Just got Axe-Fx 3...never been more frustrated

Anyone that glossed over the USB details on the website or in the manual and just read "8x8 USB interface" and moved on could easily be confused or frustrated because it is anything but a typical 8x8 audio interface. Quite frankly, that's a good thing IMO. The AxeIII USB interface implementation was optimized for guitar recording (including reamping) as well as using it for guitar performance augmented with the wealth of plugins out there.

Having said all that, it's not hard to imagine wanting to use the USB ins and outs differently within that same usage framework which is what the OP was going for. Having multiple USB Ins could be nice as well as having some alternate sends. I don't know if it's possible though.

Anyone that glossed over the USB details on the website or in the manual and just read "8x8 USB interface" and moved on could easily be confused or frustrated because it is anything but a typical 8x8 audio interface.
Plus, FAS describing it as “Ultimate Flexibility” and “The center of your music workstation” doesn't help the matter. It's rather decidedly the opposite of both, in terms of how it compares with other USB interfaces.

That's not to say it isn't awesome. It is. It's just not a typical interface.

It's designed to confuse idiots I think. It does everything in one way or another. It just has all the routing in the preset realm, for now, until you can save preset routing configurations as a sub preset, or save block chains as a group to drop in on top of existing layouts.

OP was thinking you set it up like an Apollo, send everything through the front, put your gear in a loop, and start scrolling through the sounds. That's not how it's built, it's a preamp with an interface in it, not an interface with a preamp in it.

Plus, FAS describing it as “Ultimate Flexibility” and “The center of your music workstation” doesn't help the matter. It's rather decidedly the opposite of both, in terms of how it compares with other USB interfaces.

That's not to say it isn't awesome. It is. It's just not a typical interface.
Given that the Axe FX is specifically designed as a guitar processor, I have always understood these statements as “Ultimate Flexibility in integrating your guitar rig with your music workstation” and “The center of your guitars music workstation”. The Axe is clearly marketed as a guitar processor, as such statements within the manual should be evaluated within that context. Context matters.

The manual was written with specific context in mind. For people to say “Well I interpret it this way so what the manual says is deceptive” seems like an attempt to define an alternate context in order to foster a perception that something shady is afoot. Such mental gymnastics do not have merit IMO.

...OP was thinking you set it up like an Apollo, send everything through the front, put your gear in a loop, and start scrolling through the sounds. That's not how it's built, it's a preamp with an interface in it, not an interface with a preamp in it.
Exactly

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's post here and frankly am blown away by the firmware release that addresses some of the issues brought up. I will definitely be keeping the unit.

I am more of a writer who experiments a lot (a la Nine Inch Nails) so flexibility, experimentation and quality are all extremely important to me. This unit sounds amazing and I look forward to providing value in the community where I can.

My takeaways from the thread are the following:
1. Assignable USB IO is a great feature. Unbelievable response and timing from Fractal on adding that feature in the firmware release.
2. Global FX loop inserts (either first in a chain or last) would be interesting. I could almost envision you setting a global In and Out pair that you want to focus on and applying presets to that global IO. You could then apply different presets to different IO pairs. Very powerful

This is a good community here and I appreciate everyone's input.

Ok so now "UltimateFlexibility in integrating your guitar rigwith your music workstation” and “The center of your guitars music workstation" are true sentences.

End of discussion.

No. You may have misunderstood the feature implemented in 2.01. All it does is allow you to send input 2,3, or 4 out usb 7/8. This is good for people who are connecting a stereo source to the analog input and want to record it in their daw.

No offense but this does nothing in terms of how I use the axe. What Cliff alluded to is much more complicated and should solve our concerns but as he said, they haven’t decided to do it yet. It definitely involves a new usb driver, changes to axe edit, updates to the manual, and inevitably a learning curve. So I understand the hesitancy to commit to it.

Currently I’m using multiple axefxs as effects loops (2 stereo loops per axe) via usb. I do not use the analog io - but would use analog input 1 if I could. That’s not possible at the moment because it IN 1 will interfere with IN1 used as USB send from the computer.

Trust me, I’m not a novice and I can show in detail the complications with the current setup but if it will help fractal improve on the firmware. However, by Cliffs response, I’m pretty sure he understands it :0)

Glad you are keeping it. This community is one of the best. Most companies forget you after the purchase. FAS listens to it users and acts on valid and doable requests like no other company I have ever dealt with.

You wouldn't think the above scenario that unfolded this weekend is the norm around here but it is which is amazing in so many ways. Hopefully, Cliff will expand the scope to include the complexity Grape and others desire.

Welcome to the family!

Last edited:
No. You may have misunderstood the feature implemented in 2.01. All it does is allow you to send input 2,3, or 4 out usb 7/8. This is good for people who are connecting a stereo source to the analog input and want to record it in their daw.

No offense but this does nothing in terms of how I use the axe. What Cliff alluded to is much more complicated and should solve our concerns but as he said, they haven’t decided to do it yet. It definitely involves a new usb driver, changes to axe edit, updates to the manual, and inevitably a learning curve. So I understand the hesitancy to commit to it.

Currently I’m using multiple axefxs as effects loops (2 stereo loops per axe) via usb. I do not use the analog io - but would use analog input 1 if I could. That’s not possible at the moment because it IN 1 will interfere with IN1 used as USB send from the computer.

Trust me, I’m not a novice and I can show in detail the complications with the current setup but if it will help fractal improve on the firmware. However, by Cliffs response, I’m pretty sure he understands it :0)
I wrote that post before the firmware was released, the details emerged later. Anyway Cliff wrote that for now he didn't allow full flexibility of the I/O routing cuz it will be a nightmare for technical assistance, but if there's enough request for that I'm sure he will implement it.

I wrote that post before the firmware was released, the details emerged later. Anyway Cliff wrote that for now he didn't allow full flexibility of the I/O routing cuz it will be a nightmare for technical assistance, but if there's enough request for that I'm sure he will implement it.

Yes I see the timeline now. But no, that’s not quite what Cliff said. He only made input 2-4 assignable to USB out 7/8 for now but could have done it all... opted not to because of the hard coded io names in the usb firmware. THAT is what would cause the support nightmare and I fully agree.

Sorry if I seem to be nitpicking but I want to be clear about what is, will be, and may be in the future instead of causing additional conflict.

I appreciate everyone's post here and frankly am blown away by the firmware release that addresses some of the issues brought up. I will definitely be keeping the unit.

Can you believe it? First time user with 7 forum posts makes direct contact with developer causing immediate firmware update in a span of 12 hours. That's bonkers. Can't wait to see where else the AFX3 goes in development.

Back
Top Bottom