just broke up a guitar catfight.. now what do I do?

JJunkie

Power User
The left side is a small ding I can live with. The right side one is a chip a quarter size of my pinky nail, exposing the wood. This guitar is a PRS with a poly coat

All advice appreciated

Attachments

• 20160115_131807.jpg
    20160115_131807.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 132
If you do not want to have it repaired by a guitar tech, get a little color in there, and fill with super glue, carefully sand it smooth with fine sand paper and polish.

War wound, it just shows that your using the thing. Of course this depends on whether this is a workhorse or a show horse. I have been getting a lot of nice dings in my main strat, I'm ok with it. My shredder guitar got one as well where you can see it, I said to my self. I'm not selling them and all six strings work, so...

I'm with scottburrow on this - I used to obsessively care for my guitars, but came to the realization that dings and damage come with the turf. If you like the guitar, you should keep it and grow old together - I never sold a guitar that I didn't want back at some point (like old girlfriends - you only remember the best parts). Every ding has a story, and a collection of stories builds the character of the instrument for you. I bet you never forget that cat fight. And now, I want to hear that story.

OR, PRS will refinish the instrument for a price. Of course (been there).

Got a massive ding in my original Valley Arts Lukather Custom Pro... feck feck feck... But yeah, its battle scars, remembering shit that happened.... Hell, my JEM is basically on par with Vais EVO ;)

playing guitar live is a passionate sport. You're going to bang into anyone and everything up there. be proud of it. Life's too short to be worried about keeping things nice. That's my old punk motto anyway. If I sell something down the road they can fix it, but I bet they won't.

Nail polish will only be useful as a color, its too soft for use on guitars.
Many Luther's can do repairs using burn in lacquer sticks and wet sanding/buffing. Usually you can't tell where there once was damage.

funnily enough, i was just looking at an amazing repair job clive burnage (unsungheroguitars on here i think) did on a prs this morning. photo gallery here, but i don't know if you'll be able to view it or not...

no, apparently not. look him up on facebook

I flip a lot of guitars. I just like to try new stuff, but within a few minutes of playing something new to me, I'm pretty sure whether or not I'll bond with it.

If she's not a keeper, I take the best photos I can and package her up for whoever the next guy might be.

If she is a keeper, she goes on the wall for quick & easy access, she goes to rehearsals, she gigs, and she's treated like a battlefield weapon: meticulously cared for, but ultimately considered a tool... I don't get all bent out of shape if my power drill gets a few scratches on it.

The first nick, scratch, gouge is the hardest. After that, not such a big deal. I am no longer gigging, my workhorse have plenty of scars, but my 'studio' guitars are pristine....part of it is the environment, part of it may just be I take a little more care for things these days. Just restrung a PRS HBII that I have had for 5+ years and could not find a single flaw in the finish, just some wear on the pickup covers. I suppose the first one will hurt there someday as well

I will never forget... back in the day, I used to play Gibson Explorers almost exclusively (still love em). I had this white beast with gold hardware and a Bowen Handle (anyone remember those?). We were at a gig, between sets, and there was a problem with the lighting. Light guy and a roadie are trying to fix it, and someone pulls a power cord, catches the guitar stand, and dumps that guitar headstock first onto the stage. The headstock snapped off. It was hanging by the laminated finish.... the tension on the strings pulling her neck in to an unnatural twist that said: "this one is done". I had a Luthier try to fix it... didn't work. I had to bury her next to the dogs in the back yard. Lost visitation rights when I moved....
Sigh.

Yeah I created this thread within 5 minutes of the incident and I was still in a state of shock and disappointment. The chip is actually on the underside of the neck, so I don't ever see it and rarely feel it. If the chip was on the top (where I see it) or on the back (where I would feel it), I would probably be inclined to fix it up, but after jamming away last night, I quickly lost that feeling of disappointment.

Anyway, the story isn't that interesting. My 7 guitar rack sits next to the lounge chair in my music room. I had to answer a phone call and leaned one guitar against the chair while I was on the phone. Then I got distracted during the conversation because the rug was crooked and I adjusted it, and down went that guitar, onto the PRS in the stand.

I'd like to boast about the catfight, like 'you should see the other guy', but..

FWIW, it looks like that particular ding can be repaired so it won't be felt... and maybe not even seen.

If you do not want to have it repaired by a guitar tech, get a little color in there, and fill with super glue, carefully sand it smooth with fine sand paper and polish.

I do this all the time for guys wanting a chip fixed. Works great and if done right you wouldn't notice if you didn't know the chip was there in the first place. Make sure you use the high viscosity, (watery) super glue. You may experience small pits when wet sanding before polishing. Just fill them in until there are none.

Back
Top Bottom