Just got my first RCF NX12 SMA

I already love the one I have. Can't wait for the 2nd one to come.

Strangely, I actually thought about using them as a PA also as others have suggested. I would imagine I would need a sub for that however.

I'll be experimenting with them over time and post what I find out here on the forum.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys sum the L+R together for a mono setup using only one speaker or do you just use one output side?

I've been just using the L side and it sounds fine, but with some presets I use different cabs and mics for each side. So it would sound different if I used the R instead of the L. (I plan on giving the house R while I use L until I get two of them)

Just curious.

L

I would not recommend you use them as a PA except in the smallest and most intimate venues. They are far too directional for that IMHO. Even with two, the cone of usable on-axis behavior isn't what I'd prefer in a PA system. They are best used, IMHO, for what they are designed to do - be floor monitors.

I just use output 1; L to my RCF and R to FOH. Set the output level for FOH, then I adjust the volume on the RCF for me. Done. Zero phase issues ever. Just works for me.

Scott, can you talk a bit more about your Fletcher-Munson curve comment? It seems to me that the FM curve applies equally to any speaker. I suspect I'm missed something in the middle of all this! :)

Thanks.

Terry.

Some speakers have a built-in hype on the low and the highs so the Fletcher-Munson curve is exaggerated, often irritatingly, when you turn up the volumes to gig level. My point was not to imply the RCF doesn't exhibit this, but that it does not exaggerate it based on volume to the extent other speakers do. It sounds essentially the same from +70db to +130db. Not many speakers exhibit that sort of behavior. In fact, you need to get into the +$2K USD each level speakers before you start to see/hear that sort of performance normally. When I characterize the RCF as a professional level solution; that's what I am getting at. Very few (if any) pro-sumer level boxes can honestly say they do this. None I've tried have been anywhere like the RCF NX in this behavior.

Last edited:
I used my two nx10's on stands as a small pa recently and I have to say I was blown away by the clarity and bass response. It was a small art gallery and the volume level was "comfortable", but they handled everything we threw at them with aplomb.

I would not recommend you use them as a PA except in the smallest and most intimate venues. They are far too directional for that IMHO. Even with two, the cone of usable on-axis behavior isn't what I'd prefer in a PA system. They are best used, IMHO, for what they are designed to do - be floor monitors.

I just use output 1; L to my RCF and R to FOH. Set the output level for FOH, then I adjust the volume on the RCF for me. Done. Zero phase issues ever. Just works for me.

Scott, do you mean that you use the rcf to just "monitor yourself" pointing at you and away from the audience? If so I don't really understand the zero phase issues... well I just don't understand the whole picture. What is for you and what is for the audience. Who is having zero phase issues, you and/or the audience and why?

Simeon states they worked fine in a small environment, do you play at bigger stages. If so do you mean they are to directional to use instead of a "regular setup" such as a unmiked guitar amp. I hope I make myself understood.

Some speakers have a built-in hype on the low and the highs so the Fletcher-Munson curve is exaggerated, often irritatingly, when you turn up the volumes to gig level. My point was not to imply the RCF doesn't exhibit this, but that it does not exaggerate it based on volume to the extent other speakers do. It sounds essentially the same from +70db to +130db.

So, if I can put it another way, because the NX-12 is neutral/uncoloured "there are no surprises". A patch that sounds a bit too warm / dull at lower levels will come alive as expected as the level increases. That's because (I assume) the NX-12 is well behaved in that its neutrality remains intact throughout its service range (i.e. its measurable response does not change from soft to loud). Conversely, a lesser speaker is not neutral to start, and as the sound level changes the colouration itself also changes as the volume goes up (i.e. its measurable response DOES vary with the SPL).

I hope we're in sync! Thanks for the clarification.

Terry.

Scott, do you mean that you use the rcf to just "monitor yourself" pointing at you and away from the audience? If so I don't really understand the zero phase issues... well I just don't understand the whole picture. What is for you and what is for the audience. Who is having zero phase issues, you and/or the audience and why?

Simeon states they worked fine in a small environment, do you play at bigger stages. If so do you mean they are to directional to use instead of a "regular setup" such as a unmiked guitar amp. I hope I make myself understood.

