Just got my Axe-Fx last night... my impressions

mistermikev

Experienced
I'm just going to put my unedited thoughts here as I'd like to check back with it as I get more familiar with the unit.

well first off this thing is noisy! jk. I think with the headroom/fidelity of this unit it makes any noise you have stand out like a soar thumb. I recently blew up my power supply in my pc and and the new wires don't have the ferrite cores around them... so I may have added a bit of noise there too. have some work to do to clean that up a bit.

I am absolutely stunned by this thing. it is so clean i feel naked and intimidated playing it. Not that I'm worthy of my other gear but dang... I am immediately struck with the feeling that I am no where near good enough to play this thing. that thought is compounded by the fidelity of the unit... hearing every little thing x10!

the fx are nothing short of impressive.
I'm surprised by how good some of the synth-type patches are. the tracking is the best I've experienced by a long shot. I kind of thought that area would be an after-thought on this device as the focus is models. It's not. I can def see diving into that area and combining with fx and losing months.

was blown away to see the availability of the 1s1588 diode as an clipping option(not to mention the option to change clipping!)... wasn't sure anyone else used those but it's a fav of mine for clipping in od pedals I've built so... noice. depth of control on this thing is like nothing I've ever played with.

the treble booster... not just a fanboy here I'll call it like I see it - it's good but not exactly what I was expecting. I've never played an original so keep that in mind to vet my observations. I've built several rangemasters/fuzz-face-variants and one of the things I love about germanium transistors is the attack on the very front of the note. Seems like this model may have had a rather subdued transistor, or perhaps I'm just used to playing with rangemaster clones that have higher gain trannies... but it doesn't quite capture that. at least not right out the gate. perhaps w some tweaking.

at first I was playing with my jem... and admittedly that is a pretty bright guitar. had a hard time doing much other than clean or super heavy with that guitar. plugged in a strat and WHOA. many of the stock presets sound "next level". usually factory presets aren't that great but found many that I loved as is. med gain is my mainstay so: "yes, this will do nicely"

plugged in a lp w emg (don't hate) just to see what overloading the front end would sound like... impressive. handles it like a champ. def found some 'brutal' patches that will work well as is.

coming from a l6 device one thing I'm a little unsure of is the fact that there isn't a page where I can just stay on the list of presets and use my keyboard to just scroll thru them. I'm only really interested in access via axe edit and you have to click... nav... click - and once you do; the focus goes elsewhere. I realize you can't cater to every whim so... just a mild observation here. perhaps I'll get used to it. perhaps I just haven't found the spot yet.

haven't said anything about the models... well what is to be said. I have helix native, came from a pod pro x: just no comparison. not even in the same zip code. I was expecting this and axe delivered.

so far only played for about 4hrs last night... lots to learn and explore.

wrt to staying on list of presets and scrolling through them (in Axe Edit).. Call up the preset list in the editor and then click the pin in the top right corner of the preset list. This will allow you to audition presets without leaving the preset list. Not in front of my gear so I can't say for certain about which keys to scroll with keyboard.

well... MikeD... not only is your work with the beastie boys outstanding (jk), but "nailed it". confirmed. there it is. thank you very much for educating me on that. does exactly what I want!

FYI - re:Ge fuzz ... needs direct wire to your pick ups w/ no buffer ... AxeFX acts buffered which doesn’t jive the same way.

Congrats on the purchase. Best MI product I’ve ever owned.

right on. I'm aware of the interaction between germanium transistors and pickups... but there are similar interactions between tube amps and pickups, wah and pickups, overdrive and pickups that have all been modeled unbelievably by axe. seems that this is one of the last places modeling has struggled to recreate effectively. I played with it a bit more last night and can def find some usable sounds there... and not trying to come off critical of fractal at all... just my observation. thank you very much for the reply.

Welcome to the Forum! The III is a beast. There are so many options, so many rabbit holes...
I highly suggest taking as much time as you can to restrain yourself. After you've fine tuned your Setup Menu....take time daily to keep things super simple. Input Block, Amp Block, Cab Block and Output Block. Learn everything you can about these blocks by reading the manual. Understanding the blocks are paramount, not only to sounding the way you want, but how the rig responds and feels to your touch! I have been an AxeFx user since 2012. I still take time to go back to these fundamental blocks and end up creating something new every time.

thank you Skunc I appreciate the reply but "TOO LATE" hehe - already head and shoulders deep!

literally jacking around with it right now... working out how to best utilize it with two tube poweramps, a triaxis, and my studio monitors - each poweramp has a direct out so... wanted to experiment with the returns from those... "I could go on".

afa reading the manual... I am devouring that thing. I love reading manuals, def something in my wheelhouse. I will take your advice and take a look at the setup menu again and consider your words... but I will infuse it with my own approach to learning new technology: "jump in and fail/struggle/recover"!

thank you again for the kind advice.

thank you Skunc I appreciate the reply but "TOO LATE" hehe - already head and shoulders deep!

literally jacking around with it right now... working out how to best utilize it with two tube poweramps, a triaxis, and my studio monitors - each poweramp has a direct out so... wanted to experiment with the returns from those... "I could go on".

afa reading the manual... I am devouring that thing. I love reading manuals, def something in my wheelhouse. I will take your advice and take a look at the setup menu again and consider your words... but I will infuse it with my own approach to learning new technology: "jump in and fail/struggle/recover"!

thank you again for the kind advice.

Watch Leon Todds Basics as well lots of good stuff in there about
Level , setting spillover etc

thank you Randal... I watched a ton of Leon's videos before I bought... he had a lot to do with my decision to buy as he gets great sounds out of it and is a fantastic player. I will go look for specifically basics.

right on. I'm aware of the interaction between germanium transistors and pickups... but there are similar interactions between tube amps and pickups, wah and pickups, overdrive and pickups that have all been modeled unbelievably by axe. seems that this is one of the last places modeling has struggled to recreate effectively. I played with it a bit more last night and can def find some usable sounds there... and not trying to come off critical of fractal at all... just my observation. thank you very much for the reply.

Just so you know, you can run the fuzz directly after your guitar and before the AxeFX.

Some people use an extra input output as a loop and then engage it (fuzz always on) via activating the loop/pathway during different scenes, however I think it still buffering at that point.

Just so you know, you can run the fuzz directly after your guitar and before the AxeFX.

Some people use an extra input output as a loop and then engage it (fuzz always on) via activating the loop/pathway during different scenes, however I think it still buffering at that point.
right on, I know, I know... but one of the (many) premises of my digital rig is to be able to save sysx to my project and (in theory) load back up exactly 'as it was'... but I get it... if I really got the itch it's an option.
I have two analog rigs where I can run that kind of stuff and perhaps this is my subconscious giving me a reason to keep them!

on another note: finished building my new studio racks and well...... really ties the room together! (my humble studio/office)

DSCN3278.JPG.8259f9237da679937e70e64e58510fe1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom