Just Amp sounds Axe-Fx 3 vs AX8, are they any better?

Boogiem

Inspired
If you compare just the amp sounds, are the axe fx 3 any better than the amp sound in the ax8?
Have anyonedone a A/B test video that can show the difference on different amps, not just metal higain but also blues breakup sounds?

LOADS better

It sounds better, feels better and more expressive, more dynamic, more inspiring.

Not knocking the ii for 2nd place, but the iii is completely unparalleled right now.

If I play the AX8 or ii and play the iii, it's a VERY noticeable difference.

Lots of vids on YouTube, though I don't think there are much that compare the latest iii FW 11 with the AX8

There are a few videos up. I just went from an Ax8 to an Axe FX iii and the YouTube videos do not do the Axe FX III justice. It is noticeably better. Even my sound guy could tell a difference. You can make the Ax8 sound absolutely great! It is just easier to get the iii to sound great!

When the AX8 received some of the Ares platform in firmware 10, and the Axe III was on earlier firmware versions, it was closer. From the Axe III's Firmware 8.0 on, the tonal difference gap has increased quite a bit. I have a few recordings done with the AX8 and the tone of the Axe III on firmware 11.01 is noticeably more responsive and "refined".

My decision to purchase to Axe III was due to the ability to use dual amps (my preference for stereo), new reverb algorithms and much higher CPU ceiling. It was said that firmware updates would continue to improve the tone but I was happy with the tone of the III from day one. The recent "improvements" have been more icing on an already great tasting cake. Maybe a more apt analogy would be adding homemade ice cream and Gramma's chocolate sauce to the piece of cake.

Reactions: jon
They both sound fantastic (I gig regularly with either one depending on the setting) but I find the III quicker and easier to dial in. The big improvement on the III is the feel IMO.
@2112 you almost brought me to tears today with the rg550 YouTube video. I had that exact guitar, color and all, and had to sell it for a dump truck payment, of all things. It was nice to see in action however and brought me right back to 1990. I really enjoy your YouTube channel!

They both sound fantastic (I gig regularly with either one depending on the setting) but I find the III quicker and easier to dial in. The big improvement on the III is the feel IMO.
Leon, if it just for the amp sounds (clean/breakup Fenders to Marshall ++) are upgrade from AX8 to AX3 worth the money?

IMHO it's more about the overall feel under the fingers where the AFX III outclasses the AX8. Of course it sounds better, more 'alive', 'beefier' and 'open' but both units are in the same ballpark tonewise, it's not like those comparison videos where you put a Helix vs the AFX using the same settings and both units sounds really different from each other.

Even though I'm actually selling my AX8 (If it sells, good... money will be spent on the FM3, if not, I absolutely don't mind keeping it as a backup) still hoping for Cliff to put out the Ares port for the AX8 to narrow the gap between the two, but right now, I'd say it's absolutely worth the money to upgrade, specially given the price drop on the Axe.

^ Agree with what AJ wrote.

I have both. Still gig with the AX8 because it is still beast. No complaints. If I had to give up one it would probably be the AXE FX III. Crazy right...

The AX8 is my main gig device. In the studio i use only the Axe III.

They both sound fantatsic but the Axe III feels "quicker" and more direct. Soundwise i notice a bit more punch and "compactness" if i´m not imagining things
Still, the difference between AX8 and AXEIII is much smaller than between lets say Helix to AX8

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom