Just finished my MFC pedalboard!

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I literally JUST finished and I'm so damned proud I had to show it off. The box was built by a friend who has never done anything like this. It took months of planning, designing, re-designing, building, wiring... and many nights of frustration, but here it is.

The box is a take-a-part hinge in the back with mini butterfly latches in front. The keyhole is just for looks... was going steampunk-y with it. The wood is 2 species of mahogany to get the color contrast and then tongue-oiled and coated in poly.

Huge THANK YOU and shoutout to Sukh at Kicktags for these awesome magnetic, glow-in-the-dark tags. Now that I have it all setup, I should've went the custom route and got a few with right words on them. Notice how switches 11 and 12 don't have a label... I didn't have one that fit those switches as they are preset switches. Nevertheless, people have been jealous of my sweet glow labels since I got them. ON TO THE PICS!

20130426172812485.jpg

20130426172833190.jpg

20130426172928227.jpg

20130426172914266.jpg

20130426172846742.jpg

Last edited:
Where does the water come out of! That is the cleanest board on the forum! Great, I mean fabulous workmanship! What kind of fittings did you use below the board to secure the tubing?

Where does the water come out of! That is the cleanest board on the forum! Great, I mean fabulous workmanship! What kind of fittings did you use below the board to secure the tubing?

One of the challenges was how to mount the tubing. We went through several ideas: round floor mounts, which looked AMAZING, but were ultimately too big. Rectangular floor mounts, which fit and looked ok, but were a huge pain in the ass to get to work/lined up. Finally, my wife yells from the other room, "Why don't you just use a cap on the end and screw through that?". EUREKA! The caps had a little dimple on them, but we were able to pound them flat, screw the caps into the board, and mount the tubing right into it! There's not a lot of pressure on the screws, so they should be fine for a long time.

The fittings aren't actually secured to eachother. I was going to solder everything, but I'm glad I didn't because threading cables through all those fittings was a HUGE pain and would've been next to impossible had they all been connected. I picked up some really small screws (#4 half inch) just in case I have any issue with things coming apart. It's pretty solid though, so I doubt I'll need them.

I had thought about putting a Vu meter in line with the expression pedal so when I worked the wah the needle would rise and fall, but Admin M@ said it wouldn't work. I then thought about making an Arduino based system that would read the Midi thru on the MFC and translate that voltage regulation... but that seemed like a WHOLE LOT more work.

Awesome. How are you liking your mission pedals? I just ordered some.

The spring loaded one is the best pedal I've ever used. The other one is cool, but I don't like the switch in it (not enough resistance for me to feel it click) and I've got the tension on the rocker way down, so it doesn't stay up. I use it as a volume pedal.

The spring loaded one is the best pedal I've ever used. The other one is cool, but I don't like the switch in it (not enough resistance for me to feel it click) and I've got the tension on the rocker way down, so it doesn't stay up. I use it as a volume pedal.
Nice job on the pedal board. Ffrom the pics it looks like you are using an SP1-LF which has a soft touch momentatry switch (unless you changed it already). You can fit a latching switch kit which has a more positive click if you prefer that. Also, if you remove the spacers/washers from the switch assembly so it sits higher in the chassis it will make it easier to press. A latching switch at full high has a really solid click. James.

Nice job on the pedal board. Ffrom the pics it looks like you are using an SP1-LF which has a soft touch momentatry switch (unless you changed it already). You can fit a latching switch kit which has a more positive click if you prefer that. Also, if you remove the spacers/washers from the switch assembly so it sits higher in the chassis it will make it easier to press. A latching switch at full high has a really solid click. James.

Awesome! Thanks james! I might switch that switch out now. Hmmm...

When I read the lock on the case was for a steam punk look, I could only see the photo of the case. I then scrolled down and saw the pipes on the board and then I saw the connection. What an original idea, well done.

I had thought about putting a Vu meter in line with the expression pedal so when I worked the wah the needle would rise and fall, but Admin M@ said it wouldn't work. I then thought about making an Arduino based system that would read the Midi thru on the MFC and translate that voltage regulation... but that seemed like a WHOLE LOT more work.

Maybe a pair (or more) pressure gauges coming off the tubing. Then some lights. Perhaps the old metal goosenecks with a small bulb on the end. Similar to a sound board's lights. Cool idea and great looking case.

Back
Top Bottom