JUST BOUGHT AN AX8!!!

CT76

Inspired
Okay, I want to share with everyone why I bought an AX8, maybe it will help someone that is reviewing their options. First let me start by saying I bought an AxeFx Standard when they were first released. I was blown away with it at the time, that unit I thought sounded better, more authentic than the Ultra, I like the darkness it had. But, I did get butt hurt with Fractal when my investment shortly became obsolete and instead of upgrading users we just had to "eat it". It sat wrong with me cause I have experienced this with Digitech, Line 6, and Boss. I am now back in the Fractal family and here is why:

Solution- I needed one unit, a floor unit most importantly, the Kemper is amazing, and AxeFx II XL, but I dont want a rack and a foot-controller to lug around. When I had my standard I still didnt understand the technology fully and i'm still a traditionalist, so I ran my Axe with a Mesa 2:100 and 4x12, with the poweramp my rig was heavier than anything I ever owned. So my buying option just on my first "need" was between the AX8, Helix, or Amplifire.I see the rack units being for studio use only anyways, I think allot of people always missed that point with say the 11r, it wasent a live tool it was a studio tool.

First Helix and why I did not consider it- Line 6 has always been a reactive company and not a proactive company. They release a product and spend all their resources on fixing bugs for themselves and not providing the user with anything more. One thing to this point is they release the Helix with no online Editor, now they are spending their resources on building an Editor, that is to me a half-cocked idea, now how long will it be before they update the unit for amps? Lets take the HD500X, look how long it took them to provide a 5150 model, they had this model since the x3 live, but didnt offer it in the HD500x until the unit was disposed, kind of a going away present. The amp models they did offer were half-thought, I tried to convince myself it could hang with the Axe, I did the "if it only had IRs", well loading it in IRs yes was better, it wasent Fractal quality. There is another point, all their users flooded boards begging for IRs, and nothing to respond, Digitech had the closet thing to the Axe but missed the mark on poweramp sim.

Atomic Amplifire- I bought one a year ago, it went back 2 days later. A good unit but there is a weird harshness and over emphasized pick attack I could not dial out. Now, I would rather spend $700.00 than $1400.00 any day, and I dont need allot from a unit, but knowing their main business is not modeling, it was speakers for modelers, I dont see them as running ahead, but setting back waiting to compete. The unit felt cheap and it is limited in features, which scare me like Line 6 and Avid, and AxeFx Standard.

So why the AX8 even though I felt I was burnt once, well Fractal has progressed so far since then, they release something with the bells and whistles thought out. They have continued to improve the product with firmware and user ended effects and amps. Their whole business is built on amp modeling devices, so they focus strictly on that core. I dont need everything the unit offers but I would rather have it and not need it then vice versa. I want to slim down my rig, not add to. I could down the road with say Amplifire spending $700 on the unit, $180 on a midi moose, and like $500 on effects and be over invested. Then I have to tap dance, the AX8 takes that away. I use 4 pedals and an amp, I just dont want to deal with multiple boxes, cords, and a daisy chain power supply anymore. One thing I learned over my gear buying experience is buying a "cheap" amp will be more expensive in the end then just buying the one you wanted to begin with even though it is more expensive.

Thank you for the time, I hope this helps, and this is not a bash on companys, products, nor to get kudos with Fractal, this was my process and why I chose what I did. If your gear inspires you that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Just showed, damnit I am here at work for another 5 hours while I stare at it

Attachments

• IMG_20160824_120016_907.jpg
    IMG_20160824_120016_907.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 40
Get this, it gets delivered to work at 11:30 am, I dont get out of work till 4:30, so sat in my office staring at it, I didnt even open the box knowing that would make it worse, so 4:20 I blow out of the office, get to my van, mind you I have an hour drive home from work, and my wife calls, my mom is coming over and I had to stop and get pizza, my mom stays to about 7:00 pm, my son starts a fever, so I cant go upstairs cause he clings to me when he is sick. Finally at 11:00 pm, I get to turn it on, update and mess around a little. I think I created an awesome patch but we wont know till I can actually get some volume going

So 20 min of tinkering I got this sounding pretty spectacular through a quilter tone block and fryette 4x12, a couple more little tweaks and see how practice goes Sunday

just because for practice use I am running a poweramp and speaker cab set up, does anyone know how I can set up an amp patch and then bypass the whole ax8 to check unity gain with an amp sim on to poweramp? Is there a button feature that bypasses with a full chain created?

what I have read someone says running the output physical knob on the ax8 all the way cranked open is line level, is this right? I am running 1 cord to 1 poweramp and use output 1 volume knob at 50%, should I run that output knob at 100%?

just because for practice use I am running a poweramp and speaker cab set up, does anyone know how I can set up an amp patch and then bypass the whole ax8 to check unity gain with an amp sim on to poweramp? Is there a button feature that bypasses with a full chain created?

No, make a scene where all blocks are bypassed.

okay, now saying this out loud I see what you mean, bypass all check for unity, engage amp block and disengage amp block to come as close as I can

what I have read someone says running the output physical knob on the ax8 all the way cranked open is line level, is this right? I am running 1 cord to 1 poweramp and use output 1 volume knob at 50%, should I run that output knob at 100%?
The AX8 comes from the factory setup to run line level, running the OP knob wide open is not necessary unless you are going to maximize fro running 4CM.

Okay, so the preset volumes are set up for unity, that helps, so as for the physical output volume knob am I right thinking 50% is correct? sorry I am at work and I havent had much time to spend with the unit so I am just trying to get info so I dont waste time in setting it up, I want to build my sound

to clarify I run a quilter toneblock which can be gained from line level to instrument level, I want to run line level, do I set my volume on the poweramp to line and use the ax8 output knob to control overall level?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom