Pick your favorite band...

• Total voters
cringe at hearing that "don't stop believing" song these days, been cooked to hell and back; even heard a mega cheesy pop cover of it on the radio the other day.
ugh!

The dog in The Wizard of Oz.

LOL, being sarcastic. Seriously though comparing Journey to TOTO is like comparing a 747 jet to a hang glider. Luke may be good, but Journey's impact on contemporary music is just epic in every way form song hooks, to guitar playing, to commercial success. TOTO is lost to history except to us guitar nerds

I'm split so I'll go with ToJo. Neal and Luke are both extraordinary players and have contributed greatly to the vocabulary of guitar. Can't pick a fave.

Journey for the songs, and while I give Toto the nod for musicianship, Journey has some great players as well. Journey was my first real concert back on the Escape tour in Dallas.

Toto for the fact that no-one outside of USA Suburbia has even heard of Journey. And c'mon, they were a one-hit wonder band at best, and only in one country. Most people I know think "Don't Stop Believing" was written for Glee.

Ignoring the fact that all the members of Toto were simply monstrous musicians, they had tons of major songs, plus they kept going for many many years. And barely a day goes buy when I don't hear Rosanna, Africa or Hold the Line on the radio - all 80s radio staples.

Toto for the fact that no-one outside of USA Suburbia has even heard of Journey.

LOL Seriously? They were always HUGE in Japan and the Philipines. You know their current singer played in a Journey tribute band in the Philipines out of a small town there no one ever heard of?

Toto for the fact that no-one outside of USA Suburbia has even heard of Journey. And c'mon, they were a one-hit wonder band at best, and only in one country. Most people I know think "Don't Stop Believing" was written for Glee.

Ignoring the fact that all the members of Toto were simply monstrous musicians, they had tons of major songs, plus they kept going for many many years. And barely a day goes buy when I don't hear Rosanna, Africa or Hold the Line on the radio - all 80s radio staples.

:lol Ok your joking right? The problem with the Toto reference is that those three songs are the only ones that really got any air play to speek of, at least that I can remember. I heard way more Journey tunes in AOR radio rotation then Toto growing up. Songs like, Lovin; touchin; squeezin, Stone In Love, Lights, Separate Ways, Feeling that way, Wheel in the sky, Open Arms, Any Way you want it, Faithfully, Don't stop belivin. So a one hit wonder...? I don't think so. Toto has some great musicians no denying that fact and have cranked out some great tunes in their stormy line up history but when it comes to popularity Journey will always out shine Toto 2 to 1 based on album sales alone that is a fact.

And then theres this form the WiKi

Journey is an American rock band formed in San Francisco in 1973 by former members of Santana and Frumious Bandersnatch. The band has gone through several phases; its strongest commercial success occurred between 1978 and 1987, after which it temporarily disbanded. During that period, the band released a series of hit songs, including 1981's "Don't Stop Believin'", which became in 2009 the top-selling catalog track in iTunes history.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] Its parent studio album, Escape, the band's eighth and most successful, reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and yielded another of their most popular singles, "Open Arms". Its 1983 follow-up, Frontiers, was almost as successful in the United States, reaching No. 2 and spawning several successful singles; it broadened the band's appeal in the United Kingdom, where it reached No. 6 on the UK Albums Chart. Journey enjoyed a successful reunion in the mid-1990s, and later regrouped with a series of lead singers.
Sales have resulted in two gold albums, eight multi-platinum albums, and one diamond album (including seven consecutive multi-platinum albums between 1978 and 1987). They have had eighteen Top 40 singles in the US, six of which reached the Top 10 of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and two of which reached No. 1 on other Billboard charts, and a No. 6 hit on the UK Singles Chart in "Don't Stop Believin'". Originally a progressive rock band, Journey was described by Allmusic as having cemented a reputation as "one of America's most beloved (and sometimes hated) commercial rock/pop bands" by 1978, when they redefined their sound by embracing traditional pop arrangements on their fourth album, Infinity.[SUP][5][/SUP]According to the Recording Industry Association of America, Journey has sold 47 million albums in the US, making them the 28th best selling band. Their worldwide sales have reached over 80 million albums.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] A 2005 USA Today opinion poll named Journey the fifth best American rock band in history.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP] Their songs have become arena rock staples and are still played on rock radio stations across the world.

Last edited:
None of that changes the fact that no-one I know has heard of them (just did a quick office poll of people aged 30-50), whereas everyone has heard of Toto.

I've spent a lot of time in the USA, so I'm certainly aware of them. But as far as I can tell in Europe/UK/Australia they are nobodies. You certainly never hear them on the radio.

None of that changes the fact that no-one I know has heard of them (just did a quick office poll of people aged 30-50), whereas everyone has heard of Toto.

I've spent a lot of time in the USA, so I'm certainly aware of them. But as far as I can tell in Europe/UK/Australia they are nobodies. You certainly never hear them on the radio.

Wow...

Edit: With a little over half of their total record sales in the US I can see where your coming from but the other half went some where.

I can confirm what Manning is saying for my (small) country : here, almost no one knows Journey, and Toto is very popular, among musicians and also music fans in general. I voted Toto but I guess that if I knew Journey more (only heard one album and I only remember "Separate ways"), it may have been the other way. In France too, my country of origin, it looks like Journey is much less known /popular than Toto. Neal Schon is surely great, but frankly I can't recall any riff/solo by him :/

if its just based on the band and the bands music
its Journey.

If you take what the band has accomplished otherwise then its Toto
(Grease soundtrack band, Thriller etc)

LOL, being sarcastic. Seriously though comparing Journey to TOTO is like comparing a 747 jet to a hang glider. Luke may be good, but Journey's impact on contemporary music is just epic in every way form song hooks, to guitar playing, to commercial success. TOTO is lost to history except to us guitar nerds

Yet the members of Toto have played on records that have collectively sold over half a billion units. That is no hang glider, that's more like some sort of stealth aircraft no?

Last edited:
And of course, Steve Lukather could take the most ghastly piece of 80s pop trash and turn it into a "must-listen" for guitar players everywhere...

(4:29 for when you can't stand it anymore)

It just goes to show the differences around the world. I could say exactly the same thing in reverse. I feel that Journey wrote the soundtrack of my life and beyond the songs "Africa" and "Rosanna" TOTO is an obscure reference

Unfortunately your logic falls apart given that Journey found their current singer performing Journey songs in the Phillippines.

Schon > Lukather
Perry > (pick any one of them)
Journey > Toto

Journey for the win. More memorable, more melodic songs.

Let's put it another way: whenever I'm together with friends and family, nobody yells at the person acting as DJ to "put on some Toto".

Unfortunately your logic falls apart given that Journey found their current singer performing Journey songs in the Phillippines.

Schon > Lukather
Perry > (pick any one of them)
Journey > Toto

Journey for the win. More memorable, more melodic songs.

Let's put it another way: whenever I'm together with friends and family, nobody yells at the person acting as DJ to "put on some Toto".

Amen!

Back
Top Bottom