Just got my fm3 today a few questions

Exitetard

Inspired
First off the outputs 1 XLR I get confused if the pins from fm3 go into the xlr cable the cable thusly is female to female? I have jbl lsr305 monitors it has xlr and 1/4 inch which leads me to my second question.

i don’t have any xlr cables I have an m audio 2x2m interface it has xlr as well as 1/4 inch instrument inputs. If I used the output 2 pair of 1/4 inch I need to either stay TS or TS all the way from the fm3 to interface to monitors right?

also if I use outputs 2 do I lose my ability to use the fx loop? I’ve read the manual and the diagrams and they mostly show using the xlr outputs for most everything(I’m recording).

I guess you could use out/in 1 for an fx loop. But then, you’d need XLR cables anyways.
I would just get XLR cables, or XLR-trs cables. Then everybody’s happy :)
Then use out/in 2 as your normal, 1/4 inch fx loop.

I guess you could use out/in 1 for an fx loop. But then, you’d need XLR cables anyways.
I would just get XLR cables, or XLR-trs cables. Then everybody’s happy :)
Then use out/in 2 as your normal, 1/4 inch fx loop.
Yeah I’ll get some tommorow I can get a clean thru but only if I mirror input1 on output 1. tho it’s been a long day. I really don’t care about getting the fx loop I’ll just be happy with getting normal sound and my color rings and text back even after reset and reboot they didn’t come back after I just started clicking and twirling things out of frustration.

Pics are of my settings and the two different kinds of cables I have not sure if one is TS and one TRS etc.

Attachments

• 151C2395-B42A-437B-AE65-0743AD1114C7.jpeg
    151C2395-B42A-437B-AE65-0743AD1114C7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 5F29E509-8BB2-4F6C-B91B-B39518E32ECA.jpeg
    5F29E509-8BB2-4F6C-B91B-B39518E32ECA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • ADD6FB2C-9767-41B4-B0AD-2EE9E3A2522B.jpeg
    ADD6FB2C-9767-41B4-B0AD-2EE9E3A2522B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 37B34A63-DE86-4DED-ABDC-06AFEF869942.jpeg
    37B34A63-DE86-4DED-ABDC-06AFEF869942.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The first cable looks like TRS and the second, TS
That definitely helps. I got all the sound working fine for now but my 3 buttons are just a blue background and —- for the scribble strips text. I know the pic is hard to read. There are no LED rings at all. I forgot to turn down brightness.
Ok so update I found a setting and someone linked a pic of where to reset so all good. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 34A2515F-043B-4B83-984E-24A9D327E4B0.jpeg
    34A2515F-043B-4B83-984E-24A9D327E4B0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The cables with 2 rings are TRS (stereo) and the cables with a single ring are TS (mono/instrument). TRS cables can be used with expression pedals through your pedal inputs while the TS cables should be used for your mono instrument signal (aka, guitar cable). I would definitely get XLR cables for the output from the unit to avoid confusion and having to create presets using Out 2 - you want a balanced signal out of the unit. In terms of the scribble strips - I would recommend doing some reading through the manual. You will need to set up your layouts and views depending on how you intend to use the footswitches (FM3 alone, FM3+FC6, etc). The learning curve on Fractal gear is no joke. I owned an AX8 for several years before I really got the most out of the unit - it is a masterclass in amp and cab parameters, signal chain, etc. That said, you don't have to be a master to use the unit, particularly when so many knowledgeable people here provide great presets for free. What you will need to learn is how to set up the unit for your needs and for that you will need to read the manual carefully, experiment, and watch some videos. I recommend Leon Todd's YouTube channel (@2112 here on the forums). He does a great job of categorizing his tutorials and keeping them to a reasonable length, focused on a single topic. Good luck, friend, and welcome.

Getting the fm3 and fc6 today, questions on my set up, I run a separate midi Black Widow midi tube pre amp and a fryette stereo power amp to a 4 x 12 cabinet in stereo. So I want to use the fm3 and fc6 without cab modeling and power amp modeling, I need the effects and pre drives in frt of preamp and effects after , also out to mixer which will need my sound going to pa , any ideas before I experiment ?

