Just got back from a concert...

Meaning you don't agree with it? If so, would it be more acceptable if they had a guitar tech switching effects and stomping on pedals for them, as it has been "traditionally" done for decades?

Its probably more about them playing to a rigid click track than the actual stomping/changing presets themselves.

Ughh, the tones on Chaosphere are gross to me! Actually the entire mix on that album is weak IMO. I prefer Nothing, Catch 33 production wise. DEI is a CLASSIC album and the tones on that were pretty good. But Chaosphere is my least favorite musically anyway, which may skew my opinion. Either way, BEST EXTREME METAL BAND PERIOD!

Their live sound is fantastic too :)

I've not heard Meshuggah's music. What recordings should I start with?

Musically, it really varies from person to person. Some people prefer the more varied approach of the earlier records like DEI (one of my personal favs) and Chaosphere (my personal least fav), other like their more modern approach that they did starting around the Nothing era. Nothing is a really great record to start with IMO. Its heavy, grooves like a MF, and has great production. Destroy Erase Improve is a CLASSIC album, like go down in history classic. They are all good, but Meshuggah in general can definitely be an acquired taste. Some of their records like Catch 33 and especially "I" are almost an endurance test for your brain. Instant ego death :)

Lol, clearly, everyone has their own preferences. My favourite tracks are "Bleed", "New Millennium Cyanide Christ" and "Future Breed Machine". Have a listen and see what you think.

Meshuggah is not for everyone, though. A lot of people say their tone is "sterile", blah blah, but for that kind of low end on their 8 string guitars, it works perfectly.

Lol, clearly, everyone has their own preferences. My favourite tracks are "Bleed", "New Millennium Cyanide Christ" and "Future Breed Machine". Have a listen and see what you think.

Meshuggah is not for everyone, though. A lot of people say their tone is "sterile", blah blah, but for that kind of low end on their 8 string guitars, it works perfectly.

"Tranquility created by raging turbulence."

One of my favorite lyrics from them and it also perfectly describes the effect of their music.

I've not heard Meshuggah's music. What recordings should I start with?

Meshuggah is an experience, I swear it is capable of changing your brain chemistry. Sometimes it is a painful ride, sometimes cathartic, sometimes energizing but always...always intense.

Listen to Bleed from Obzen if you want to know what it is like to have an aneurysm...no joke, it's what the song is about and the first time I heard it I had no idea and felt like my brain was exploding. It seems repeditive at first but then it sinks in and you realize that it has subtle changes all throughout.

Pineal Glad Optics on the same album is probably my fav song by them. It starts off with this very slow and diliberate build until the song changes drastically and becomes the heaviest most fear infused track I've ever heard. If you want to know what it feels like to nearly loose your life, this song is the soundtrack to clinging on to what is most precious.

Combustion on Obzen will make you speed in your car if you are driving or run faster or lift more weight or .... I CAN NOT sit still when I hear it, period. When I saw them live a few months ago, when this song hit it was CHAOS! Mixed with the gnarliest light show in the biz, I thought I was seizuring and when I left the venue I felt taxed in a way that only seldom happens. I looked around and everyone was in a sort of daze after the show, like we were all shell shocked.

Catch-33 is really one big song if you ask me. The entire album has a reoccurring theme and if you play it front to back, it takes you on a journey. The highlight for me on this on is In Death is Life and then In Death is Death.

Rational Gaze and Straws Pulled At Random are highlights on the album Nothing. I prefer the "remastered" version of this album as the original just seems too high pitched and harsh.

On their newest album, Koloss, the songs Break Those Bones Whose..., and Demiurge are epic. Interestingly, one of the most crushing tracks isn't typical chugging. Of course I speak about The Last Vigil, listen to that after an intense moment of your life, whether it's a near death experience, a strenuous workout that drives you to vomiting or passing out, or after some other trauma and you WILL cry. I played that song in a dark room and I had no idea at the time where it came from but I burst into tears. Apparently, several losses of friends to war and cancer and a few close calls myself had built up and it came right out. While I'm no tough guy, crying isn't a typical response for me so it surprised me and I could not control it. Pent up emotion is bad for you, I like many in our modern sterile world have a tendency to disconnect from it. Meshuggah reconnects me with some of those base emotions that we all try and hide from.

