JS410 Lead Red

gigawatt

Experienced
Is this a dark lead channel? I was trying to find a cab that fit well with it but everything sounds warm and dark with no hair on top, and I had all the high controls turned up to around 2 o'clock. I've gone thru about 100 cabs and while some of them have fiz/fuzz none of them seem to have that upper midrangey Marshall crunch. This is on Preset #89 btw, am I just using the wrong amp model? What would be good for some old school Judas Priest ala British Steel or Vengance? along with what cab?

I'm pretty sure Judas Priest didn't use Joe Satriani's signature amp.

The JVM410? Well, doesn't he use pedals for his tone anyway? ;)

If you want classic Priest
PLEX or JCM 800 with and OD in front for the later stuff Engl no boost

I tried the 800 but that was like the exact opposite, too much top end. What was the model that was popular right before the JCM 800? and I don't mean the Plexi. Would the G12-65 412 be the correct cab? Thanks btw :)

Last edited:
The JVM410? Well, doesn't he use pedals for his tone anyway? ;)
Satriani makes good use of Wah and Chorus pedals, but most of his tone is dialed in with that amp. He spent a lot of time with Marshall tweaking each of the 9 possible channel variants (The 2 lead channels have the same 3 modes). He did the same thing with Peavey back when that was his signature amp.

Thanks for the info @Shaw. I thought I read somewhere that Satch used various overdrive and distortion pedals exclusively and that his sig Peavey amps were basically power amps.

Thanks for the info @Shaw. I thought I read somewhere that Satch used various overdrive and distortion pedals exclusively and that his sig Peavey amps were basically power amps.
You might be thinking of what Vai is now doing with his rig...

The JS410 is the model of Joe's Marshall signature amp, not Peavey.

The amp was tweaked for him and his bright guitars.

Low gain Marshall for those studio tones. Add a Boss overdrive for solos and you’re there. For cabs, I would think they would have used 4x12 cabs with 70 watt Celestions. Later on I’m pretty sure those guys used Marshall JMP1 preamps with the 5881 Marshall poweramps.

I played some old Priest recently using the 1987x and TS for leads. Sounded great. My frame of reference for Priest tone is Unleashed in the East.

Exactly.
I had a Carvin Legacy 3 a while back. I recall Channels 2 and 3 sounded great with a JEM, but sounded dark and almost muddy with other guitars.

I was talking about this amp he was using with distortion pedals, I guess everthing you read on the web isn't always true? o_O Who knows what Vai is doing with his G-System, Boss Distortion, blah blah blah and whether he's really using the L3 or the L1.
satriani-peavey-jsx-tile.jpg

I had a Carvin Legacy 3 a while back. I recall Channels 2 and 3 sounded great with a JEM, but sounded dark and almost muddy with other guitars.
I was on the Carvin board for a while and heard all kinds of things about Vai and the Legacy, but I never heard his guitars with Evo's (I'm guessing the one's you mean) were overly bright, I have seen the frequency curve of the Evo however and on paper it looks like the emphasis is on the treble, But talking to guys that own them say "it's a great all around pickup." In fact his latest signature guitar the Jem 77P BFP with its Gravity Storm pickups is very warm and dark, I speak from experience with it, I love it. Indonesia did a fantastic job with the "blem" that I got and I can't find a blem anywhere :D.

Edit: When you @unix-guy said "his bright guitars" I thought you were talking about Vai, sorry my mistake.

Last edited:
You can get 80s priest on the js410 - use the crunch (instead of lead) red mode (which is a less ornery, modded jcm800 sound). Keep the mids at 4-5. I like the Eternal Love drive block in front of it, with low drive/high volume.

I was talking about this amp he was using with distortion pedals, I guess everthing you read on the web isn't always true? o_O
But you didn't say that, you said JVM410... He hasn't used Peavey since about 2010.
Who knows what Vai is doing with his G-System, Boss Distortion, blah blah blah and whether he's really using the L3 or the L1.
Vai has been using Fractal and his Legacy amps for quite a while.

And as of January 2018 when I attended Vai Academy, he was using the Carvin VLD pedal into the Axe Fx II into the effects return of 2 Legacy heads and 2 4x12 cabs.

The heads are essentially just power amps.

The pedal is the preamp and the Axe Fx is for his effects.

And as of January 2018 when I attended Vai Academy, he was using the Carvin VLD pedal into the Axe Fx II into the effects return of 2 Legacy heads and 2 4x12 cabs.
The heads are essentially just power amps.
The pedal is the preamp and the Axe Fx is for his effects.
I believe VLD1 is taken after the Legacy 3 Amp’s preamp stage. I wonder what he will do when Carvin finally bellies up. He got some great tones from a Bogner Ecstacy on Firegarden.... but Reinhold doesn’t do signature amps... or he hasn’t yet.

I believe VLD1 is taken after the Legacy 3 Amp’s preamp stage.
It isn't... at least not as described by Thomas Nordegg (his most excellent tech) to those of us that were in the room.

There was nothing plugged into the front of the amps while Steve was playing during the workshops, either.

Thomas actually also mentioned he was trying to convince Steve to just use the AX-8:)

It isn't... at least not as described by Thomas Nordegg (his most excellent tech) to those of us that were in the room.
Interesting. Did he give any info on where the VLD1 design came from?
Thanks for the information!

Interesting. Did he give any info on where the VLD1 design came from?
Thanks for the information!
As far as I know it's basically a Legacy preamp in a pedal, but Thomas didn't elaborate any beyond what I already mentioned...

Ok talk amongst yourselves, I like Steve's guitars :). For something that's not a V of course. ;)

\m/ :p \m/

P.S. I did see the suggestions above so thank you guys!

You know that sound of the rhythm guitars during the verses of "You've Got Another Thing Comin'?" That has to be a CRANKED amp to have that kind of sustain with such little gain (hey I am a poet). Would that be a JCM 800 at ripping loud volume levels? How do I do that with the Axe III? and what cabs? Thanks :)

You can get 80s priest on the js410 - use the crunch (instead of lead) red mode (which is a less ornery, modded jcm800 sound). Keep the mids at 4-5. I like the Eternal Love drive block in front of it, with low drive/high volume.

Hey thanks for the tip Petunia, good idea I'll give that a shot, what cab do you suggest? Petunia? are you a girl? Hey guys we got a she-la on the forum! and she's Canadian! :D. It's just like James Hetfield said when he knew he had made it, talking about a stadium full of people; "I think we got about 50% chicks out there tonight," to which Lars replied "I think it's more like 50 chicks." Sorry Petunia, ya set me up for that :D, no offence implied. ;) Slayer! \m/

Back
Top Bottom