Just bought a Fryette Power Station

Hey guys from gear land!

I came across a Fryette Power Station in mint condition at a price so good I couldn't really pass it up. I've been running a Matrix gt1000fx but I was always curious about the PS because of it's low weight, fewer power tubes than other options (less expensive), reportedly flat response, and many positive reviews from the fractal and other modeler users.

I used a Mesa 290 prior to my purchasing the Matrix, and I enjoyed the Mesa experience as much as I enjoy the Matrix now. But I'm very curious to see how the Matrix and the Fryette compare. I know one guy said he needed to have the low pass filter removed from the unit to make it "right" for him, but I'm curious how other people find it too. There don't seem to be many complaints, that much is sure.

The cool thing is this could be a pretty sweet studio tool if I end up keeping it. If I have friends over who really want to use their tube heads we can still record silently using it as an attenuator.

Everybody's experience is subjective, mind you. But what kind of did the convincing for me (to give this thing a shot) was the comparison videos on this page. You'll have to scroll down because there was an error loading the video the first time.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/70398/matrix-gt1000fx-v-fryette-power-station-with-an-afx

I was able to compare an Atomic Monoblock 50 to my Matrix gt1000fx with real cabs and we couldn't hear a difference. Hope it helps.

I have a Fryette Power Station and used it with my AX8 out to 412 cabinet and found it sounded good, plenty loud but the feel was weird. I found you would have to defeat the power amp models in the AX8. Played it with a Matrix and it sounded great and the power amp modeling was used as normal. The feel was back to what is like when playing through monitors or CLR etc.....

After conversing with you about the matrix I'm now even MORE curious how these two will play side by side. Because the Matrix is sounding pretty freaking awesome with the output volume on it dimed... We shall see.

I have a Fryette PS and a Matrix GT800FX. I need to do more comparisons but so far the gt800 sounds a little bit congested and muddy in comparison. The power station seems to get the cabinet responding in a more natural way and cuts through without being noticeably brighter.

I want to like the matrix more because I don't really want to muck around with tubes, but so far I can't help but prefer the Fryette. I'm interested in others' experiences.

Ran the PS next to my GT1000 for a month after those vid comparisons. Took both to an amp fest day locally as well to test both solutions next to real amps (going through their relevant cabs - a Drz Z Maz 18, Ceriatone Dumble clone, Bad Cat, Two Rocks Sig Rev, JTM45, Fender Delux Reverb, Tone King Imperial, Soldano SLO) . Have had the Matrix for years (and a GT800 before that, and a VHT2/50/2 before that).

After all the side by side, and AFX/Amp comparisons via both power amps -- I have sold the Matrix, and now run the PS exclusively.

Ill also add, I have a Fender Machete (just because) and I rant he speaker out to the PS - matched the volume with the PS on and off - and once Presence and Depth were matched (and with the mini toggles on flat) I couldnt tell the difference. Tried running the FX out to the Matrix, and couldnt get as close. I then matches a patch to the Fender direct with both the Matrix and PS in line. The PS was spot on - the Matrix was very close - but lacked something - it was the congestion in the low mids that ninja9 talked about.

FWIW - I run Power Sims on with no difference in feel to the real amps.

Regards getting the cab to respond better with the PS - I think thats down to the op transformer on a valve amp - they do interact with the speaker more. Nailing the speaker tab in the amp block can make that difference very small though. It can take a little work though.

Last edited:
I ran the Axe II into my Cornford MK50's return --> Cornford 4x12 yesterday... No tweaking of my patches. Just turn off Cab and PA sim.
o_OHoly s@t!!! I wish i could get that power amp in a rack..

Also ran my Mesa 50/50, but not as pleasing. Thinner and brighter. Could probably tweak it, but i did not do that yesterday.
The Cornford just kicked big time :D

The BB Pre sounds pretty dead on to my real BB Preamp to...

Time to sell my CLR and go real cabs again! ;)

Yeah I went back and forth for a while between the two. The REAL difference, as others have pointed out, was when gain increased. The Fryette had simply more punch and the miss cut in a better way. The a matrix had a very specific sound, and sharp the lows were a bit cloudy and muffled. The Fryette punched and also sang in the mids in a much more pleasing way.

Finally, the matrix sounded very direct sounding on high gain stuff. I had a hard time cutting in a mix of really heavy music. It was raspy and loud, but the mids just didn't carry right.

The Fryette was instantly better, and I verified it on Sunday when I played with an extreme metal band. The punch and clarity were all there. The amp filled the room and was, in fact, so good at cutting I actually had to turn my amp down so I didn't overpower the two other half stack amps... One Engl and one 6505+.

I'm a happy boy.

I would love to get my hands on one of these and ditch the JVM I'm using in 4CM mode with my Axe.
This would just be so much simpler................and quieter LOL!
I love my JVM but the loop sucks for 4CM (I lose about 30% of my volume, it's really easy to overload the Axe.) and it's hissy.

Stero is pointless on stage anyway - great for recording, and can be used via a stereo PA cab, but for backline----pointless.

I can't really argue with ya. I agree, I enjoy it for myself but know exactly what you mean. It's more my band mates who tend to notice and love it. I just wish for having a 2u power amp it may as well be ya know? I'll end up with one anyways I'm sure. Like you say a powered wedge or cab could take the responsibility too.

Stero is pointless on stage anyway - great for recording, and can be used via a stereo PA cab, but for backline----pointless.

Stereo monitoring on stage is great! Having said that, I recently converted all my performance presets to mono, because I want to bring just a single monitor/cab, and don't want to worry about phase issues, and I don't care for stereo FOH.

It does have two speaker outs so you can still do 'stereo light' by having two cabs running at once even though, yeah, it's still mono.

Glad you like the Fryette, Speculum, I thought you would! I just gigged mine again last weekend, I've never had a better sounding, versatile rig.

It does have two speaker outs so you can still do 'stereo light' by having two cabs running at once even though, yeah, it's still mono.

Glad you like the Fryette, Speculum, I thought you would! I just gigged mine again last weekend, I've never had a better sounding, versatile rig.

I feel like this gives me the quintessential real can experience. I had a mesa 290. Sounded great but everything sounded too similar. Matrix sounded great but didn't cut and didn't have that full-bloom low end to cut in rehearsal. Probably would be fine with a mic on it.

The Fryette is colorless. All the amps sound unique. And it has power, punch, and detail. Definitely stupid how gogood it is. Anyone on the fence who ever can try one should.

Back
Top Bottom