Just bought a Fryette Power Station

Just a quick chime in with my findings. It's worth saying that at present I'm running FRFR and am very happy with the results, it's also worth stating that my tests were pre-quantum which was supposed to improve things further with amp/cab setups so I might revisit at some point.

I own a couple of Matrix Power Amps as well as the PS. When I got the PS I was totally blown away at home running the amp sims on but cab bypassed. Everything sounded better, more amp like. Anyway I took it to rehearsal and it was totally lost in the mix. I presumed that it was sucking out too much in the mids as the poweramp sim/impedance curve was essentially being added twice. Also since I use a lot of Non-MV amps turning off the poweramp simulation in the Axe is not really an option for me. I tried a few things to combat this but I wasn't able to make it work, and I would still not rule out user error to this day, but in the end I went back to Matrix and my sound was back.

I do actually wonder if I no longer like playing actual amps as I've tried playing some decent tube amps in a band scenario and again they were lsot and I ended up in a loudness war with the other guitarist. Maybe I've been fractalized, who knows. As mentioned before I've since gone FRFR and am getting some amazing tones from my setup.

Good point.

You did use the Line In input?

I'm pretty sure that the purpose of the PS is not to add power amp "coloring" per se.
The reactive load is important though.
So I wonder if we have to set the impedance parameters in our Axe-Fx/AX8 devices to neutral values.

Yeh, the PS Power Amp part should be neutral. Also the reactive load part is bypassed when using the line in or FX return inputs. The load is only active when going into the Amp In socket. Effectively when using he PS with the AFX, its just a valve power amp - but its a flat response one which should in theory be ideal for a valve amp.

I have to say, I have no problem cutting with the PS - in fact I cut more than with the Matrix. My overall volume is lower when I use the PS.

I do have the presence and depth fully off though. Initially I had them at around 12 o'clock. This sounds right in isolation - but when I a/b'd my Machete with the PS in and out of line - the most accurate setting was both fully counter clockwise. This effectively "de-scoops" the sound a little - which is maybe why Im cutting more. Thats how I run default now - I only add a little presence if a particular room needs it (heavy carpet/wall hangings).

Last edited:
Yeah some good points. I'm pretty sure I did try the two different inputs. I do think I was running depth and presence around noon so this could have been causing some added scoop. As you say it sounds "better" in isolation with these on but maybe not in a band mix.

I still have a problem with saying that it's flat as it's still a valve amp plugged into a speaker cab. As such it will have an impedance curve. The impedance curve cannot be known as it depends on the speakers and cabinet in use so even if it's designed to be more neutral it's never going to be flat.

Maybe I'll have to dig it out and give it another try :)

Any of you Fryette PS users ever use an Atomic Mono Block MB50 from back in the day? I had one. I now have the Matrix 1500 power amp but do miss some of that juiciness the MB50 imparted. How does the PS compare to the MB50?

I've been itching a little bit to get a tube amp again...just to have one. Part of it is the sound but part of it is the simplicity. Keeping the AxeFX and using a tube power amp might satisfy my jones for now even though I won't get the simple knob turning set up. I may still get a single channel amp but the problem is, where would I play it! I share a duplex wall with a neighbor so no roaring thunder to be had there. I also never seem to play anymore gigs where I can open up an amp at volume so no love there. It'd be a 3-5 time a year experience...at best...to open up a real tube amp to volumes they need to be at.

Interesting about the Presence and Depth, I assumed noon would have been flat but I'll have to experiment with those further.

What does the low pass filter bypass do exactly on V2? What was the issue with V1 regarding this?

Everybody is different, but in my experience the matrix didn't even touch the Fryette. I had so much more fullness in the mids with the Fryette, like I said, I had to turn my rig down not to overpower the other guitars.

The low pass bypass is specific to the line out from the load. Some people didn't like the loss of high end and there was apparently a lp filter on the output. I think it's orthogonal purpose was just to be able to di out to FOH without a cab sim. The new model bypasses this with a switch.

I've been using a PS into a mini recto 1x12(with Mitchell donut) with my AxeII for awhile now and it kills live! I'm always getting other musicians complimenting the tone and wondering what the PS is. IT is also fantastic for lower volume rehearsal as well. All my Axe and Ax8 presets all have a loop out put pre cab so I can optionally use the PS/cab. I have CLRs as well and find myself using the PS/cab a lot more.

Now using the Ax8 with it in place of the Axe. I have zero problem cutting the mix in three bands with that setup. Make sure you run in to the PS return instead of Line In. You'll get more headroom. I absolutely love this rig!

Last edited:
I still have a problem with saying that it's flat as it's still a valve amp plugged into a speaker cab. As such it will have an impedance curve. The impedance curve cannot be known as it depends on the speakers and cabinet in use so even if it's designed to be more neutral it's never going to be flat.

Maybe I'll have to dig it out and give it another try :)

I'm not sure about this. Everything we think we know says its true, however hifi buffs have no problem using/measuring/believing valve hifi amps that produce a flat response over a wider freq range into different speakers.

A quote I found while searching for "neutral setting" of the PS:

The most neutral setting - the setting where the Power Station contributes the least color and reactivity - is with switches set to Flat and Presence/Depth full CCW (counter clockwise). At volume settings where the Power Station volume is very close to the bypassed volume, you will need little or no help from the switches and Presence/Depth to retain your stock sound. As you decrease the Power Stations volume in Operate Mode, you will find that either the switches separately, the Presence and Depth separately or some combination of both will help you retain (dial back in) your original sound and feel.

