Just got a Verve 12ma... and it rocks!

xpenno

Power User
So I ordered an FBT Verve 12ma after reading so many positive reviews of the unit. It arrived on Thursday and I played my first gig through it on Saturday. I currently own a QSC HPR122i as well as an RCF ART310A and have never been fully happy with either of the other 2 in particular in how my sound translates to both FOH and recording direct both of which needed a lot of tweaking to get results that I was happy with. Just so you know where I am coming from with my setup I am looking for great mic’d up amp tones that sound the same (or as close as possible) on stage, front of house and direct into my DAW. If you are looking for the much sought after “amp in the room” sound that is mentioned so much here then I’m afraid I cannot help.

Here is a very brief IMHO comparison of the three broken down into the two factors the matter to me.

Size/Weight/Construction

RCF – It’s the lightest of the bunch and is very portable and compact since it’s made from a composite material and has a 10” speaker. It’s very well put together and as such pretty much ticks all of the boxes in this category.

QSC – The heaviest of the three by some way, this is a beast. It is big and cumbersome and a combination of these two factors made me soon tired of lugging it to rehearsal and gigs. Construction-wise it’s very well put together and I have no complaints here.

FBT – I have to say that I was very surprised when the box turned up and I unpacked it, I was expecting something similar in size to the QSC but it is actually much closer to the size of the RCF, big tick here. The FBT is pretty much in the middle of the QSC and RCF weight-wise but due to the much smaller dimensions is much more portable that the QSC and easy to carry one handed, another big tick. The FBT is similar in construction to the QSC and is a quality unit, three from three!

Tone/Feel/Musicality

RCF – This is a great little speaker, tone-wise it’s pretty solid, however the low end can get loose if you’re not careful, I found myself over compensating for this and my tones were getting really thin. The biggest problem for me with the RCF was going from a decent sounding preset into front of house/direct DAW. It just didn’t translate. High mids and low end seemed so far out of whack and I couldn’t get a sound that worked for both backline and FOH.

QSC – This speaker is very solid sounding but I found it a little sterile (for want of a better word) The top end (maybe upper mids too) seemed harsh and dialling things out ended up making things dull before they sounded better. The low end was great and packed a serious punch but it was hard to dial in across the whole frequency range and once I got as close as I could the sound wasn’t so good out front. My final gripe with the QSC is probably the hardest to describe, it is with regards to feel of the tones that come out of the speaker. No matter how much feel you put in you got the same ‘stiff’ sound out, trying very hard of ways to describe this it was like the amp/speaker couldn’t breathe, like the speaker movement was restricted, don’t know if that makes sense....

FBT – I plugged in and loaded up a few presets, my first impressions were that it had a lot less low end than the QSC but it was way more natural than the RCF. I tweaked a few of the presets and restored some of the low end that I had previously chopped out and the tones filled out very nicely. I then looked at the top end and noticed that there was a lot of it, it wasn’t harsh it was just more pronounced. I dialled it back down a little and my rough base patches (amp, cab + rev) were sounding great! Created a couple of new patches with amp defaults and was loving what I heard and felt from the speaker, it was more like dialling in a real amp instead of completely re-working everything with eq’s etc... I switched the cables over into my DAW and checked on my monitors (KRK Rokit G8’s) and it sounded very similar to what I heard from the FBT, great start. I created a base set of 6 patches (Fender Clean, AC30, Plexi, High Gain JCM800, Euro2 and Recto Orange) all of which were now using in built cabs (previously redwirez) for my gig on Saturday and dialled them in over Fri/Sat setup my IAs etc.. and packed everything up. Arrived at the gig and setup had a quick play and all was well the patches were still sounding great. We didn’t get time to sound check so we did a quick level check and off we went. My patches fit right in with the band mix and inspired me to play well all gig (like I said IMHO ;) notes were jumping out and breathing like I would expect. I went out front a couple of times and everything sounded fantastic there too, after the gig a number of people commented on how great my guitar sounded, the rest of the band also commented on how good it sounded, I was so happy. For me the 12ma not only sounds and feels great but because it works so well (for me) it has allowed me to create better patches on my AxeFX that translate between stage, FOH and recording.

To me this is the start of a new journey with my AxeFX, I’ve gone back to stock cabs (from Redwirez) which sound great now, I’ve gone back to check out the stock presets and these are sounding great and giving me new ideas to start building my new tones. I am really glad that I decided to try the 12ma and I think it will be with me for a long time to come. I am all too familiar with the honeymoon period effect so I’ll update after a couple of months to see if I still feel the same way, but thanks for reading and I hope this helps someone out there ? As for my QSC that has been resigned to vocal foldback for the band and the RCF looks destined for ebay ;)

Spence

Spence,

Thanks much for your review!! I started out (and am still using) an EV300Sx speaker with a QSC power amp, and have never been fully satisfied with it's performance. It's bright, but also harsh seeming with out some global E.Q. tricks, and the mids seem congested.

