June 15, 2022. The day the Kemper Profiler patent expires.

I think modelling is a superior approach but when that model isn't available, profiling is the next best thing if you won't gig your vintage equipment.
IMHO, that's exactly why the QC has profiling. It helps them fill in the gaps in their amp model line up until they have time to create more models. However, when your modeler has nearly 300 amp models, there aren't many gaps to be filled :).

I love the FM. I love the Kemper. I don't need to talk bad about one to enjoy the other.
Yeah. I agree. I'm sure many of the Kemper haters have never played one. I had the Toaster for a year between my Axe2 and FM3 (due to FM3 delays and pre-selling my Axe2). I loved the Kemper, particularly Top Jimi profiles. It sounded very amp like, felt very amp like, and was probably the happiest I've been with my tone. I miss it and may buy one again to try with the Kabinet. On the other hand I'm also tempted to swap out my FM3 for an Axe 3 so I can feed two guitars through it simultaneously to play with my son.

Profiling is essentially making a filter from a recording of a sound. It's the modeling equivalent of what-if a kazoo and autotune got drunk and had a kid.

Even when it’s not exactly true, this is very funny. 😂

As a multiple fractal , dual kemper and QC user there must be something incredibly wrong with me ....I enjoy all three and the other pro players that use the later must have issues too I guess. Not sure where all the bitterness comes from here tbh...

Not to mention I should probably throw out all 600 cds I have from my youth because they used amps right?!?

As a multiple fractal , dual kemper and QC user there must be something incredibly wrong with me ....I enjoy all three and the other pro players that use the later must have issues too I guess. Not sure where all the bitterness comes from here tbh...
It's not bitterness. You're incorrectly assigning that emotion to Fractal-centric people on the Fractal forum. We Fractalites prefer the sound of FAS stuff to what we accept as inferior modeling approaches. That's all.

Not to mention I should probably throw out all 600 cds I have from my youth because they used amps right?!?
You can do whatever you want with your CD collection. Play them, rip them, hang them from your rear-view mirror (don't do this it's illegal in most places). No one here is telling you to do that. No one is saying anything that would logically cause you to respond with this.

The Kemper system is pretty minimalist. It assumes certain tone stack values which may have nothing to do with reality. I'm not even attempting to look at it from any kind of a technical interpretation, but it seems to me that the Kemper starts with a pretty generic amplifier representation.

If you have a sound on an amp
You like and you don’t want to take it out, hit the profile button and you have it.... I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people actually enjoy simplicity

It's not bitterness. You're incorrectly assigning that emotion to Fractal-centric people on the Fractal forum. We Fractalites prefer the sound of FAS stuff to what we accept as inferior modeling approaches. That's all.

If it’s inferior tell what’s going to get closer to an amp I own.... making a profile of it or pulling up the model (assuming it has been modelled on the axefx) tweaking the settings, pulling the same IR etc etc.

Also no which would be faster?

If it’s inferior tell what’s going to get closer to an amp I own.... making a profile of it or pulling up the model (assuming it has been modelled on the axefx) tweaking the settings, pulling the same IR etc etc.

Also no which would be faster?
Yeah no I'm not getting into a back-and-forth with you.

I am a devout fractilite and fractilian and maybe fractophile, and won't change for the distant future, I see no need. However, MANY MANY MANY of my fav. bands are using Kemper, they are pros and can use whatever the F they want so, you can argue but many pros use kemper. Therefore many pros dont think it sounds like a kazoo etc. These are facts.

How is 'profiling' different than 'tone match?' Seriously. (I haven't used either.)

Profiling is essentially making a filter from a recording of a sound. It's the modeling equivalent of what-if a kazoo and autotune got drunk and had a kid.

Fractal tone match makes an impulse response (IR) of the sound heard. It's basically an EQ that rounds out the sound you already have. You still need to have a preset with the right amp model and cab IR with the right settings and effects of the sounds you're trying to get close to. It's a tone helper, not the entirety of the tone, as Kemper profiling is.

Yeah no I'm not getting into a back-and-forth with you.

