Just got AxeII... wow, fan noise.

The chance of foreign objects being introduced inside the AxeFx (especially since owners are going to baby it) is very, very small.
I'm not sure what you're thinking of when you use the term "foreign objects", but have you ever looked at how much dust and lint can get pulled inside the chassis by a computer fan? It can get to be pretty significant over time.

Terry.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of when you use the term "foreign objects", but have you ever looked at how much dust and lint can get pulled inside the chassis by a computer fan? It can get to be pretty significant over time.

Terry.

Your right, but cleaning it once in a while is not worth potential increased reliability. You do the same thing with laptops, power amps, etc. not very difficult.

Rehash of your thread 2 years ago. Same issue, same answers.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-discussion/20428-axe-fx-heating.html

I guess I'm still flabbergasted that we are still discussing this. Anyone who has fan complaints has OPTIONS. Get a new fan, put it in a muffled rack, put it in another room; if you're a serious studio guy who needs a perfectly quiet room to record loud guitars these solutions should not be a problem. But it seems we need to constantly 'vent' (ha!) that it should have been done stock. I personally don't agree with that. I play in a very small room often late at night at low volumes, and it rarely bothers me.

Would it make anyone feel better or change the situation if Cliff came up tomorrow and said 'should have put a quieter fan in there'? No. (Unless all your angling for is to have Fractal pay for it...) Make the alteration if you want, and move on. PLEASE.

Ron

Maybe it is a rehash, but doubling the processors increases the heat in the enclosure compared to the Ultra. As far as noise, I didn't complain about the noise, the II that I have is not that bad. Heat is much more of a concern. Just made an observation that since unit creates more heat than the Ultra, venting might impact reliability to a greater extent.

Your right, but cleaning it once in a while is not worth potential increased reliability. You do the same thing with laptops, power amps, etc. not very difficult.
It's not difficult to do, if you're technically inclined. More importantly, it's one of those things that many/most would not think to do on a consistent basis IMHO (out of sight; out of mind).

Terry.

I think cliff understands the heat transfer properties in the box he designed.[/QUOTE

I don't think that was ever in question. I'm sure it's designed within thermal tolerance levels for the sharcs. I'm just saying that the cooler you can keep the chip, the less chance of failure you have, nothing more.

I've got mine under punishing tropical conditions in a tight-fitting, padded Gator bag running for hours at a time. I do not expect any trouble from a hardcore professional piece of gear designed for this very scenario within the temperature range laid out in the manual (=50 degrees Celsius ambient temperature. This will make you run for cover instead of wanting to play guitar, btw...).
The Gator muffles the fan very effectively as well, but noise-wise I'm kinda with Mark Day here...:|

Benji

I think cliff understands the heat transfer properties in the box he designed.

I don't think that was ever in question. I'm sure it's designed within thermal tolerance levels for the sharcs. I'm just saying that the cooler you can keep the chip, the less chance of failure you have, nothing more.

This is only true to an extent. Semiconductors are designed to operate within a certain thermal range. As long as you're not close to the maximum operating temperature, it doesn't matter how hot your chip gets. It won't affect reliability any more than a foreign object getting inside the enclosure and shorting out part of the circuit.

Last edited:
Playing through multiple 4x12's in a really loud band for over 30 yrs has given me some nasty tinnitus.

Fan noise to me is as comforting as placing my head on a perfectly matched set of perky boobs :)

Mark

---
I am here: Google Maps

LMAO with our without tinnitus it's my happy place ... baby! get over here!

My experience has been that the fan in my Ultra is easily three times as loud as my AFX II. I haven't heard any speed fluctuations, either.

TT

Yep, you need to slightly enlarge the plastic holes with a drill bit.
Working great here, and quiet.

The fan is not noisy to me and I think it is a very important part of the Axe.....I mean I play at very low volumes at home and i don´t hear it, obviously if I stop playing and want to check something without making any noise from my guitar i hear it, but...I am ok, have you heared the fan of a Road King II?...it is noisy too...but keeps the head cool and out of problems. Any ways those are my toughts, if there is a fan, it is because it is needed to cool the very hot interior of the unit

Best
jp

Now I read this from http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/40768-so-where-eus-afx2s-cliff-anyone-53.html

I recently mailed Sussi about the fan-noise. There are rumors that they are working on a solution to the noise-problem. Still nothing concrete but they are looking at different fans.
As you can read underneath the latest Peter Autschbach youtube video (tag: hotimprovisor) he calls the sound level ridiculous.

Certainly not wanting to create any disturbance but can anybody tell the honest truth here?

Now I read this from http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/40768-so-where-eus-afx2s-cliff-anyone-53.html

Certainly not wanting to create any disturbance but can anybody tell the honest truth here?

Many people have complained about the fan in this thread alone, nevermind the entire forum with the same conclusion: Yes, the fan sucks, some fans more than others but truth is always relative and subjective. Anyone can replace it with a more quiet one (or go nuts & put an active cooler in it) and be done. I wouldn't expect FAS to replace it. Hope this helps.

If you play on monitors or real cab at a decent level, you won't even notice that there's a fan inside.
If you play in your bedroom with headphones, you're going to hear it loud.

If you play on monitors or real cab at a decent level, you won't even notice that there's a fan inside.
If you play in your bedroom with headphones, you're going to hear it loud.

I practice with headphones at a reasonable level, and I can't hear the fan at all.

I can't hear mine with headphones either (that is when I'm playing -hardly hear when not with the seal of the headphones.

Back
Top Bottom