Yes, I use it as a personal monitor or sometimes as a sidewash monitor for the stage. Just depends. I've used it up on a stand for bigger rooms and flipped over on it's 'top' angled side (steeper angle, it's still facing forward) - when I've been forced too - and feel *honestly* that it's just too directional to use in that manner. With 2 of them in a smaller space... you'd be fine. It's horses for courses; this is a personal monitor that *can* be used in a pinch as a backline. I do not feel it's strengths play to that usage IMHO.

So, if I can put it another way, because the NX-12 is neutral/uncoloured "there are no surprises". A patch that sounds a bit too warm / dull at lower levels will come alive as expected as the level increases. That's because (I assume) the NX-12 is well behaved in that its neutrality remains intact throughout its service range (i.e. its measurable response does not change from soft to loud). Conversely, a lesser speaker is not neutral to start, and as the sound level changes the colouration itself also changes as the volume goes up (i.e. its measurable response DOES vary with the SPL).

I hope we're in sync! Thanks for the clarification.

Terry.

Pretty much. It's a speaker box, not a miracle box. It's very accurate up to extreme volumes and has been - for me - totally dependable. I'm not shy about things having pluses and minuses though and mentioning them. IMHO, it's strengths are as a personal monitor or side-wash monitor for stage use. I highly recommend this box for what it is and how it does its job. It's still the reigning champion for this application in my experience.

Yes, I use it as a personal monitor or sometimes as a sidewash monitor for the stage. Just depends. I've used it up on a stand for bigger rooms and flipped over on it's 'top' angled side (steeper angle, it's still facing forward) - when I've been forced too - and feel *honestly* that it's just too directional to use in that manner. With 2 of them in a smaller space... you'd be fine. It's horses for courses; this is a personal monitor that *can* be used in a pinch as a backline. I do not feel it's strengths play to that usage IMHO.

Pretty much. It's a speaker box, not a miracle box. It's very accurate up to extreme volumes and has been - for me - totally dependable. I'm not shy about things having pluses and minuses though and mentioning them. IMHO, it's strengths are as a personal monitor or side-wash monitor for stage use. I highly recommend this box for what it is and how it does its job. It's still the reigning champion for this application in my experience.

Scott this is Interesting to hear you say, not trying to change the topic but it does raise a question as to what would be a good all around solution that can serve as a personal / side fill monitor and as back line support yet still have the quality that the RCF brings?

I'm now using my 12sma for home audio too. :)

I use an Airport to stream music (wireless) from iTunes, or from my iPhone, to the RCF.
It's mono but that's okay for that room. And it sounds good.

so how's this thing sound at "practive" levels for home use?
this forum may end up costing me a lot of money LOL!

so how's this thing sound at "practive" levels for home use?
this forum may end up costing me a lot of money LOL!
Honestly, for me everything set really quiet sounds like an amp set really quiet... kind of uninspiring. It really comes into its own when the sound get up there, kind of like a real amp does. I will say, however, it sounds as clean and punchy at every volume as anything else I have heard and better than most. I like it quite a lot.

Thanks for my Latest Case of G.A.S. guys... just ordered my RCF NX 12-SMA from Mike at Audiopyle.
I have a QSC right now. I'll probably A/B them and leave some feedback.

Thanks for my Latest Case of G.A.S. guys... just ordered my RCF NX 12-SMA from Mike at Audiopyle.
I have a QSC right now. I'll probably A/B them and leave some feedback.

I use the QSC K12s and would be very interested to hear how the two compare. From what I understand the RCF NX 12-SMAs are floor monitors only though, because of their directionality. Would love to know your thoughts Kruegmeister.

Is the voltage (110 vs 220) manually switched or 'automatically' switched.... or do you have to pop the panel and dig in deep to change the voltage?

Is the voltage (110 vs 220) manually switched or 'automatically' switched.... or do you have to pop the panel and dig in deep to change the voltage?

Two different model numbers - one is 115v - the other is 230v - there is no switching capability....