Last edited:
Getting the fm3 and fc6 today, questions on my set up, I run a separate midi Black Widow midi tube pre amp and a fryette stereo power amp to a 4 x 12 cabinet in stereo. So I want to use the fm3 and fc6 without cab modeling and power amp modeling, I need the effects and pre drives in frt of preamp and effects after , also out to mixer which will need my sound going to pa , any ideas before I experiment ?

Will you be using the FM3 for Fx only? Or will you sometimes use the FM3 amp models? Either way, you’re looking at a 4CM setup. Check the manual for that.

You can disable both cab and power amp modeling in the global setup menu. You may want to leave power amp modeling on at first though and test both with it on and off. I actually like it better with it on even though I run through real amp FX loops. You can disable power amp modeling in individual amp blocks by setting the sag to 0 so it’s easy to test if you like sag at 0 or a bit higher. If you find you always like it off you can disable power amp modeling globally later.

Using 4CM eats up your Outputs so I think it’s tricky to do that and also send another signal to FOH. And in that case wouldn’t you want power amp and cab modeling going to FOH?

Will you be using the FM3 for Fx only? Or will you sometimes use the FM3 amp models? Either way, you’re looking at a 4CM setup. Check the manual for that.

You can disable both cab and power amp modeling in the global setup menu. You may want to leave power amp modeling on at first though and test both with it on and off. I actually like it better with it on even though I run through real amp FX loops. You can disable power amp modeling in individual amp blocks by setting the sag to 0 so it’s easy to test if you like sag at 0 or a bit higher. If you find you always like it off you can disable power amp modeling globally later.

Using 4CM eats up your Outputs so I think it’s tricky to do that and also send another signal to FOH. And in that case wouldn’t you want power amp and cab modeling going to FOH?
Yes I would want to FOH To have amp and cab modeling or is there a simpler way to have wants coming out of speaker to frt of house or just use a mic?

The cables with 2 rings are TRS (stereo) and the cables with a single ring are TS (mono/instrument). TRS cables can be used with expression pedals through your pedal inputs while the TS cables should be used for your mono instrument signal (aka, guitar cable). I would definitely get XLR cables for the output from the unit to avoid confusion and having to create presets using Out 2 - you want a balanced signal out of the unit. In terms of the scribble strips - I would recommend doing some reading through the manual. You will need to set up your layouts and views depending on how you intend to use the footswitches (FM3 alone, FM3+FC6, etc). The learning curve on Fractal gear is no joke. I owned an AX8 for several years before I really got the most out of the unit - it is a masterclass in amp and cab parameters, signal chain, etc. That said, you don't have to be a master to use the unit, particularly when so many knowledgeable people here provide great presets for free. What you will need to learn is how to set up the unit for your needs and for that you will need to read the manual carefully, experiment, and watch some videos. I recommend Leon Todd's YouTube channel (@2112 here on the forums). He does a great job of categorizing his tutorials and keeping them to a reasonable length, focused on a single topic. Good luck, friend, and welcome.
Thanks I got it working great now but I spent 50$ on cables oh well. I’m trying to sell a guitar pedal so I can snag an fc6 so I’m a bit hesitant to start diagraming and setting up layouts until I get the extra 6 buttons. Wanna buy a KMA HORIZONT never used. Nobody on eBay is smart enough to realize how amazing it is. Bet you didn’t know you needed a phaser with an fx loop and stereo outs but you do.

Yes I would want to FOH To have amp and cab modeling or is there a simpler way to have wants coming out of speaker to frt of house or just use a mic?
The problem is going 4CM and wanting to also go direct.
But I would ditch the preamp. Just use the FM3s (so many different preamps!), and go out2 to your power amp. And then cab sim into out 1, to FOH.
Also, you’ll have to leave power amp models enabled, since it’s a global parameter. You can’t use it for one output but not the other. But sending complete amp models to a power amp is just fine; it’s what I do.

Back
Top Bottom