That's ok, I've seen everything I need too on those two former posts...I guess while the humor didn't get lost on some the irony sure did.

These are facts.
Well no, these are opinions presented as facts.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc - just because they use it doesn't mean it's good. Based on some of the music that out there I've got serious doubts about the audio perception abilities of some of these "pro's". A few points to throw out there for the sake of fun argument:
A lot of these "pro's" are behind brands for financial reasons.
A lot of people out there talk a lot of BS about how good their ear is.
Some people will rail about certain brands like Chevy vs. Ford, Apple vs. Android (Fruit v Robot), Fractal vs. Kemper, and so on and so forth.

What sounds "good" is entirely subjective. There's a lo-fi trend going on in the world today that's causing a lot of collateral damage to the zeitgeist that says what sounds good or what is acceptable insofar as that magical unicorn we call "tone" is concerned. In that reference frame, the Kemper probably sounds pretty good.

I personally have never heard a blind A/B comparison (and I think we all heard them all when the Kemper first appeared) where I thought the Kemper sounded more realistic than the Fractal (Axe-FX II at the time). To my ear it was on par with Line6 but sounded dead compared to FAS. The underlying tone might be there but I couldn't get past the muted, colorless sound of the thing and once that was established, there's really no redeeming it. That's what it will always be to me.

Well no, these are opinions presented as facts.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc - just because they use it doesn't mean it's good. Based on some of the music that out there I've got serious doubts about the audio perception abilities of some of these "pro's". A few points to throw out there for the sake of fun argument:
A lot of these "pro's" are behind brands for financial reasons.
A lot of people out there talk a lot of BS about how good their ear is.
Some people will rail about certain brands like Chevy vs. Ford, Apple vs. Android (Fruit v Robot), Fractal vs. Kemper, and so on and so forth.

What sounds "good" is entirely subjective. There's a lo-fi trend going on in the world today that's causing a lot of collateral damage to the zeitgeist that says what sounds good or what is acceptable insofar as that magical unicorn we call "tone" is concerned. In that reference frame, the Kemper probably sounds pretty good.

I personally have never heard a blind A/B comparison (and I think we all heard them all when the Kemper first appeared) where I thought the Kemper sounded more realistic than the Fractal (Axe-FX II at the time). To my ear it was on par with Line6 but sounded dead compared to FAS. The underlying tone might be there but I couldn't get past the muted, colorless sound of the thing and once that was established, there's really no redeeming it. That's what it will always be to me.
I didnt say it sounded good, I said many pros are using them, that is a fact. It's a weak argument to say they are paid to use them, maybe a few. The fact is they use them and can use whatever they want. I in fact know a pro who is a brilliant guitarist that loves his. Again, many many people like the sound of Kemper, I admit freely IM not one of them.

I didnt say it sounded good, I said many pros are using them, that is a fact. It's a weak argument to say they are paid to use them, maybe a few. The fact is they use them and can use whatever they want. I in fact know a pro who is a brilliant guitarist that loves his. Again, many many people like the sound of Kemper, I admit freely IM not one of them.
It’s not a weak argument. Being supplied gear is a form of payment. Sending Joe the Guitar Player from YZ Band a Kemper is the same as sending him $1800. That’s an endorsement. Its the same mechanism of in-lieu-of-cash payment as race teams and football players. When a guitar player is sent a pedal to review on YouTube and gets to keep the pedal, that’s payment. A business relationship has been formed.

It’s not a weak argument. Being supplied gear is a form of payment. Sending Joe the Guitar Player from YZ Band a Kemper is the same as sending him $1800. That’s an endorsement. Its the same mechanism of in-lieu-of-cash payment as race teams and football players. When a guitar player is sent a pedal to review on YouTube and gets to keep the pedal, that’s payment. A business relationship has been formed.
its weak because you have no proof even a slight minority of these players, pro players, who can play what they want, who are guitarists who care about their sound, and who depend a lot more on their sound than $1800 bucks to survive and make a living. Prove to me someone would rather sound like crap and go out and promote something that would destroy their career.

Back
Top Bottom