• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Just bought an XL+. Can anyone recommend a small, budget foot controller?

Adam Charron

Finally pulled the trigger on an Axe-Fx 2 XL+. Came a bit pricy as the Canadian -> US exchange rate is awful at the moment, so I didn't end up purchasing the mfc101. I was wondering if anyone could recommend something a cheaper floorboard? Bonus points if I can purchase it in Canada.

MetalTones

I just recently joined the Fractal family as well so I'm a total noob to all of this, but I think the Voodoo Ground Control will work for it. Sweetwater.com has it for about half the price of the MFC-101.

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
For the budget route quite a number of people like the Behringer FCB1010, preferably with the UNO chip (I think its called) installed for more features.

ScotHessler

Inspired
I agree with the FCB1010. The Behringer is a very good low cost option, even without the aftermarket chip. You can get a lot of control, the only down side is programming it is a bit of a pain, and with the stock chip the LEDs don't always match up with your changes. Plus it comes with 2 expression pedals already integrated. I ran one for a year or so before splurging on the MFC. The MFC sure looks prettier, and is simpler to work with, but really I don't have any presets complicated enough that the Behringer couldn't keep up with

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Or perhaps some down sizing (to A8) fellow Canadians selling their MFC to a decent price point ;) Keep your eyes out on this forum and elsewhere

iaresee

Another +1 for the FCB-1010 and the Uno chip -- all around better deal than a Voodoo Labs GCP.

Or, if you're patient, wait for a used LiquidFoot Jr. to show up here or on TGP. Lots of power in a tiny package and they usually show up used for <$300.

NY Guitarist

Experienced
I thought there was someone with a package for sale that included the FCB-1010 ,with people interested in just the Axe, so perhaps it's still available?

Edit: NVM, I just looked and see that it was sold.

Last edited:

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Id try looking out for a used mk1 or MkII MFC, they are going for pretty low prices, at least half off the price of new, and it just integrates so well with the Axe-Fx. Not saying other controllers can't do the job, but you got this premium level processor that can do so many things, so its nice to have a controller that can reflect that. For example, the MFC can show the status of every effect block (bypassed or not, and loaded or not) right as you call up a patch with status lights on each foot switch. Really cool, and I don't believe the more inexpensive products can do that, they just give you buttons.

axel

Power User
Id try looking out for a used mk1 or MkII MFC, they are going for pretty low prices, at least half off the price of new, and it just integrates so well with the Axe-Fx. Not saying other controllers can't do the job, but you got this premium level processor that can do so many things, so its nice to have a controller that can reflect that. For example, the MFC can show the status of every effect block (bypassed or not, and loaded or not) right as you call up a patch with status lights on each foot switch. Really cool, and I don't believe the more inexpensive products can do that, they just give you buttons.

+1
I've had both the GC and the LF JR, Stick with the MFC.

I got a used FCB1010 (with the Uno chip) for about $100USD a year ago and I just purchased a MFC which should arrive later this week. No doubt, the MFC is going to allow me to do a lot of things I couldn't do with the FCB - but the resale market for the FCB seems to *still* be around $100. Your mileage may vary, but I've used it live for a year now and for that price, the capabilities far outweighed the limitations.

TFC

Inspired
The Behringer is inexpensive and functional, but it's anything but small. I have a LF+ Mini which is very small and can do almost anything. It does take time to figure out how to program it though. They're a little on the pricey side, especially new with the currency rates, but they do show up used. If/when I get an AX8 I may part with mine. The Ground Control Pro seems like a good unit that shows up used often and at a good price, but I don't think you can program it to use scenes.

Sleestak

Power User
The MFC-101 is an amazing piece of equipment. Mine is a MkIII, so I connect to the AxeFX XL with a standard XLR cable, which is quite convenient.
What I love about the MFC-101
  • It's tightly integrated with the AxeFX. You can just plug it in and immediately start working.
  • It's super powerful. If you use the MFC-Edit software, you can do amazing things with it. @bwanagary has worked a lovely miracle with this software.
  • Lots of buttons with two-color LEDs, decent size multicharacter display and plenty of inputs for continuous controllers.
  • KICKTAGS! @Toadfish has created some amazing beautiful and very useful glowing tags for this board, and they help organize the multi-layer power of this device.
A few minor gripes
  • Size. When I first got the MFC-101 I loved having all the buttons, options, and so on. Now that I've had some time with it, I could probably run my entire 3+ hour gigs using just a dozen buttons.
  • Limited space on the multicharacter readout. It would be nice to have more room there, and have it display things like scene names (see MFC wish list).
  • The rightmost row of control buttons (reveal, edit, up, down) cannot be moved or reassigned. I inadvertently step on the edit button sometimes because my continuous controller is right next to it.
  • Scribble strips. Like many users, I'd love to see an MFC with individual LCD screens above each button.
I've used a LOT of MIDI controllers over the past 30 years of professional playing. Even with my minor gripes, the MFC-101 is my strong preference at this price point.

lauke-lux

Fractal Fanatic
FCB1010 with Uno or Eureka chip. Case FCB1010/Uno : Find yourself a USB Midi interface for parametering the unit under Java/Windows with Ripwerx to save time and prevent headache. Any other valuable solution will cost the double, at least. The ergonomy of FCB1010 is a bit Jurassic, but still easy to use.

Top Bottom