Just bought some Suhr Thornbuckers for my Warmoth super strat

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone try these? ALL my guitars have Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats in the Bridge position. They are pretty high output modern ceramic HB's. I'm always trying to turn up highs and down lows in the Axe Fx II.

Then I was working on a clients guitar, an Gibson SG(I do guitar tech stuff for fun on the side) and I loved the lower output pickups. More open. Less compressed. More highs. Might be the ticket. Just ordered some Suhr Thornbuckers for my Warmoth home built strat with double locking Floyd. I'll report back.

Looking forward to your report. Thinking of slapping them in my LP, for the same reasons you’ve described. I also really like coil split sounds I’ve heard.

You could try golden 50or golden 100 PU from Schaller if you like SG PU. Very underestimated PU and "Made in Germany" construction

I've put Thornbuckers in a 90's strat and an LP. They have been glorious in both. I would recommend the Thornbucker Plus in the bridge of a strat over the standard Thornbucker. Just makes it a little bigger on the fender scale. ds

Lower output is where it's at for me. I have a Warmoth Strat with Landau low outputs and it sounds fantastic!

Anyone try these? ALL my guitars have Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats in the Bridge position. They are pretty high output modern ceramic HB's. I'm always trying to turn up highs and down lows in the Axe Fx II.

Then I was working on a clients guitar, an Gibson SG(I do guitar tech stuff for fun on the side) and I loved the lower output pickups. More open. Less compressed. More highs. Might be the ticket. Just ordered some Suhr Thornbuckers for my Warmoth home built strat with double locking Floyd. I'll report back.
Just wondering, what do you like about the Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats? If you're always trying to turn up highs and turn down lows, but still have them in all your guitars, they gotta have something you still like?

Just wondering, what do you like about the Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats? If you're always trying to turn up highs and turn down lows, but still have them in all your guitars, they gotta have something you still like?
The cold sweats are just great overall hot pickups. They have a even sound across the spectrum and handle high gain and cleans well. But they are not snappy and definitely don't sound anything like a single coil, where as the Thornbuckers are suppose to have that snap and single coil-ish sound that low output pickups do. I'll be getting them this week and will report back on the sound.

I’ve got Thornbuckers (plus in the bridge) in my Tweedy SG. I love them! Harmonically rich, really dynamic, and a totally usable and clear neck position. They sound good split too. I wired them in with a Jimmy Page wiring harness, and it’s just a crazy versatile set up. I think you’ll love them- let us know once you get them in!

I’ve got Thornbuckers (plus in the bridge) in my Tweedy SG. I love them! Harmonically rich, really dynamic, and a totally usable and clear neck position. They sound good split too. I wired them in with a Jimmy Page wiring harness, and it’s just a crazy versatile set up. I think you’ll love them- let us know once you get them in!

Glad to hear they worked out nicely for you with the Page wiring. This is exactly the setup I’m considering.

Made a big difference in my CT246! I opted to install a Thornbucker + in the bridge and a freeway switch to get a few more sounds out of them works like a charm. My buddy got a pair for his strat and Wired it up like Pete has on his sig guitar and it works great, very versatile. You can't go wrong with these pups!

Ok...update: I wired them in my main Warmoth strat and they were amazing. Open, chimey and thick. More percussive than my Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats. I used a Thornbucker plus in the bridge and regular in the neck. Also installed this in my Warmoth EVH guitar. Both these guitars have Floyd Rose trems and 1 volume with no tone.

I love this sound and going to install them in a couple other guitars too.

I have thornbuckers in my #1 Les Paul. Went from the Suhr DSV in the Neck and DSH+ in the bridge. Really great PAF style pickups. As Pete Says, tons of clarity and sparkle. I was shocked how "bright" they were but it was coming from such dark and smooth pickups. My ears have acclimated over time and now they just sound great for a vintage LP sound to me. Great rolled off tone and I actually can use my tone knobs now for different sounds as I play. Highly recommended if you're looking for this tone. If you're coming from hot pickups, be warned they need good technique to play well, the guitar doesn't just "play itself" like it does with hotter pickups.

I just ordered my second pair yesterday. I tried a set (with a plus bridge) in a dark PRS Mira that I have earlier this year but they weren't the right fit. Wish I had kept them but traded them off for a set of Strat pickups. This new set (standard bridge) will go into a Les Paul replacing a set of Seth Lovers. Those are fine pickups, but I want a little more heat and presence in the bridge and I want to see if the neck pickup will get a bit more snappy.

Back
Top Bottom