I decided to order up a Verve 12ma and should have it either late this week or early next week. The place I ordered from said they're drop shipped from the distributor in Florida, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as shipping and tracking info, I haven't received anything yet.

Anyway, your review is exactly what I wanted to hear. Sounds like the Verve 12ma are the best price/performance ratio in their category. I look forward to getting my 12ma.

-Seth

Spence. . . thank you for your detailed comments and in particular, thank you for your thoughts on the impact each solution had on consistency across different systems (recording, self-monitoring and FOH). A comparison to your KRK's was great to see.

I look forward to hearing your post-honeymoon update in a couple of months!

Can you comment further on the move from RedWirez IR's back to the internal IR's? Is it simpler to work with the internal IR's? Do they produce better results?

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
Spence. . . thank you for your detailed comments and in particular, thank you for your thoughts on the impact each solution had on consistency across different systems (recording, self-monitoring and FOH). A comparison to your KRK's was great to see.

I look forward to hearing your post-honeymoon update in a couple of months!

Can you comment further on the move from RedWirez IR's back to the internal IR's? Is it simpler to work with the internal IR's? Do they produce better results?

Terry.

No probs Terry.

As for the Redwirez I do really like them but there are so many that I was completely lost, I am no expert when it comes to micing cabs and what mics sound like what but I was auditioning cabs all night and what I thought sounded good one day didn't sound good the next etc...

I really went back to basics and loaded all of the presets into the new editor and auditioned them over a few days and removing any that didn't work for me. I then had a look into what amp/cab combos worked for my ears and used them as a starting point to head towards the tones in my head. Previously my method was starting with the amp/cab that I thought I should be using based on real world knowledge and then trying to fix it with eq etc.. Using my new method I was getting much better results than I was previously and I have decided to stick with it for the time being.

Also I was finding that Redwirez , although had a good overall tone, had a little strange edge to them almost like they have some grit in them. I know grit is not a great way to describe a tone but the stock cabs at this point sound more polished.

Hope that sort of explains things....

Spence

xpenno said:
I really went back to basics and loaded all of the presets into the new editor and auditioned them over a few days and removing any that didn't work for me. I then had a look into what amp/cab combos worked for my ears and used them as a starting point to head towards the tones in my head. Previously my method was starting with the amp/cab that I thought I should be using based on real world knowledge and then trying to fix it with eq etc.. Using my new method I was getting much better results than I was previously and I have decided to stick with it for the time being.
I'm going to have to try this. I've been using your old approach, and it seems more time consuming than it should be.

xpenno said:
Hope that sort of explains things....
That helps a great deal Spence. . . . thanks!

Terry.

arrrr pity you live so far away Spence. I'm in the North East but would love to come and hear your band and how well your setup sits in the mix. Glad to hear your happy with your rig!

Great post that shows how critical a good FRFR is for dialing tones. You can go cheaper, but you really pay for it in the time spent compensating for shortcomings of the cheaper cab.

setzinger said:
Hi Spence,

have you tested the three speakers with an acoustic guitar also?

Thanks for your detailed report!

I just got my 12ma last night and it's everything I hoped it would be so far, and I've only just begun dialing in my own patches. It's worlds better than the EV300Sx I was using. I was able to go in and set my global EQ flat again.

I have an acoustic guitar patch I built awhile back and I will try it out tonight and let you know how it sounds with the new Verve.

Got my Verve in today, and it pretty much is everything i was looking for and more (other than shipping wasn't completely gentle with the damn box, resulting in a small chip on the back of the verve)

Sounds amazing

Stillborn said:
Got my Verve in today, and it pretty much is everything i was looking for and more (other than shipping wasn't completely gentle with the damn box, resulting in a small chip on the back of the verve)

Sounds amazing

What were you using prior to the Verve?

Warrior said:
Stillborn said:

Sounds amazing

What were you using prior to the Verve?

a pair of samson rubicon r8a's, or i'd i practice quietly through a pair of beyerdynamic dt990 pro headphones into my daw(i still will use the beyer's when I want to practice at very low volumes).

but yea verve>>>>>>everything i've tried thus far.

Just ordered one in hopes it will give the same improvements over my QSC HPR122i that others have experienced.

Back
Top Bottom