Just got my AxeFx II.. 1st question!

Willrock

Hello All, i just got my AxeFx II early last week and im kinda kicking myself why i waited this long to get this box! it being on sale pushed me over the fence.. Anywho, Im gonna use this primarily on home recording and i have a question. Is there a way to disable the amp block and just use the slave out of my Mesa Mark IV? i know im supposed to use the Input 2 on the back but other than that, it dont know what to do with I/O. Can someone pls point me to the right direction?

Many thanks!

Will

In simple terms to get a signal back in to the axe using input two, what you need is an FX loop block.

If you are not planning to use the effects loop of the Mesa then you don't really need to worry about the fact that you are not 'sending' anything to output2, the input (input 2) coming in to the FX loop can simply be injected anywhere you want in the axe grid.

In terms of the amp block but of your question, it really depends on what you want to do and deciding where to insert the FX loop block.

If you wanted the mesa as a parallel and separate path, you could have the FX loop on one row, with pre or post effects, and a modelled amp and separate set of effects on another row.

If you want common post effects, connect the FX loop after the modelled amp and cab.

If you just want the mesa and nothing else then don't include an axe amp block and have a preset that begins with the FX loop block.

One quick thought (having had a quick look at the mark 4 manual) and I apologise if this is incorrect advice. The Mark 4 looks very flexible with all the loops and different outputs. Is the Slave output of the AMP a line level signal? The manual talks about being derived from the speaker terminals? So post power amp? Be careful not to blow your axe up. Could you not use the recording output? Which sounds like its line level?

Anyways, I think mastering the FX loop block is key to helping you set up a great and very flexible set up. Hope that helps.

Hi Bigtim, thank you for the very informative response, very clear.. Actually the "slave out" of the mark iv is line level, its the out used if you wanna send the mark ivs' signal to another power amp for a stereo rig (Mesas' manual for this amp is a little confusing)..

btw, from the mark ivs' slave out (line level), can i use Axefxs' "instrument input" on the front or in the back and not use the "FX LOOP" block of the axefx grid? ("amp block" is off of course) thought i ask to simplify the layout

Hi Bigtim, thank you for the very informative response, very clear.. Actually the "slave out" of the mark iv is line level, its the out used if you wanna send the mark ivs' signal to another power amp for a stereo rig (Mesas' manual for this amp is a little confusing)..

btw, from the mark ivs' slave out (line level), can i use Axefxs' "instrument input" on the front or in the back and not use the "FX LOOP" block of the axefx grid? ("amp block" is off of course) thought i ask to simplify the layout

Yes you can use the front (or rear) input 1, then your signal will appear at the far left of the grid so no need for the FX block. Unless as above you want to go the 4CM. I guess its all down to exactly how you see the rig being set up. After one week I'm sure you have loads of experimenting to do :)

Do your research... but IMHO you are starting the bad way!
Go deep inside the Axe Fx... and when you are ready... SELL YOUR MESA AND GET AN MFC101 AND 2 EXPRESSION PEDALS!!!
And you are done! :p

Yes you can use the front (or rear) input 1, then your signal will appear at the far left of the grid so no need for the FX block. Unless as above you want to go the 4CM. I guess its all down to exactly how you see the rig being set up. After one week I'm sure you have loads of experimenting to do :)

This is getting better! Do I need to change anything on I/O menu at all if i do it this way (signal/instrument level)?

The only reason im trying to do it this way is that for some reason, it feels better (not necessarily sounding better though)

This is getting better! Do I need to change anything on I/O menu at all if i do it this way (signal/instrument level)?
No not much to set up really. Only thing to check (I think) is in the I/o menu make sure you have the main input set to analogue (default setting) and that input 1 is set to front or rear (whichever you are using) and that input 1 mode is set to the correct setting (left only, L&R sum or stereo from memory) and you're good to go :)

Back
Top Bottom