Just a quick question about purchasing

Nezzy7

Hi there I’m fairly new to the fractal eco system and how to go about purchasing one. To keep things short I’m wanting to purchase an Axe Fx 3 Mk 2 for the sale price but I am unable to get a shipping quote even though my country is listed on the shipping options, I’m in the uk and the only other place I can find the mk2 brand new is around £2500 converted from euros and I find that an extra thousand pounds just to get one is quite frankly unfair, I’d happily pay 1600 for the unit and 100 or so for shipping. Is there anyway or place I can get it for the same price as the fractal website?
Thanks in advance

That’s my point basically how is it that a second hand mk1 costs more than a mk2 brand new both in the US? I have no problem with second hand as long as it’s a fair price. It’s my understanding that it would be cheaper to get a flight over to America buy one, have a week holiday and come back haha.

It's a myriad of additional costs such as shipping, handling, taxes, VAT, duty etc.
Tax f.e. is 20% already.

Prices in Europe are not the same as in America - that's it. We pay for the service we get in Europe and for the European price level of the product. There are also huge price differences for many other products even within Europe. So the answer to your question for the time being is "no".

That’s my point basically how is it that a second hand mk1 costs more than a mk2 brand new both in the US? I have no problem with second hand as long as it’s a fair price. It’s my understanding that it would be cheaper to get a flight over to America buy one, have a week holiday and come back haha.
It might be.. but Brit Customs will make you pay the import duty when you bring it in.. MORE if they catch you NOT declaring it.. so you're pretty much stuck with paying "used" pricing. Yes, it sux!

This comes up a lot. Maybe a sticky or wiki entry etc with some info about the differences in US and rest-of-the-world prices would be helpful.

TL;DR: nobody except for G66 and Fractal knows the exact numbers but a lot of the difference is due to VAT, extended EU warranty, customs, and handling costs.

Here's a rough breakdown of why the EU price is different:
- US prices are usually given without VAT. Thus the Axe FX III price of $2099 equates to $2498 with 19% VAT (G66 is based in Germany so for EEA cutomers german VAT is applicable).
- EU law reqiures a 2 year warranty for consumer products. Fractal by default offers only 1 year warranty with a paid 2 year extension for $199 pre-VAT or $237 incl. 19% VAT. In the EU you're always getting this warranty extension.
- Import duties. I've read here before that duties for the Axe are 3.5% but I don't know if that's accurate.
- Shipping costs (from Fractal to G66, as well as from G66 to the customer).
- Add any costs G66 have for logistics, customer support, the box of chocolates you get with your order, etc; as well as the actual profit G66 makes from the Axe.
- Additionally, some price differences might be because discounts may take a while before they arrive in the EU (my assumption is that G66 need to get rid of their stock bought at pre-discount prices first). Time-Limited sales in the US store might also not be matched in the G66 store.

Ignoring shipping costs, discounts, and the fact that G66 have bills to pay and also want to earn something, that means the base price of an Axe FX III in the EU is at least $2735 plus duties. Google tells me that's €2230, which leaves 300€ for all remaining duties and costs and G66 profits. This does not seem egregious to me. Of course, it might not be the end of the story for the UK because of any potential post-brexit shenanigans as well as exchange rate differences, no idea how much of an effect this has on the final UK price.

The above calculation also assumes that G66 buy the units from Fractal at close to the regular price. While they might get a cheaper price I doubt that this amounts to a significant difference per unit, as otherwise Fractal would take a hit to their margins on every EU purchrase.

Fractal won't let you buy a new product without an adress in the USA ... and they are not shipping items to a hotel adress. You would need a friend or family member in the US who buys the stuff for you. After adding the import tax the price of the US MK 2 is still cheaper than buying it in Europe. BUT: I am certain, that G66 would refuse any warranty claims if your units breaks.

I bought from G66 several times. Yes there is a price difference. On the other hand: they have excellent service and I have never had to pay for a repair. Pricedrops never occurred at G66 You can buy a bundle with discount from Fractal, but never from G66. The price of an axe went down at Fractal, but not at G66.

The price of an axe went down at Fractal, but not at G66.
That's incorrect. The initial EU price for the Axe FX III from G66 was 2899€, right now it is 2533€. IIRC it there was also a price drop in between where it cost 2799€ or 2699€.

That's incorrect. The initial EU price for the Axe FX III from G66 was 2899€, right now it is 2533€. IIRC it there was also a price drop in between where it cost 2799€ or 2699€.

Oh, tx. Missed that.

Actually it’s just got a bit worse for us brits due to the brexit issue. We now need to pay UK vat rates at 20% rather than German vat rates 19% (plus courier import tax handling fees about £12).

Actually it’s just got a bit worse for us brits due to the brexit issue. We now need to pay UK vat rates at 20% rather than German vat rates 19% (plus courier import tax handling fees about £12).

But isn’t the idea that your government is more representative now, and that you can get accountability/responsibility on fiscal policy?

Back
Top Bottom