The horn pattern of the NX wedge is nominally 60 degrees conical. There are actually many PA cabs built with 60 degree horns, but I can see Scott"s point that a single cabinet may not provide full HF coverage to an entire room. Compared to the typical 12" driver with no wave guide, however, the 60 degree horn should actually deliver wider dispersion at higher frequencies. It's counter intuitive, but a larger horn diameter such as the bare 12" cone represents will "beam" more the higher the frequency it is producing.

The voltage of the NX series can be changed by removing or installing a short jumper connector inside the amp module and installing the appropriate fuse.

If anyone has one of these in the Boston area please Pm me, I need to check
one out in person before I plop this much cash down on something that may not work for me.
I know most people who have them like them but I am still hesitant about spending this much cash on
something that I may end up having to turn around and try to sell used without taking a bath on it.
thanks
Nick

Scott this is Interesting to hear you say, not trying to change the topic but it does raise a question as to what would be a good all around solution that can serve as a personal / side fill monitor and as back line support yet still have the quality that the RCF brings?

Horses for courses and all that.

These are not miracle boxes, they are powered speaker monitors. They are really good at their job, no doubt. But I'm not (though popular opinion might assume I am) into hype. I'm into reality. I've just found it directional up on a pole trying to carry the room. I've done it personally - so I'm speaking from personal experience. I love this speaker, it's been doing the job VERY well for me - for some time now. But as a backline carrying a room over 100+ people? I have found it too directional. Put it on the floor as a side wash or a personal monitor? Can't be beat - at this point - for over 2X the price.

What would be better all around? I dunno, comparable speaker quality, form factor, price (this is a $1600 street price speaker (though you can get them cheaper)) but designed for PA use? Spend the money, get the speakers. I have been very up front from the first listen here that this was not just a powered 'wonderbox' (aka the sub-$1000 QSC/EV/Yamaha/etc) boxes. This is a fully professional level solution. But if you take a $3000+ Meyer speaker monitor wedge and put it on a pole behind you... it'd probably not do well at that role either. Horses for courses.

It's a simple formula for me with regards to speakers; you get what you pay for. This speaker is well worth the price (and a steal for what Mike charges). Can anything compete? Let's see what comes along next week at the Axe-Fest West 2012. Let's see/hear what Atomic CLR is really all about whenever that comes out. Will there be a better price/value/excellence solution? I have to hear/see/use it personally before I'll believe it.

I use the QSC K12s and would be very interested to hear how the two compare. From what I understand the RCF NX 12-SMAs are floor monitors only though, because of their directionality. Would love to know your thoughts Kruegmeister.

I have K10s and K8s. I use a K8 to Sidewash the Stage right now and the K10 as a floor Monitor.
The K8 is a great sidewash for the Band to Hear me as it has something like a 165 degree dispersion angle.
I plan to A/B the 3 of them and I'll report my Findings/Opinions after I receive my RCF NX 12-SMA and have a Band Practice and when I play my Next gig I'll update my Findings/Opinions.

I played with my new RCF NX12SMA for few days,and what I've found is :

1.I like the amp and coaxial speaker (it's real 700 watt of clean RMS power !)
2.I don't like original RCF enclosure in sense of replacing the real,good guitar cab feel and sound (sounds to small at low end to my taste..it's only small wedge monitor..anyway quite big sound for such small cab..)

I installed all insides of RCF in to my DV Mark 2x12 vertical cab and deferent story !
Now it sounds more like real guitar cab with FRFR,and I quite like it :)

Of course I installed coaxial speaker on top,and also my lower original B&C speaker connected (after few tests) in series to woofer wires of RCF speaker,so now it has load of 16 ohms at woofer channel instead of 8 ohm (less stress on the amp)..Looks like still sound solid and balanced along with the horn etc..

This way I've got the best of both worlds..

DV Mark cab weights 13 kg..After this mod it is 14 kg ! 700 watts great sounding active FRFR guitar cab ! Sweet :)

So far sounds great.
Will test it life this weekend and will know more..

Thanks,
jacek

Attachments

• DSC00188.jpg
    DSC00188.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00180.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
tuning in because I love the idea of FRFR in a more traditional style cab/format... great job Mr Pollack

Back
Top Bottom