Pick your favorite band...

• Total voters
In the UK and Europe, Toto are more widely known than Journey as Manning said.

Saying one is better than the other is only subjective, your view in other words.

Neither band represents the soundtrack of my youth, they are both great bands, I happen to prefer Toto but if you prefer Journey that's cool. It's fine having a poll for fun to see which is most popular but saying one is better than the other is only subjective, your view in other words.

journey (imo) are the bigger band, here in the uk at least.
i can't imagine anyone who's into rock n roll not hearing of journey. whether or not they like 'em is another matter :D

In the UK and Europe, Toto are more widely known than Journey as Manning said.

Saying one is better than the other is only subjective, your view in other words
Exactly my point too. And in fact I'm not a Toto fan, I just know many songs of the band, and all my musicians friends too, some of which are real Toto fans. I think I never had any conversation with anyone about Journey. But as I said, if I knew the two bands equally well, I may also prefer Journey. It's just that, despite their huge sales, the bands seems popular mostly in the US (and Philipines, lol – but that's a place with a huge US influence musically)

I learn new things every day on the internets.

I figured this thread would degenerate quickly into "Journey turned into a corporate rock sellout band!" comments, so I'm surprised that they are getting some love here. :)

My US-centric worldview just assumed that Journey was huge everywhere. Interesting.

I learn new things every day on the internets.

My US-centric worldview just assumed that Journey was huge everywhere. Interesting.

In actual fact, In Europe (Until Glee) Journey didn't have as much widespread success as Toto, and didn't do much touring there. And while in the US journey were hugely popular and did mega sell-out tours there, Toto got shunned by their native country. In 1978 Toto had their first hit in Europe (Holland) and toured Europe extensively thereafter. I have seen Toto live in the UK nearly every year since 1992, but I could count the number of times Journey have toured here on 3 fingers. and I never did get the chance to see them in the Perry years, which is a shame because they are a big part of the soundtrack to my life. (Both bands are!)

It seems that many of us are justifying our opinions based upon the majority in our particular region of the world. Interesting. Eye brow raised.

Funny how different perspectives can be. To me, Jorney and Schon are not even close. Toto, with Paich, Porcaro/Phillips and Luke are in a different league as musicians. As band popularity goes, I can understand its closer though. As guitar players, again there is no contest, Luke is the better in every measure such as versatility, note choice, chops, sound, songwriting, creativity, catalogue/CV etc. But, just my opinion ...

Neil Schon is a monster player. So melodic. When you can play in Santana's band at 15 years old, you're doing something right.

Of course Luke is a legendary player. Mostly for his studio resume though, which is extremely impressive...

Journey is the better band as far as songs go......

And of course, Steve Lukather could take the most ghastly piece of 80s pop trash and turn it into a "must-listen" for guitar players everywhere...

(4:29 for when you can't stand it anymore)

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard that solo on the radio and said "who is that?" How many times has that happened? Too many, but that's a big part of what forms our taste. Ah, those moments when we were young and impressionable.

Oddly enough, yesterday I played one of Neil Schon's new guitars - he's getting one built by TMG (a Sydney custom guitar company) and they wanted me to try the new neck design they had developed for him (which has a much flatter radius than a standard strat neck).

The neck was awesome, so I will be now getting a strat with the same neck.

Oddly enough, yesterday I played one of Neil Schon's new guitars - he's getting one built by TMG (a Sydney custom guitar company) and they wanted me to try the new neck design they had developed for him (which has a much flatter radius than a standard strat neck).

The neck was awesome, so I will be now getting a strat with the same neck.

Tell the truth, you're learning the outro solo from Who's Crying Now right now, aren't you? :lol

Tell the truth, you're learning the outro solo from Who's Crying Now right now, aren't you? :lol

Actually the only Journey song I can name offhand is Don't Stop Believing. I've never really gotten to know Neil Schon's playing, although I'm sure he's very good.

Back
Top Bottom