This is of course when used as an attenuator (or actually when comparing tonality at unity gain). It backs up my thoughts/testing with the AFX. Essentially you ignore the toggle switches as there to do with the reactive load part - which is bypasses when using the line in. So at gig volumes (or at least when getting close to the 50w max rated output) keep the presence and depth fully counter clockwise (off) for neutral response. As you lower the volume - you can increase these to help defeat old FM. Its probably why at home they sound best at noon (or even higher if really low volume). So yeh - if you feel the PS is scooped or not cutting live, its probably because these controls are not fully CCW.

Another PS user with my experience....I have been running my Ultra in a wet/dry/wet set up for a number of years. the wet side going to two FRFR speakers ( a 12 and an 8 ) with the dry (output 2) going going to the return of a TwoRock head...great sound, but not very portable...enter the PS to replace the TwoRock. It feeds a Boogie thiele with a JBL 120F in it. My experience, like the original reviewer is
two thumbs up ! The PS is a winner, but here is something extra I started doing. I thought of putting a tube stage before the AxeFx input.
I had been running a Sarno Black Box (built for steel guitar players, containing a 12ax7...I used a NOS RCA) to warm up the signal going in.
Its small & portable and has an adjustment for pickup load. This set up worked since I got my PS last summer....But a month ago a post by another Forum member gave me the idea to try my UA610 preamp (12ax7 pushing a 12at7) in place of the Sarno.....well it's a difference you can hear and feel. It does not run the AF input into the red, even with the level fairly high...just great tube tone and feel..and those amp models..the sound of those babys has me running thru all my presets again..just to see how good the next one will sound! I haven't put my guitar down this week. NOTE: the cheep tube preamps don't do anything....the tubs need to run at the correct high voltage, which the better pre's do. Whisper to a scream...the tone and feel don't change.

Hi j8stringer,

Very interesting setup. I just took a look at the UA610's online and was also able to find some used ones. I don't know much about tube pre's at all...could I possibly trouble you to let me know (other than the UA610) what other ones you would consider "good" quality?

Also, what does your signal chain look like and are you using the "Line In" or "FX Return" on the PS?

Thanks so much!

Derek

Last edited:
Hi j8stringer,

Very interesting setup. I just took a look at the UA610's online and was also able to find some used ones. I don't know much about tube pre's at all...could I possibly trouble you to let me know (other than the UA610) what other ones you would consider "good" quality?

Also, what does your signal chain look like and are you using the "Line In" or "FX Return" on the PS?

Thanks so much!

Derek
Hello dschaaf....I have had my Ultra since 09, and I'm still learning new things to do with it. Unfortunately, with tube pre's you do get what you pay for...I went with the UA610, because its a classic (Sinatra recorded thru em), good sound, easy to open and change tubes, good size, not a lot of frills...all I wanted was tube tone added to the guitar to give a clean, strong signal going into the Ultra. Options under a grand are few..the ( UA710 ) 1 tube, but $200 less, the Radial Firefly, 1 tube, don't know much about it, Blue's Robbie, 1 tube, but not a common replacement type....you want just a basic preamp, not a channel strip or a two channel...If you look at Sweetwaters list http://www.sweetwater.com/c662--Tube_Preamps/pn2 ....the ones near $1,000 & over are the good ones...but most have too many features for what we want. Being able to swap the 2 tube types in the 610 is all the modding I need, the AF does the rest......For the PS...I have been running my dry ouit (#2) into the Line In input, but after reading another posters suggestion above, today I'm trying the FX in, just to see any difference....According to the PS manual..the Line In for line level source...a preamp or efx processor that you want to amplify...Fx Return..for high impedance return from efx processor....well i'll see if there is any difference and post back.... my chain: guitar, UA610, Ultra, out 1..FRFR pair, out 2, PS to 1x12 Boogie thiele with JBL120F....I use a Ferman line regulator AR-1215 to power the rack, a Yammi MPC10 midi pedalboard and a Mission exp pedal.

Hello dschaaf....I have had my Ultra since 09, and I'm still learning new things to do with it. Unfortunately, with tube pre's you do get what you pay for...I went with the UA610, because its a classic (Sinatra recorded thru em), good sound, easy to open and change tubes, good size, not a lot of frills...all I wanted was tube tone added to the guitar to give a clean, strong signal going into the Ultra. Options under a grand are few..the ( UA710 ) 1 tube, but $200 less, the Radial Firefly, 1 tube, don't know much about it, Blue's Robbie, 1 tube, but not a common replacement type....you want just a basic preamp, not a channel strip or a two channel...If you look at Sweetwaters list http://www.sweetwater.com/c662--Tube_Preamps/pn2 ....the ones near $1,000 & over are the good ones...but most have too many features for what we want. Being able to swap the 2 tube types in the 610 is all the modding I need, the AF does the rest......For the PS...I have been running my dry ouit (#2) into the Line In input, but after reading another posters suggestion above, today I'm trying the FX in, just to see any difference....According to the PS manual..the Line In for line level source...a preamp or efx processor that you want to amplify...Fx Return..for high impedance return from efx processor....well i'll see if there is any difference and post back.... my chain: guitar, UA610, Ultra, out 1..FRFR pair, out 2, PS to 1x12 Boogie thiele with JBL120F....I use a Ferman line regulator AR-1215 to power the rack, a Yammi MPC10 midi pedalboard and a Mission exp pedal.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I found a used UA610 online for $1,000 which I might pickup :)

As far as the input to the PS...I have done both but watch when going into the PS FX Return as the volume increase is massive!

Thanks again for all the info!

Derek

Awesome, thanks for the info. I found a used UA610 online for $1,000 which I might pickup :)

As far as the input to the PS...I have done both but watch when going into the PS FX Return as the volume increase is massive!

Thanks again for all the info!

Derek
Thanks for the tip. Going in the Line In, I have my front Volume knob at 3/4, to push the power tubes...a sound I like and very reactive to what the AF preset is doing....going to try the Fx In, but with the Volume down...cheers.

Back
Top Bottom