Journey Stone In Love - Live gig direct recording

leemhouk

This was a lot of fun. The advantages of Fractal at a live gig are many, and also using my Presonus digital mixer allowing me to bring the recording home and overdub a second rhythm guitar. Hopping a round the stage, there are a few tiny clams on the solo but I chose top leave them there. I am a huge Neal Schon fan, so this was a joy to work on (still working on this actually lol).
Live setup is as follows:

Fractal XLR direct to FOH and the recording session. FX outs to a mesa 2:90 and a mesa 2-12 wedge cab, sitting in front of me on stage. Lead boost, chorus and delays are controlled by CC pedals and blended in live as I need. Delay pedal set to feed delay input so when I back off it keeps the delay as I go into the next part of the song. Reverb is on a CC switch and on for the entire song. The guitar is a Les Paul custom shop 5A quilt, no trem. All tremolo is done with pre bends or some neck flexing.

Original live track is the FAS Modern and a TS808 OD - same sound for rhythm and lead both, nothing changes but volume and effect blend. Cab is stock 412 TV with a 421 mic. Stereo.
In this track, the first thing you hear is the original live guitar and in the intro its panned more to the left like the original studio recording. The track is based off a live Journey performance from the late 80's, and we had no keyboard player for this.

I added Johnathan Cain's part after the fact. Its a preset using a Friedman HBE V1, Full OD pedal, Citrus 4x12 V30 cab and a U87 mic. Stereo.

Panning is stereo Amp 1 Hard L and R is about 1:30. Guitar 2 is hard right and left about 10:30.
Whenever there is a solo, automated panning puts amp 1 in full hard left/right and amp 2 full hard left/right.

All guitar effects are from the Fractal and the the recording session. Also I did not touch the eq on the board
Still working on the vocals.

Here is the track:

Back
Top Bottom