Journey/Schon tone/equipment

rtcook

Experienced
Never really followed Neal Schon, but have taken an interest lately to the Escape tone. Can anybody tell me the equipment Neal used? Not asking for a preset as I can never get those to sound the same as the user. Would like to try and create this from scratch, but I don't know the amps, effects or cabs he used.

Thanks,

Roger

Mark Day seems to be the source for all things Journey around here.

He has posted some presets over time. Maybe looking at what he's using in them will help.

He had posted a preset called "main live" or something like that. It was awesome for me for a while but changed somewhere along the firmware update line and it's not as good to my ears anymore.

Should be noted that Mr. Schon is prominently displayed as an Official Fractal Artist on this website. ..perhaps he can contribute to this thread............

Never really followed Neal Schon, but have taken an interest lately to the Escape tone. Can anybody tell me the equipment Neal used? Not asking for a preset as I can never get those to sound the same as the user. Would like to try and create this from scratch, but I don't know the amps, effects or cabs he used.

Thanks,

Roger

If you follow him on Instagram, he's actually pretty good about replying to the gear/guitar questions. But I would restrict it to a particular song, because his setup probably varied depending on the song. COVID has him home and available more than usual.

Should be noted that Mr. Schon is prominently displayed as an Official Fractal Artist on this website. ..perhaps he can contribute to this thread............

I haven't seen too many of the gods contribute to this forum. Are there any that do with any regularity?

If anyone could get the answer it would be @ccroyalsenders

Like all the greatest players (and perhaps even more with Neal than with most!) the tone is so much in the fingers. But to enter that realm, you're going to want to start with a cranked Plexi 100W and a nice 4x12 (try the TV mixes!), throw on a bit of Studio C reverb, and add a nice analog delay.
You can also take a look at the Stone in Love factory preset for some ideas!

Last edited:
The tone on 'Who's Crying Now' solo is my favorite NS tone. I also love his Strat/Plexi tones on 'Lights' and 'Feeling that Way'.

I think on 'Lights' he said he used a Tele. (It's my favorite solo of his...although the simplicity and 'fits the song' solo is 'Wheel in the Sky' as a close second.)

I always gravitated towards that early tone that was the cranked Plexi and LP.

And yes, those fingers.

I think on 'Lights' he said he used a Tele. (It's my favorite solo of his...although the simplicity and 'fits the song' solo is 'Wheel in the Sky' as a close second.)

I always gravitated towards that early tone that was the cranked Plexi and LP.

And yes, those fingers.
Lights is a strat. I think it was his old white strat with a black pickguard. There is a video on youtube where he is playing and talking about that specific guitar. I think it was for sale at the time, hence the video.

Yes, it was for sale at Bananas At Large in San Rafael, Marin, which used to be my local guitar shop. At one point they were selling off some Satriani gear, if I remember correctly. And a set of bongos from Santana's band.

Back
Top Bottom