Just got my FM3- has anyone else noticed this?

csassakb

Inspired
Hello all

I hope you are all safe and healthy

Just got my FM3. Sounds are great, but I noticed when you switch scenes, not only is there is brief gap in sound (which I understand happens when you switch scenes) but I noticed on several occasions there would be like a minuscule hiccup in the sound after that first gap
So, I guess what I am saying is when I change scenes it is like there are two interruptions in sound
the one that happens when you change scenes, and then sometimes, an even shorter "blip" if you will

Anyone else notice this?
Curt

Actually this is something I am curious about - a friend sent back his AX8; he disliked the "gap" / sound cutting out when switching presets.
How is this on the FM3? How noticeable is the "lag" when switching sounds?

Honestly it's something I never noticed on my II back then....

Actually this is something I am curious about - a friend sent back his AX8; he disliked the "gap" / sound cutting out when switching presets.
How is this on the FM3? How noticeable is the "lag" when switching sounds?

Honestly it's something I never noticed on my II back then....
If you never noticed it on your Axe II, you'll notice it even less. :)

Yes this happened to me and I had the same question, and it WAS in fact because I was using FM3 edit at the same time. When I shut that down the hiccup went away, although changing presets still had a noticeable drop out that was longer than my AX8. No problems with scene or channel switching though.

Yes this happened to me and I had the same question, and it WAS in fact because I was using FM3 edit at the same time. When I shut that down the hiccup went away, although changing presets still had a noticeable drop out that was longer than my AX8. No problems with scene or channel switching though.
I am surprised the AX8 has less a noticeable drop than the FM3. One would think the FM3 would be better in that way

I saw a post earlier where Cliff said the fast switching improvements made to the Axe3 have not been ported to the FM3 yet. It will be.

Last edited:
I noticed the audio gap when switching scenes with different amp models got considerably worse (unusably bad for me) when a delay block was present in the preset (it didn’t have to be connected or active, just present).

Without a delay block, it switched very quickly, on par with the III.

I assume this will get fixed in the future, but between that gap and the other inherent limitations, I returned my FM3. I think I’ll be better off with another Axe FX III.

gap ...happens when you switch scenes

The above is incorrect. The gap happens only when a scene switches channels, and even then only for channels of certain blocks. Many scene changes are gapless.

Last edited:
I noticed the audio gap when switching scenes with different amp models got considerably worse (unusably bad for me) when a delay block was present in the preset (it didn’t have to be connected or active, just present).

Without a delay block, it switched very quickly, on par with the III.

I assume this will get fixed in the future, but between that gap and the other inherent limitations, I returned my FM3. I think I’ll be better off with another Axe FX III.

i dont know if true but i had read that it could have something to do with the different delay time

so if you went from A BE to HBE
with the same delay and settings the channels and scenes switched quicker

than if you had a different delay type and time on channel you were switching to

at any rate hopefully FM3 gets the stuff that make the presets scenes and channel switching faster and smoother soon

Last edited:
i dont know if true but i had read that it could have something to do with the different delay timeso if you went from A BE to HBE
with the same delay and settings the channels and scenes switched quicker than if you had a different delay type and time on channel you were switching to

I meant literally just adding the delay block on the grid, not even configuring or switching channels with it between different scenes. It didn’t matter if was in the signal chain or not.

I absolutely trust that FAS will resolve this, as I would assume this is just a software/bug type of issue, since CPU usage wasn’t relevant. The same behavior occurred if usage was at <40% or >80%.

I meant literally just adding the delay block on the grid, not even configuring or switching channels with it between different scenes. It didn’t matter if was in the signal chain or not.

I absolutely trust that FAS will resolve this, as I would assume this is just a software/bug type of issue, since CPU usage wasn’t relevant. The same behavior occurred if usage was at <40% or >80%.

ah i see what your saying i will check that out
honestly have not played with it too much as USB was an issue now fixed
but yes that would be a problem
did borh the plain delay and multi cause it for you ?

but reverb , multiband comp was fine ?

ah i see what your saying i will check that out
honestly have not played with it too much as USB was an issue now fixed
but yes that would be a problem
did borh the plain delay and multi cause it for you ?

but reverb , multiband comp was fine ?

I didn’t test all of the blocks, but it was only the standard delay that I noted as significant. I removed the delay block From my preset and was okay with the gap.

Reverb was good, chorus seemed to add a small amount of gap, but it was still usable.

I don’t really use very many effects, but delay, reverb, and chorus are almost all I use.

I was testing the FM3 against my Axe FX III, AX8, and my Mesa JP2C for switching speed and sound.

The FM3 sounds great, pretty much just like the Axe FX III, and comparable to the real thing. My tube-amp snobbish/anti-digital friend guessed wrong several times when he was playing blind through the various rigs.

Back
Top Bottom