Judas Priest tone

Carpercen

Inspired
Hi!

Looking for some advice regarding Judas priest tone on this songs:
Painkiller
The sentinel
Screaming for vengeance

I've been tone chasing with Brit 800, cranked input drive and master volume, EQ at noon, maxon od 808 in front, sounds good but I'm missing something, when I hear those tracks they sound really good, thick, robust, and my sound lacks all of that...

Could someone help me find what I'm missing?

Thanks!

It wasn't KK or Glenn, but I saw Priest on this tour and they used alot of pretty heavy chorus on all of their tones. Maybe a little chorus would help.

Cool rig rundown from Richie Faulkner on youtube

Make sure your IR is a Celestion G12T-75 4x12 cab Also try a Pitch Block - Select Detune with the -9 and +9 pitch parameters to give a "doubled" sound. It will create a thicker tone without the modulation of a chorus.

Attachments

• ZWylde-Pitch.blk
    627 bytes · Views: 25
Last edited:
They use Engl's now but try a Plexi for the older stuff, you can get pretty close.

Make sure your IR is a Celestion G12T-75 4x12 cab Also try a Pitch Block with the -9 parameter to give a "doubled" sound with the modulation of a chorus
Never used the pitch block :s what is that -9 parameter? And how do I set the chorus modulation? Total new user here...

Thanks

If it's not thick... Maybe you have to much bass frequencies.

Try cutting in the preamp, in the cab... Wherever.

See if you can track down a stem track. Its amazing how different a complete mixed track sounds compared to a single track.

I read some time ago that they used plexi's and Treble boosters for their older tones

Hi!

Looking for some advice regarding Judas priest tone on this songs:
Painkiller
The sentinel
Screaming for vengeance

I've been tone chasing with Brit 800, cranked input drive and master volume, EQ at noon, maxon od 808 in front, sounds good but I'm missing something, when I hear those tracks they sound really good, thick, robust, and my sound lacks all of that...

Could someone help me find what I'm missing?

Thanks!
Hi Carpercen,

The "Das Metall" preset seems to work well for me (circa "Screaming for Vengeance" era). In fact; it sounded like instant "Priest" to me. I tweaked the preset a little and added some chorus (Dimension 1), but that "Das Metall" amp block alone (preset) just feels right.

Here's a sample from a performance last year...

Bear in mind, I'm also running FRFR (AccuGroove, powered via Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170) and the cab block with "Own Hammer" Marshall 4*12 (OH_412_MAR-CB_M-BB-55_Studio_Vintage) with a Les Paul Standard.

The original preset uses a "4*12 Recto SM57" cab, which actually sounds pretty damn good too (it's really just a matter of what feels right for you) .

I hope that helps.

Cheets!

I Got a almost identical sound to the painkiller album using the Recto2 org mdrn Amp - 1960b v30 + 1960b G12m Cab - Ts808 mod infront!

Maybe a JCM800 with a boost.. Delay and reverb to effect it up..
Yes, I'm using Brit 800 with ts808 in front, but when listen the first chord from the sentinel, it sounds huge compared to my sound, I feel close but still the sound of the guitar from the track sounds huge!

The Sentinel has that huge sound because it was recorded in a warehouse to get that huge reverb and room sound. They talked about it in an old guitar magazine.

Back
Top Bottom