The above are just a few of the highlights and experiances for me, I've left out much(like I or None) but if you seek these tunes out it should give you a pretty good idea of what Meshuggah is about. Like has been said, it might not be your cup of tea but if you take the time to let it sink in, it make you feel.

Some cool observations and counters in this thread :encouragement:

I can appreciate 'shuggah from a musical & technical perspective, but sadly, I've never gotten into the Cookie Monster vocal thing. Phil Anselmo was probably about as far as I could ever go, but man, that guy could 'sing' well too!

Some cool observations and counters in this thread :encouragement:

I can appreciate 'shuggah from a musical & technical perspective, but sadly, I've never gotten into the Cookie Monster vocal thing. Phil Anselmo was probably about as far as I could ever go, but man, that guy could 'sing' well too!

I used to suffer the same fate...but by the time Lamb of God came out I finally realized that the best metal bands have screamers/growlers for vocalists'. Get used to it or listen to another genre. I suffered for years complaining"where are all the great metal bands?" They were there, just I'd dismiss them as soon as I heard vocals. Unfortunately I did the same with one of my guitar heroes, Chuck Schuldiner (RIP) and because of that I never got to see him live. The most important elements in metal to me are guitar and drums, so I'll never make that mistake again. I'm loving Decapitated, who I checked out cuz Joe from Gojira said they were sick and they are :) I also finally started buying Six Feet Under cd's...brutal heavy stuff...love it! Embrace the abrasive, don't miss out on awesome music cuz of vocalists. Or you could try Opeth or something :)

It's my opinion that playing to a perfect schedule like computer-timed switching removes the "live" element from a performance.

A valid opinion and true in many cases. But this band has to be on a perfect schedule anyway so they can all play in their different meters and all get to the same place at the same time! I have NO idea how they do it. It sounds so chaotic yet it's perfectly precise and controlled. To put it another way, you'll never see a band that's less about spontaneity than Meshuggah. That's just what some of us love about them.

Last summer I got to play with Periphery, The saftey fire and Protest the Hero. It was amazing to see some of the shit they had. Periphery and the safety fire had the best sound by far and I'lll let you guess what they were using. Hint: It wasn't an amp.

Ditto. I'm more into 80s/90s Heavy Metal singers; Dio, Ozzy, Hetfield, Anselmo. They sold more records too :) Next step: Justin Bieber.

Same here man...I'm 43 and saw all those guys live multiple times, every time they came to town. But, those days are gone. I still love metal, but you can only listen to the same bands and the same albums for so long. Out of necessity I retooled my idea of an acceptable metal vocalist. Adapt, or as a metal head...die :)

Perhaps, but Rock 'n Roll came from Blues and Blues aren't dead :)

Adapting is always good, but so is going in new/different directions. Afterall, today's "cookie monster vocals" came from the 80s.

Here's a track with real singing vocals from 2009:

still sells :)

Not into the blues...this discussion began with Meshuggah...and metal. I was (am) a huge Dio/Sabbath fan. Both of them peaked long ago in my opinion. And as far as "sales"...who gives a shit? This is metal! Im not in it for the love. If I was I'D be listening to Bieber...

lol at comments about "all good metal bands have cookie vocals" in a thread about a Devin Townsend show.

Imma leave this here:

If cookie monster isn't your thing, there's still tons of every kind of metal imaginable out there with clean vocals right now. Even the newer math bands have clean vocalists now, a la Periphery and such. Even tech death band Cynic has eschewed cookie vocals for an all clean approach on the last two albums. I feel that it's actually the harsh screaming that's on it's way out.

I can highly recommend sacred mother tongues new album out of the darkness, if your not a fan of the screaming lyrics whilst that style gives a lot of people listening pleasure it's not for me either.

Back
Top Bottom