JP2C Model, wow!

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Had the opportunity to put the JP2C red channel up against the actual amp. Used the amp model off input 1 and ran The amp into a Fryette powerstation into input 2, using the identical cab blocks (adjusted volume from there to match). I gotta say, I can never justify actually buying this amp, the sound is really that close. If it fell into my lap as a steal, maybe around a grand or so but other than that, it would serve no purpose. Well done on this model.

I have done the same. The Axe III model is the easily the closest to this amp. However, I ran mine into the Boss Waza TAE and I think that the Mark amps love this thing. It is something of beauty. I find myself playing it constantly.

We all hear things differently. I had absolutely no problem justifying my purchase of the amp! i really like it! There is nothing like it for me when playing live.

I have done the same. The Axe III model is the easily the closest to this amp. However, I ran mine into the Boss Waza TAE and I think that the Mark amps love this thing. It is something of beauty. I find myself playing it constantly.

We all hear things differently. I had absolutely no problem justifying my purchase of the amp! i really like it! There is nothing like it for me when playing live.
I got the amp on loan from a friend of mine. I have a bunch of amps. I own a mkv as well as a triple rec. would be nice to own this amp too. Don’t get me wrong. It would really just be to have though, seeing how spot on the model is. I have a lot of amps and guitars just for the sake of having.

I got the amp on loan from a friend of mine. I have a bunch of amps. I own a mkv as well as a triple rec. would be nice to own this amp too. Don’t get me wrong. It would really just be to have though, seeing how spot on the model is. I have a lot of amps and guitars just for the sake of having.

Yup. I get it! No question. In my case, I only have the JP-2C and the Mark V 25 as my amps which I use both live. In any case, I go back and forth between these and the III. Really, the III is amazing for the tones you can get out of it.

Can someone please advise me what makes difference between Red and Yellow channel?

I tried both with same settings, and Red sounds darker or less open, and Yellow sounds open and sweeter, but I am not sure what is the right explanation of the difference between 2 channels.

Then I want to understand the difference in both channels’ structure/scheme and what the expected difference in sound is.

Can someone please advise me what makes difference between Red and Yellow channel?

I tried both with same settings, and Red sounds darker or less open, and Yellow sounds open and sweeter, but I am not sure what is the right explanation of the difference between 2 channels.

Then I want to understand the difference in both channels’ structure/scheme and what the expected difference in sound is.
From looking at some of the deeper settings in the amp block, the Red channel has a lower Triode 1 Plate Freq (or at least did last time I looked). which makes it have less attack and makes it a little smoother (therefore probably better for 'liquid leads'). The Yellow has (slightly) less overall gain, which is better suited for rhythms.

JP has said the channels are identical, which isn't entirely true, but they're similar. Basically different flavours of the IIC+ sound oriented towards different objectives.

On the original amp the Yellow channel is designed more towards a heavy rhythm tone in mind while the Red channel is designed with a lead tone in mind. This is also how JP uses them.

Check out the actual amp's manual; it's available online from Mesa/Boogie. Just Google search jp2c manual. It explains in detail what each channel is and might give you insight on how to dial in the models in the axe fx.

From looking at some of the deeper settings in the amp block, the Red channel has a lower Triode 1 Plate Freq (or at least did last time I looked). which makes it have less attack and makes it a little smoother (therefore probably better for 'liquid leads'). The Yellow has (slightly) less overall gain, which is better suited for rhythms.

JP has said the channels are identical, which isn't entirely true, but they're similar. Basically different flavours of the IIC+ sound oriented towards different objectives.
This is what I want to know, thx!!!!

On the original amp the Yellow channel is designed more towards a heavy rhythm tone in mind while the Red channel is designed with a lead tone in mind. This is also how JP uses them.
Yes I understand the general recommendation.
But do you know which structure/scheme/engineering makes this difference and what the expected sound difference?

Check out the actual amp's manual; it's available online from Mesa/Boogie. Just Google search jp2c manual. It explains in detail what each channel is and might give you insight on how to dial in the models in the axe fx.
I did but the manual gives the qualitative explanation.
Do you know where I can find the quantitative explanation including the structure/scheme/engineering difference?
Once I understand which components are different in each channels, then I can understand the expected sound character difference.

Yes I understand the general recommendation.
But do you know which structure/scheme/engineering makes this difference and what the expected sound difference?
May I ask what is the point?
In interviews JP himself says that the two channels are identical (which is not true, but they're so close it's splitting hairs). He certainly uses Yellow for rhythm and Red for leads. While I'm an advocate of being accurate and authentic as much as possible (hence why I don't like fiddling with deep settings in the Axe either) at this point I'd say trust your ears. Pull up both of them in two channels of the same amp block and with the same settings on the Authentic page and rely on what you're hearing. The modeling is supposed to be so accurate that any observable difference will be clear to you through the tone.

Back
Top Bottom