Just downloaded cab packs 4-6... I feel like I'm in over my head.

giantslayer

Experienced
I just cracked open pack #4. It's got like 150 IRs. My Axe FX 2 only has 100 user slots. I bought 3 packs. Using the fractal bot means uploading one at a time. There has got to be a better way. Up until now, things have been pretty straight forward downloading updates and stuff, but this seems like a huge headache. Any help would be appreciated.

DEF use Axe Edit instead of Fractal Bot. There are tools you can use under the "Tools" drop down (I think - I'm not near my Fractal) that will enable you to move, add, delete or audition IRs.

And yes, 100 user slots go very quickly.

Welcome to the rat hole of IR auditioning :)

Stick with it though as its worth it.

Also keep in mind that to go through that many IR's blindly one at a time will probably be counter productive. Take educated stabs at IR's. If you know you like 57's on a 4x12 for example, check those out first. Make adjustments by possibly choosing different mic positions or adding a second mic IR.

Axe Edit has a Cab Manager under Tools>Axe Manage Cabs that allows you to audition folders of IR's w/o the need to upload them all. Really handy.

Thanks for the replies. I should have time to check out Axe Edit tomorrow. Back when I first got my unit, Axe Edit was either in some sort of a beta with lots of bugs, or just had lots of bugs, so I just stayed away from it and had subconsciously ruled it out as an option. It has been a couple years though, so it's probably working fine now. It'll be pretty sweet if it works as well as I imagine it should.

One word that saves You ... AXESEND ... Search for it in the Wiki under Al Grenadine softwares or as AxeSend ... It's free and it's awesome
You'll thank me later [emoji106]

Been using Axe Edit. It is a pretty sweet program in general. I feel like a sucker for not using it these last two years.

Took me a while to figure out how to work the system, but I eventually got it. At first, I was expecting the options in the "Browser" menu, like "open directory" or "cab bank" > "open" to do something and didn't realize I had to right click the cab slot and import one at a time. It would be nice if there was a way to open up the folder and click and drop multiple cabs without having to pull the menu back up for each one.

Fortunately, I was starting with an empty user bank, so I could upload 50 cabs at a time to audition. It seems I will either have to keep some user slots open for that purpose or only be able to upload/audition 4 cabs at a time on the scratchpad.

I use the Cab Manager in AxeEdit to send IR's to Scratchpad locations 1 and 2 and a stereo UR CAB block. I'll start with an amp I'm familiar with and usually start with the R121 in slot 1 and a 57 in slot 2 . Using the cursor UP/DOWN/Enter I audition the other mics against the R121, then go through the R121 IR's to see how they mix with the 'sizzle' IR. I use the Spacebar to highlight my favs and upload them.

I use Auto-Audition when I'm going thru IR's in mono in Scratchpad 1.

Using the keyboard cursor keys really works efficiently with the scratchpad IR slots to narrow down IRs for a given amp/tone/goal; you can keep playing and select IR's with a quick tap of the UP/DOWN key...

100 slots or more you will only like a few, so you don't need a thousand slots. Audition them and keep the ones you like. Personally I can't imagine filling my 100 ever. I just don't think there are that many special ir's. Imho

Last edited:
Proof that there is such a thing as a rabbit hole. LOL

Seriously though, it does (or can, that is) take time.

Keeping your ears fresh is probably the most difficult part. It's the same when miking a real cab... so I can only imagine it's that much more difficult when shooting IRs. It's definitely not as simple as just connecting a different cab to your amp and playing.

I just load up about 20 at a time. I find 1 or 2 i really like and keep them and load up 20 more and over the ones I didn't care for. Trying to keep my ears fresh I just addition them once or twice a week. That leaves me plenty of time to actually play my guitar.....lol

Sometime I also use the axe edit /tools/manage cabs and use the browser to audition IR's without having to load them. I personally like to load a bunch up though so I can switch presets and try them on different presets.

Back
Top Bottom