JP2C : Fm3 vs. the amp itself

Hi Folks,

I use the Jp2C model on the FM3 a lot and love it. All modes sound great. I don’t touch the baseline settings (all knobs at 5). Just work the gain knob and the post eq for sound variations. My question is if all knobs were at noon does the real amp sound near identical? I’m using the York audio mesa 212 IR. My real cab is the Mesa 212 vertical.

I found that just changing the gain setting and with little post eq, i can get close to the 70’s and 80’s classic rock/hair metal sounds..they sound tighter though but i really enjoy this amp model on the fm3.

I’m on the fence with regards to getting a mark v 90 vs a Jp2c. The general consensus seems to be that the JP is just a metal amp with a clean while the mark V is more versatile. That was not my experience when using the Fm3 model. Hence the question.

Thanks!!

The knob and slider tapers on the FAS models of are not 1:1 with a real world amp. Real amps vary from unit to unit as the result of component variance. That said, you should be able to get the real world amp to sound very similar to the FM3 model assuming you didn't adjust any advanced parameters.

The Mark V is a very versatile amp, the JP2C is a signature amp, the core gain tone , to me, is more aggressive and dry than other Mark units.

This was a Mark V I briefly owned.
16440594596_a83299ec54_c.jpg

This was a gathering of Marks and other amps we did at our studio to test the differences between Marks, unfortunately at that time we could not bring in a Mark V. The result where surprising, the Mark III green stripe is very aggressive but bright, the Mark IV is as aggressive but darker and a bit more compressed and the JP2C is a beast!!! The TC-50 has the most gain of any Mesa Boogie ever built, that red channel is RED HOT.

I would encourage you to test them if you can, but the JP2C if a newer amp and built like a tank, its more of everything we love about the Mark signature tone.

Unfortunately regarding your question on the settings, we dialed them with our ears and in the Axe FX, FM3 in my case, I dialed it the same.

48971112898_36c66239fc_c.jpg

48971834847_e046b54295_c.jpg

48971094318_8200cddf4c_c.jpg

48971092153_5235357eed_c.jpg

The Mark V is a very versatile amp, the JP2C is a signature amp, the core gain tone , to me, is more aggressive and dry than other Mark units.

This was a Mark V I briefly owned.
16440594596_a83299ec54_c.jpg

This was a gathering of Marks and other amps we did at our studio to test the differences between Marks, unfortunately at that time we could not bring in a Mark V. The result where surprising, the Mark III green stripe is very aggressive but bright, the Mark IV is as aggressive but darker and a bit more compressed and the JP2C is a beast!!! The TC-50 has the most gain of any Mesa Boogie ever built, that red channel is RED HOT.

I would encourage you to test them if you can, but the JP2C if a newer amp and built like a tank, its more of everything we love about the Mark signature tone.

Unfortunately regarding your question on the settings, we dialed them with our ears and in the Axe FX, FM3 in my case, I dialed it the same.

48971112898_36c66239fc_c.jpg

48971834847_e046b54295_c.jpg

48971094318_8200cddf4c_c.jpg

48971092153_5235357eed_c.jpg

Awesomeee set ups...to me I'm able to dial in tones for mild to medium overdrive easily on the FM3 (for my taste). I was not sure about that on the real amp. Also on the FM3 the master volume is set to 4. I wonder how loud that will be on the JP given that it is a 100 watt amp.

Awesomeee set ups...to me I'm able to dial in tones for mild to medium overdrive easily on the FM3 (for my taste). I was not sure about that on the real amp. Also on the FM3 the master volume is set to 4. I wonder how loud that will be on the JP given that it is a 100 watt amp.

Marks have a rather clean power amp section, its all about the preamp section so yes they get pretty dam loud at 4 in the real amps, nothing is gained with higher master volume settings other than MORE volume.

Note that on both the Mark V and JP-2C amps there is only one gain knob, with the other set internally to a fixed value (or on the JP-2C between the two channels and the push pull you can choose between 3-4 settings. So on the gain channel of the real amp you might have a little less versatility compared to the FM3. Or a Mark IIC+, III, or IV would expose both gain knobs on the lead channel.

Next the main difference is the JP-2C has two Mark series lead channels with normal and Shred mode, and a clean channel.

The Mark V has the MArk series lead channel with a couple modes (titled IIC, IV, and EXTREME but realistically Tight, Thick, and Extreme). But it also has a clean channel with 3 modes, and Channel II which has an interesting and usually underrated Edge mode that is very tight, a Crunch mode with is a good british-ish rock sound, and the Mark I mode which can ape some of that santana style smooth lead sound.

So the JP-2C is "The MArk Sound" with a clean channel, while the MArk V, is "Mark sounds, plus a grab bag of clean and crunch amps all in one". So it's definitely more versatile. But it depends on use case as well, the way the channels are laid out on the Mark V there are a lot of sounds available, but you can only really use one mode from each channel live. So it's a great grab bag for recording, for live it's a game of balancing your priorities. i.e. the Clean modes are great, but the Tweed mode is good for that gritty fender thing, but you have to choose one or the other. And in Channel II Edge is very bright, crunch is balanced, and Mark I is very dark. So you can't switch between them without changing your EQ significantly each time. And the MArk I can be brought to life with a GEQ setting that boosts highs and cuts lows, but that means sacrificing the GEQ on the lead channel with is almost mandatory for that MArk Lead tone shaping.

Back
Top Bottom