Jump or not to jump... That is the question

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Hello Guys,

Im a very happy ultra user for well over a year. Its a beast, it takes time to go through all the features, but it pays off. Now I have reached the point that even my good "Im-a-vintage-Mesa-user-buddy" tried it out at our local bar one night and just gave me a very short review - "DAMN!!"

Anyhooo... so now I wonder, shall I jump or not jump for the AXE II? Im reading what you guys say here on the forum, hear the new patches and recordings, and Im going "DAMN!!" too.
But on the other hand when Im all excited getting prepared to sell off my ULTRA I am reading posts here like "no connection" "My axe II freezes" etc etc.. so then Im back to my happy la-la-la Ultra-land.

So just a question mostly to you old timers out there. How was the first year with the ULTRA (or standard) after product launch?
Was it the same as now? Some bugs and issues. Frequent firmware updates to take care of stuff? Getting more stable over time?

I guess its normal with such an advanced tech product as AXE is that it has some hic-ups during its first 6-9months or so.

any input or reflections on this? (I basically just need a comforting kick in the a** to make the jump finally)

/Urban

I just jumped. I've had my Ultra for 2 years. It worked like a dream from day 1. The only problems were USER ERROR! The axe 2 has been, if anything, even easier. I have not had a single glitch.

I think the issues you see raised in the forum are from a small minority of users--the usual vocal minority. The rest of us are too busy enjoying our Axes! Sure, there are tweaks and stuff that isn't perfect. But, IMHO, the Axe is one of the more error free pieces of technology I've used.

If you sell your Ultra to fund the II, do you expect to get on the waiting list or will you have enough to buy immediately? I only ask because if you're enjoying the Ultra and don't like waiting signing up on the waiting list provides NO guarantee when you will get called to purchase the II... something to consider.
The II has more moving parts (hardware) and is a more complex product.
More importantly FAS has entered the USB audio recording game and the some of the units functionality now relies on stuff out of FAS's control -- your computer.
There were some initial bugs that seems to have been worked out (headphone jack miswired on very early units, DSP processor startup anamoly) but to my knowledge all of these have been rectified. Firmware updates are in full swing and have made the pass from "fixing bugs" in the OS to "adding killer new tones and functionality".
I'm back in to the II with firmware 3.02 and I think it's a good time to jump in... I listen to comparison clips of what I'm doing with ONE slightly tweaked patch vs. all my other AxeFX Standard patches over the years and the II just sounds (and feels) better. This is just ONE AMP to concentrate on right now (Princetone).

Reactions: jon
Gasp has some good points there.

I only use the usb to update firmwares, and have had zero issues at all updating. I have had zero issues with freezing or any other plights people have mentioned. Maybe i'm lucky, maybe my ear can't hear things as well as others, I don't know.

If you are 100% happy with your tones out of the Ultra......that's tough decision to make to change to the II. If you feel it is lacking at all, and/or have the means to get the II, then don't be afraid of the issues a small number of people have experienced, and jump on board man!

Im still loving the ulta,It's the IR,s i spend messing around with,drives me crazy!!

At first I wasn't sure I made the right move-Selling my Ultra to get the II, but that lasted about a week :).
What I did was wait until I got my coupon before I advertised my Ultra.
Worked out perfect/
I think that's good way to go.

Might as well....
rothdav.jpg

you guys don't make it easy!! How can you be completely happy and then the II takes it to the next level..... seems that saying 'life is short' is ringing in my head more and more.....time to do it

If you're "completely happy", the only reason to switch is to enjoy the flow of updates/upgrades. I considered myself "completely happy" with my Ultra but wanted to be along for the ride as Cliff continued to advance the product. Clearly a lot of people find that tedious so YMMV.

Jump - I have never regretted it for a second. It is not an incremental improvement, it is the next level. Plus all the advancements in firmware moving forward. You're stuck with the Ultra (unless of course you like being stuck, nothing wrong with that if you like what you got)

Still a lot I like about the ultra. But then again I am looking for unique sounds that ARE 'polished'. The II has a VERY different feel - I feel like I never even owned an axe before - it is THAT different! The FEEL is there of a real amp (firmware 5 and above) which is most important. There are a lot of things that the II captures about an amp that are unreal...but not always to my liking as again, I'm after a more 'polished' sound, and the II gives you that raw, yet realistic sound. Pretty sure you can get the ultra sounds with the II, but I am still learning this new machine...

As for USB, yes, there will ALWAYS be horror stories about ANY usb type device, as there are things that are out of FAS's control in your computer. But for the axe itself? Flawless as always.

If you're in a position to keep the ultra, keep it and compare to the II, and see what the fuss is about yourself. I still have the ultra, and won't be selling it, as I like the sounds there. I will also be keeping the II as it is a totally different machine, and I like the sounds there. If you're not in a position to keep both, well the waitlist is practically done now, so you might have yours in less than a month in my guess....

Back
Top Bottom