Just got a shipping notification for my new RAC12!

There was a time when synths had similar devices to use with them. You could still program them via menu, buttons and a few knobs but there were (maybe there still are) separate boxes full of sliders and knobs to give you access to lots of parameters all at once.

To be clear I'm not referring to the kinds of general purposes MIDI controllers boxes like Behringer makes but specific models for specific models of synths.

What's all this tactile bullsh}t? I mean, arent' we beyond touch;

Or are we just out of touch?

I think this is a really cool product. Of course I personally want a unit that lets me use my MIDI controller to adjust the various additional knobs and costs $100. Is that possible?

But can you imagine telling a non-keyboard playing guitarist to control his amp using a MIDI controller? That would be SO unpopular.
what's your point?

Installed RAC12 today. No connection with axefx. Contacted FXUNITS support. Solution detected in 20' (on Sunday,..) : defective cable. Changed cable and ... Perfect! It works really well for me. Make the FX experience even better. Tweaking is much easier (for me at least). Very happy with this addition to my rig.

Actually, unless you want the RAC plugged into you PC all the time, ive found the best way of powering it is from USB. When I next open my rack, Im swoping the euro adaptor and provided 9v pin for a phone charging adaptor and USB cable.

But USB is only 5V instead of the recommended 9V. I wonder what the FXunits guys say about that plan?

what's your point?
I do like the tactile and appreciate the hard work put in to make this box happen. Personally there are not enough knobs for me as a home unit, although I do see a use, as others have said, in rehearsals, performing and touring. I haven't experimented with using my keyboard controller to control my Axe FX II (I'll need to buy another long MIDI cable to do so), my MIDI foot controller is on the floor (obviously) and has no knobs. An interface for letting people use keyboard controllers with their Axe FX's appeals to me, that's all I'm saying.

But seeing this makes me wonder about interfacing my keyboard controller, which has something like a dozen more knobs/sliders than what this unit has.

I do like the tactile and appreciate the hard work put in to make this box happen. Personally there are not enough knobs for me as a home unit, although I do see a use, as others have said, in rehearsals, performing and touring. I haven't experimented with using my keyboard controller to control my Axe FX II (I need to buy another long MIDI cable to do so), my MIDI foot controller is on the floor (obviously) and has no knobs.

But seeing this makes me wonder about interfacing my keyboard controller, which has something like a dozen more knobs/sliders than what this unit has.
Yes but it does not have the correct sysex...
If you need more knobs you can use multiple rac12 though ;)

I do like the tactile and appreciate the hard work put in to make this box happen. Personally there are not enough knobs for me as a home unit, although I do see a use, as others have said, in rehearsals, performing and touring. I haven't experimented with using my keyboard controller to control my Axe FX II (I'll need to buy another long MIDI cable to do so), my MIDI foot controller is on the floor (obviously) and has no knobs. An interface for letting people use keyboard controllers with their Axe FX's appeals to me, that's all I'm saying.

i see. the RAC12 does way more than a typical controller that you'd assign a few parameters to. the integration with the Axe is much deeper than that.

Seems like starting with the first Quantum and since, fewer and fewer knobs are needed.

While yeah, maybe the accuracy of quantum has require less and less tweaking of advanced amp features, the rac12 isn't just about those right. I mean, having ready access to BMT, MV, Drive, Presence, etc right on the front panel is awesome alone (I like to tweak the basic parameters to suit the guitar/pickup types I'm using), but you get 12 knobs and 12 switches for ANY parameter in the axe and 16 pages of what those knobs and switches are assigned to. I personally like to tweak effects settings (speed, depth, mix, etc, etc) to suit what i'm feeling like playing at that moment, so i'll probably have the first page or two be the amp settings i most like to change, and then have 14 pages of 12 knobs each for a bunch of effects tweaking.

I mean honestly though, if you're sitting there going, "I kind would like a bit more brightness and drive on this amp at the moment", is it easier to tap several buttons on the Axe panel, adjust the value of the drive, cursor over to bright, hit enter, decide you want less drive now, cursor back, think, "maybe i don't like the bright, cursor back, hit enter... etc. Or just reach out and twist a knob marked drive and press the treble knob in to toggle on and off bright?

The Axe front panel and axe-edit are great and will still have their uses, but sometimes you don't want to go grab your computer, hook it up, launch axe edit, etc just to have a tweaking session. Axe-Edit will be where I build presets, but rac12 will be how i tweak them w/o really necessarily needing to save them, and having 12 knobs at the ready can simply augment/speed up tweaking from the front panel.

While yeah, maybe the accuracy of quantum has require less and less tweaking of advanced amp features, the rac12 isn't just about those right. I mean, having ready access to BMT, MV, Drive, Presence, etc right on the front panel is awesome alone (I like to tweak the basic parameters to suit the guitar/pickup types I'm using), but you get 12 knobs and 12 switches for ANY parameter in the axe and 16 pages of what those knobs and switches are assigned to. I personally like to tweak effects settings (speed, depth, mix, etc, etc) to suit what i'm feeling like playing at that moment, so i'll probably have the first page or two be the amp settings i most like to change, and then have 14 pages of 12 knobs each for a bunch of effects tweaking.

I mean honestly though, if you're sitting there going, "I kind would like a bit more brightness and drive on this amp at the moment", is it easier to tap several buttons on the Axe panel, adjust the value of the drive, cursor over to bright, hit enter, decide you want less drive now, cursor back, think, "maybe i don't like the bright, cursor back, hit enter... etc. Or just reach out and twist a knob marked drive and press the treble knob in to toggle on and off bright?

The Axe front panel and axe-edit are great and will still have their uses, but sometimes you don't want to go grab your computer, hook it up, launch axe edit, etc just to have a tweaking session. Axe-Edit will be where I build presets, but rac12 will be how i tweak them w/o really necessarily needing to save them, and having 12 knobs at the ready can simply augment/speed up tweaking from the front panel.

Oh, you dont have to sell me...I have one and love it! My post was kind of addressing the "it doesnt have enough knobs" post.

Back
Top Bottom