Just got an Axe Fx 2 XL, can't connect via USB on Mac, please help.

I have installed the driver and Fractal bot, and also downloaded the latest FW and Axe Edit.

I have connected it via USB, when i open Fractalbot, select Axe 2 XL and go to select a port, there is no Axe FX port, i've even tried creating a new port and i'm using a known working cable, I've tried everything i can and no joy, please help me guys.

Thanks,

Iain.

Last edited:
Shows up as 'Vendor specific device' in system report.
It does not show up in sound preferences or the Audio Midi Setup as if the driver hasn't loaded but i've installed it three times now.
I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5
Quantum 2

Last edited:
did you restart the computer after installing the drivers and programs? some times this does it.

Lain,

Are you attempting to connect to use Axe-Edit, or to get audio for a DAW (or both)?

On my iMac, I always start the computer first, then start the Axe Fx, then start Fractal Bot when going USB. As soon as I select the device, it automatically selects the ports for me. I am on El Capitan 10.11.6, but it has worked this way for some time. Axe-Edit also connects this way.

I don't have my XL+ in the music room right now, but tested with the AX8 and all worked as it should. Give that a shot (the starting order) and let me know.

Lain,

Are you attempting to connect to use Axe-Edit, or to get audio for a DAW (or both)?

On my iMac, I always start the computer first, then start the Axe Fx, then start Fractal Bot when going USB. As soon as I select the device, it automatically selects the ports for me. I am on El Capitan 10.11.6, but it has worked this way for some time. Axe-Edit also connects this way.

I don't have my XL+ in the music room right now, but tested with the AX8 and all worked as it should. Give that a shot (the starting order) and let me know.
Just done that for the 4th or 5th time still nothing.

Ok so i've just connected it to my mrs macbook and it's worked straight away, the driver is obviously not installing on my machine correctly, i'm no computer expert, does anyone know how or why that might be happening?

You say you have a Known working cable, but if you haven't tried another one it's worth a shot..and maybe too obvious, but use a different USB input on your IMac....I think what @electronpirate says about bad USB port may be the case,

Ok so i've just connected it to my mrs macbook and it's worked straight away, the driver is obviously not installing on my machine correctly, i'm no computer expert, does anyone know how or why that might be happening?
That's actually good news... it eliminates the Axe FX for the most part and means there is a computer you can highjack to test things. Personal cost may be high, though! :)

As EP noted above, a cable or USB port problem are possibilities. I have had glitchy results with longer cables, though some here never have an issue. When all else fails, I connect with a short (2m, 6 ft) cable and it sometimes cures my ills.

If you'll include a little more info on what kind of Mac you're using, it might help. I also found a conflict with some other drivers can cause this. Some audio drivers, like ProTools, can have a really proprietary behavior with other audio drivers. I haven't experienced it with the Axe Fx, though. Just throwing out thoughts that might spark something for you (such as what drivers are on your machine that aren't on hers, etc).

That's actually good news... it eliminates the Axe FX for the most part and means there is a computer you can highjack to test things. Personal cost may be high, though! :)

As EP noted above, a cable or USB port problem are possibilities. I have had glitchy results with longer cables, though some here never have an issue. When all else fails, I connect with a short (2m, 6 ft) cable and it sometimes cures my ills.

If you'll include a little more info on what kind of Mac you're using, it might help. I also found a conflict with some other drivers can cause this. Some audio drivers, like ProTools, can have a really proprietary behavior with other audio drivers. I haven't experienced it with the Axe Fx, though. Just throwing out thoughts that might spark something for you (such as what drivers are on your machine that aren't on hers, etc).
I used the same cable, i'm on a 2010 27" iMac quad core i7 It's running 10.10.5 same as her machine, though the macbook is new.

I used the same cable, i'm on a 2010 27" iMac quad core i7 It's running 10.10.5 same as her machine, though the macbook is new.
Computer is fine, I am on a mid-2011 iMac 27 with a quad core i7 also, it runs the software just fine. One more thing eliminated.

Back
Top Bottom