just got me that new line6 native helix !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yowza! that beest is "da bomb". I think its the future of modeling here now today. hardware is pfrrt due to this thing. you load it in something like sonar or ntrack and u will soon be destroying everything even original amps. I used it in on a big gig last night were we do a lot green day and blink and stuff and I tell you it smoked all the ears in that gig. I had a pro come up and ask me after the gig how I got that insane tone. u guyz need to really seriuosly check it out dude.
What do you use to plug your guitar into your computer?

Whether the OP is trolling or not, I tried Helix Native. I liked it, but I won't be trading the Axe FX in for a Helix, namely because the amp modeling in the Helix isn't on par with the Axe FX and anyone can prove that to themselves simply by disabling the amp block in Native and using the Axe's amp models with Native's cabs. What you'll find is that the Axe's amp models actually sound a bit brighter, clearer and have more dimension and definition. I do like the cabs in Helix Native, but when you start comparing the amp models from both using the same cabs in Native, it's obvious which amp models sound superior.

Don't get me wrong, I think Native is one of the best software modeling plugins out there now, but the modeling simply isn't on par with the Axe. That's not surprising considering how much time Cliff has spent perfecting it.

Tried it yesterday, while the axe sounds better for me in terms of dynamix and pick attack its very cool to be able to insert various instances in tracks.
Really wish Fractal did a plugin. I would buy it for sure.

Since last night was my first look into helix modeling. I definitely noticed its not up to par. Its like they made some consistent eq's that guitarists generally are looking for and placed them on each amp model. So no surprise to many there.

Things I liked about helix native. Most obvious
-Plugin format (obviously)
-Rotary effects, how they have actual Leslie Cabinets modeled. It was quick to get a nice rotary going.
-Some of the fx, seemed a bit better or different anyhow. (some did not)
-a couple easy reverb presets
-Whammy seemed easier to obtain a good sound
-I like having icons in the for the different types in each block

Cons
-It seems easier to route and move things around in axe edit (probably due to my long fas experience)
-some fx certainly did not seem as good to me. Drives, reverb, delays
-Cabs are no where near on par as the stock selection we have in the Axe FX
-General amp tone/modeling not as good as Fractal (even when using third party IRs)
- Do not like the parameter adjustments, meaning the lines for each setting. I'm biased to knobs i guess. (more preference)

All in all its a nice thing to have but I don't think I'll be paying 400 for it. A good price for someone who doesn't have a good hardware modeler (axe, kemper, helix hardware).

+1 for FAS to come out with a plug-in format or just more plug-ins in general besides their reverb (which is awesome).

Guys, you are replying in complete articulate sentences with punctuation, capitalization, and good grammar. There is no place for that sort of thing in this thread.

u need be using txt wrds here bro, like a 14 year old. u know wha i saying bro. acting ignant is kool bro, nobody got time 4 skool cuz we street, we hard bro, u got da problemz wit da way i talk bro? Helix all day bro, it fo realz, strait up. i try dat shizz on my cuzins pc, it strait up killz, they give me copy 6 months ago cuz im in da know, cuzin has sweet hookup bro. Rest of da game be all prfft, l6=truth bro!!!!!

I spent a couple of hours with it today, thinking that maybe it could be a nice backup when the AX8 is not home with me... but ultimately I just cannot be arsed to learn how to do all the stuff I know how to do in AX8-edit. Sounds were 'ok', but not much more than that. Stock presets were crap. Not spending $400 on that.
Interface is btw pretty, but it is showing a lot of not so interesting information (like a massive list of all your presets), and not a lot of what would be interesting (like parameters).

Gave it a go and didn't like it at all.
The interface feels like a mobile app.
It's not stand alone
Tried the Divded By 13 Amp and they don't seem to acknowledge it doesn't have a master volume and to be honest I think it only gave me a flavour of what i'm used to rather than the full articulate sound of the Axe model.
I should have tried it will the IRs i'm using but ultimately I can't be arsed.
Like I said to someone else today it feels like you need to learn the plugin and nothing to do with the real amp.
I just find it easier to learn about the amp then goto the Axe and replicate.

The effects I used in Native lacked the versatility, depth and sonic dimensionality of the Axe's effects.

And on another note, I really love the layout, functionality and tweakability of Axe-Edit. Native's editor made me appreciate just how great Axe-Edit really is. Native's editor feels cramped and lacks the intuitiveness and depth of Axe-Edit.

I'm glad Line6 released Helix in plugin format because, now, a lot of guitarists who own the Axe and are tempted to buy the Helix hardware (based on some rave reviews) can try the demo and see for themselves just how it stacks up against the Axe without laying down $1000+ or selling their unit.

Last edited:
dudes the helix sounds awesome. did another gig last might and got a wild hendrix tone sorta like a plexy. I love it. I used in reeper this time and no pops gliches or slow downs. I know axefx is real good 2 but u get what u pay for and for most that helix is just fine for mad sound. besides most dudes at gigs dont really care about tone like snobs do coz cox there partying and hangin just for the fun and getting hammered

dudes the helix sounds awesome. did another gig last might and got a wild hendrix tone sorta like a plexy. I love it. I used in reeper this time and no pops gliches or slow downs. I know axefx is real good 2 but u get what u pay for and for most that helix is just fine for mad sound. besides most dudes at gigs dont really care about tone like snobs do coz cox there partying and hangin just for the fun and getting hammered

Just as I wouldn't trust some drunk guy to engineer my sound, I wouldn't base the quality of my tones on how a group of drunks respond to them.

....that helix is just fine for mad sound. besides most dudes at gigs dont really care about tone like snobs do coz cox there partying and hangin just for the fun and getting hammered
I don't want a "mad" sound - I want a happy sound. :) As for being a tone snob, I care about my tone because it either inspires me or it doesn't. I care what an audience hears but if my tone does feel and sound right I won't play my best.

633645003725135464.jpg

Got to say I actually kind of like his phrase "sky high stacks"..... I mean, I've never had a promoter offer to pay me in pancakes, but hey, compensation is compensation right ?

In all seriousness, I downloaded the program about an hour ago and played with it a bit in Ableton.... I did have a little fun trying to figure out what the known song presets where supposed to be "Purple Royalty" for Purple Rain, Royal Duo for the band Royal Blood etc, so I will say there is a wide range of presets in there, but I wont go as far as to say they sound good to my ears.

Honestly, this any Guitar Rig (which I got bundled with the NI Komplete Bundle) sound fairly similar to me, at least on the surface. Just kind of thin, buzzy and for lack of better work, fake.

I loaded up a Plexi and a few similar amp patchs, and I'm listening through a nice set of coaxial desktop monitors, as well as my Atomic CLR, so its not like I'm using desktop speakers, and using my strat everything just sounded quite the same. Just didn't have that "kerrrrang" Marshall tone you can get on the Axe or the real amp

Some of the cleans were okay sounding, but again it juts sounded, and felt, a bit 1 dimensional to me. I think people could make good music with it, but it didn't feel like I was playing the actual amps when I closed my eyes, with touch of dynamics and unique tonal variety amp to amp.

I will spend more time with it, but I think my Axe isn't going anywhere. I honestly was reading reviews at work today and was thinking, maybe if this thing sounds great, I could see selling the hardware, but certainly wont be doing that anytime soon I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom