Just curious

I'm sure it would be well over $100K, but exactly how you'd value things like each speaker cabinet, speaker type, amp, effect unit etc would be difficult. For example, lets say a given amp model is valued at X dollars, but in the Axe-Fx you can do things like change parts values, change tube type etc. Well, what is the real-world hardware cost of doing some of those things ? Few hundred dollars easily per mod, so when you factor in all the changes you can make in an amp, at no cost just by twisting knobs, so how do you even value a given amp ? At face value alone or taking into account some mods ?

Kind of the same thing with effects. For one thing, you can create effects combining blocks, etc, so just because there are say, 10 chorus "models" there are really far more than 10 chorus sounds, and they can also do unique things like CC control over any parameters, which adding to hardware pedals would be pricey.

I think it essentially comes down to too much of an apples to oranges thing to compare with real world equivalents. It could probably be said that the cab block/IR's are "worth" $100K in terms of cabs, speakers, and mic's you'd need to match all the options

When you're toting it all up don't forget to include a version of every amp with a different tonestack applied ...... oh and different tubes ....... and different eq types (in both post and pre locations) ...... oh and ........ <ad infinitum>

I always looked at it this way. It costs about the same as the combined cost of one premium digital delay pedal and one premium digital reverb pedal. Considering it can do everything those pedals can do (and sounds better in some cases), plus modulations, plus boutique drives, plus oh yeah hundreds of amps and cabs. Yeah. Inferred cost = priceless.

This is one of the first things I try to explain when someone says the Axe FX (or AX8 or FX8) costs too much. Just a device to interconnect and switch between the amps, FX, and cabs the way the FAS devices do would cost more than these things cost (Bradshaw, anyone?). That you get the rest makes it a mind boggling deal. One SLO-100 costs much more than the Axe FX III will, and you could get three AX8s for the price.

Remember using the cost saving example with the ex wife

All going well until asked why the 'cost savings' were never converted from piles of amps and pedals into the garage into actual cash

Off piste but the divorce papers she drew up demanded she kept half the amps to sell (she ended up with the Line 6 DT50, Blackstar S1 and Marshall TSL and I kept the JCM 800, JVM 410 and Mesa Recto!!)

It's over 9000.

The trainwrecks dumbles and early fender/marshall/vox models are around 200K. We have a long list of amps worth 3-5k, we have many amps which are partially emulated though. There are the custom Dweezil's amps of unknown market value. It's probably worth 300K, maybe 400K at best imho. The IRs don't count.

Remember using the cost saving example with the ex wife

All going well until asked why the 'cost savings' were never converted from piles of amps and pedals into the garage into actual cash

Off piste but the divorce papers she drew up demanded she kept half the amps to sell (she ended up with the Line 6 DT50, Blackstar S1 and Marshall TSL and I kept the JCM 800, JVM 410 and Mesa Recto!!)
Reminds me of the Barbie Doll "Divorce Barbie". It came with half of Ken's stuff.

It's over 9000.

The trainwrecks dumbles and early fender/marshall/vox models are around 200K. We have a long list of amps worth 3-5k, we have many amps which are partially emulated though. There are the custom Dweezil's amps of unknown market value. It's probably worth 300K, maybe 400K at best imho. The IRs don't count.

??? you meant $9,000,000 right, which seems a little on the high side if you ask me.

If I recall the number that was done at the time was $2,500,000. I don't think there were quite 200 amps at that point and that also included all of the Effects, Mic,s, Channel strip pre's and cab used to make the I/R's, so I disagree they do count! one can't make the I/R without it and pretty sure Cliff/FAS owns all the gear that was used to model everything aside from celeb gear.

Last edited:
@Sixstring "it's over 9000" is just a popular meme, meaning, it's incredible.

And there are 260 amp channels/mods of a channel in the axe, only about 120-130 amps are here, excluding the FAS ones, and many of them are just a fraction of the amps in question.

As for the IRs, they are not complete simulations of a cab. An IR is just a tiny fraction of what a cab has to offer. And not necessarily the best fraction at that. Can't say the virtual material is worth 2 millions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom