it again.

Shit I have 48 presets for one band.
55 for band 2.
And 40 for a tribute show I need to do in July.
So far I have 24 programmed for the first band. Day job, weekend gigs and a parent in ICU. FML

I know that the number of presets some of us have seem excessive for others, so I’ll try to put some perspective on it.

I know at least in my case, I’m really only using a few basic amps, clean, crunch, lead, etc. Most of my need for the larger number of presets comes with delays, harmonies, special effects, etc. We are a three piece cover band, one guitar, no keyboard player, no backing tracks, just bare bones. We also run all of our own sound and lights from the stage. But we are competing with other bands in our area that have 7 people in the band, PLUS backing tracks, AND a dedicated sound and light guy. So I need to cover a lot of ground with what I’m doing on stage, in essence, make a lot of noise. The constant compliment we get from people is that they can’t believe how full a 3 piece band can sound. That’s all because of what the Axe Fx can do, and it’s essential that I take full advantage of the power packed into this little black box.

Yes, it was very painful to get my patches programmed. But I plowed through it, and it was worth the time, and the Axe Fx III sounds great. Yes, it would have bee easier with an editor, or global blocks, and the new FC, or even the ability to copy blocks from one preset to another from the front panel. But I understood completely buying into this that not everything was ready and available yet since it is a new product. I’m always up for a challenge, and I was fortunate to have a block of available time to dedicate to it. Others do not, and I completely sympathize with you, I really do. But trust me, once you have everything up and running and you are past this initial phase, you will be smiling from ear to ear. This is truly a remarkable piece of gear.

Back
Top Bottom