Just a curious question!

Sixstring

Legend!
First off this is not a gripe, So after reading up on the features of the FM9 I realized after noticing that it only had 3 pedal ports that each of the pedal ports could run either an expression pedal or a single button switch.

The FM3 had the ability to run 2 switches in each port and was wondering why it wasn't carried over to the FM9? The fact that the FM9 uses a TRS style jack for expression pedals to be utilized seems like a 2 button switch would have made sense.

Was this due to a limitation of some sort or just because?

It's because the FM3 has ports for switches 1 & 2, and 3 & 4, plus 2 expression pedals. The FM9 has ports for Pedals 1, 2, & 3. The FM3's 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 ports were designed to accept TRS plugs, for dual switching. The FM9 ports accept TRS or TS, but not dual footswitches (read: 2-button switches for each port).

It may actually be a design issue implemented to save cost in lieu of convenience, but I, like you, would like to see added features similar to what the FM3 has. Perhaps if we wait long enough, it will be implemented in the MkII version, the same way the FM3 received a headphones jack in its 2nd generation version...

It's because the FM3 has ports for switches 1 & 2, and 3 & 4, plus 2 expression pedals. The FM9 has ports for Pedals 1, 2, & 3. The FM3's 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 ports were designed to accept TRS plugs, for dual switching. The FM9 ports accept TRS or TS, but not dual footswitches (read: 2-button switches for each port).

It may actually be a design issue implemented to save cost in lieu of convenience, but I, like you, would like to see added features similar to what the FM3 has. Perhaps if we wait long enough, it will be implemented in the MkII version, the same way the FM3 received a headphones jack in its 2nd generation version...
The FM3 is still on its first generation. I believe there was a production issue that prevented the first run/batch from having the headphone jack. They were sold at a discount due to the issue.

It isn't clear at this point why the FM9 can't accept dual switches on the ports that accept expression pedals. Could be as simple as it is turned off in firmware.

The FM3 is still on its first generation. I believe there was a production issue that prevented the first run/batch from having the headphone jack. They were sold at a discount due to the issue.

It isn't clear at this point why the FM9 can't accept dual switches on the ports that accept expression pedals. Could be as simple as it is turned off in firmware.
IIRC, the PDL 1, 2 & 3 ports accept either TRS or TS plugs, but can't accept 2-button switches for each or any of these ports. Each port is designed to accept only one switch, which could be used as a Stand-In switch and programmed for either a toggle or hold function. It would be necessary to use a normally closed momentary switch if one were building/buying an external switch.

You may be correct that the firmware doesn't accept 2-button switching at this time. We may see later firmware updates that might provide various switching options in the future.

For now, though, I'll personally be building 2 external switches which will take up 2 ports. Am sacrificing one EV-1 for this, which is OK. I usually don't use an expression pedal for much anything else than wah or volume.

I’m hopeful that it is a firmware fix! I would like to make use of the 2 button switch I already have! If not I suppose I will have to grab a single button box to swap it out for.

The jacks are already TRS to support expression pedals, so I can't think of any physical difference. The requirements for wiring are the same in both cases.

I'm hopeful a future firmware update will allow this. It's honestly the only example of something I consider a step backwards on the FM9

The jacks are already TRS to support expression pedals, so I can't think of any physical difference. The requirements for wiring are the same in both cases.

I'm hopeful a future firmware update will allow this. It's honestly the only example of something I consider a step backwards on the FM9
Not as a dig, but Fractal may have considered folks who like tinkering and adding things like external switches. Providing too many options might cut into their FC sales, so there is the business side of things to consider...

Why add extra options for external switching when you've already got FAS-Link? (Trying not to play Devil's advocate here, but it may purely be a business choice, unless FAS were to reconsider appealing to its audience and updating its firmware so as to allow TRS 2-button switching...)

Besides, there are options for midi control, so I don't know why Fractal withheld the TRS 2-button option. It does cut down on expression pedal or external switch possibilities...

FTR, I'd personally be all for TRS 2-button, though would need to rethink my Temple board project before receiving the updated FM9 firmware...will currently move ahead with what is possible (2x TS), and consider reworking the board again AFTER the wishlist firmware update...

Not as a dig, but Fractal may have considered folks who like tinkering and adding things like external switches. Providing too many options might cut into their FC sales, so there is the business side of things to consider...

Why add extra options for external switching when you've already got FAS-Link? (Trying not to play Devil's advocate here, but it may purely be a business choice, unless FAS were to reconsider appealing to its audience and updating its firmware so as to allow TRS 2-button switching...)

Besides, there are options for midi control, so I don't know why Fractal withheld the TRS 2-button option. It does cut down on expression pedal or external switch possibilities...

FTR, I'd personally be all for TRS 2-button, though would need to rethink my Temple board project before receiving the updated FM9 firmware...will currently move ahead with what is possible (2x TS), and consider reworking the board again AFTER the wishlist firmware update...
But then why have them on the FM3?

I personally have not experienced a case where Fractal has done anything to offer less than was possible to their customers to try and make an extra buck.

But anyway, we're all armchair engineers here :)

I don't understand this design decision either. I'd love to be able to have a 2-button switch and then 2 EXP pedals (one dedicated for volume, other could be wah, whammy, etc).
This!

Until I actually read up on it and saw others posting about this issue I was under the assumption that it was going to be a no brainer! 2 expression pedals and two button external switching and my reason for posting up the question. Not to complain but to understand the mind set as to why it was done.

I can understand the business side of the deal and that's fine I get it. Coming from the FM3 and FC-6 combo this was great and was a perfect number of switches once I realized my dilemma I was somewhat disappointed in this design decision.

Perhaps a new product idea for Fractal: a FASLink II driven switch and expression pedal expansion unit. Sort of like a tiny FC unit that only has pedal and switch inputs. That would allow folks to expand the number of pedals and switches they could use.
I like this idea and can't imagine it not being a possibility! A module of some sort that is light and fairly compact that gives you the option of say 4-6 extra ports that can be configured how you see fit.

But then why have them on the FM3?

I personally have not experienced a case where Fractal has done anything to offer less than was possible to their customers to try and make an extra buck.

But anyway, we're all armchair engineers here :)
I don't know either. Was trying not to see things from a negative view, but was wondering why the design flaw myself.
I don't understand this design decision either. I'd love to be able to have a 2-button switch and then 2 EXP pedals (one dedicated for volume, other could be wah, whammy, etc).
As I've decided, it will be necessary for me to sacrifice one of my EV-1s and use 2 of the ports for individual switches, and keep one EV-1. Until FAS makes available a TRS 2-button firmware update, this (plus midi control, which is beyond my scope of knowledge) is the only option possible.

(Will post the EV-1 in the For Sale section Monday with a link to eBay...)

Back
Top Bottom