Joining the family!

louyseiz

Inspired
Hey guys,
I'm finally joining the family! My Axe is on the way :)
I've been trading lots and lots of gear the past 3 years (amps, guitars, but mostly pedals), and I truly hope the Axe will help me settle for a long time. I have good faith it will!
My aim is to use it at home (not too loud cause I live in an apartment, so maybe I'll invest in good headphones down the road), to practice (will probably go on the studio PA) and live on small stages for now -probably on PAs as well.
Therefore, since I'm still GASing...: I got the FCB1010 to start with (with the Uno chip), but where I stumble upon is the monitors setup.
I really don't have much space, like 4.5 inches width for each speaker if I decide to go with stereo monitors. I'm not expecting a big sound, but I'd like something well defined enough. So either you guys know a good model that could do (I spotted the Fosted pm0.4d), or else I can go for a kind of mono speaker that would go under my desk, facing up towards my ears (like the Alto 10" for example).

What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance, I'll probably bug you lots with other questions later on :)

Welcome amigo. My suggestion would be to get some quality headphones, especially if you are concerned about your neighbors. Again, welcome.

i just joined myself. it is a great move. im starting to dial in some nice tones. and seems like a great community of helpful people.

Thanks guys.
So my issue now is to find the right 'output' for my Axe (that I should receive tomorrow \o/)
Basically, I have very little space for desk stereo monitors, so I was thinking about something like an Alto TS110A to put under my desk, facing up in an angle. I'm just concerned that it might just be too much for an apartment. Any idea of a floor unit that could be well defined and relatively not-too-big ? If it's under 20lbs, even better.
Cheers guys

Thank you! I'm really puzzled about what system to buy/use to actually be able to 'listen' :(

Here is what I use...

tylergrund_axefx_monitorsetup.jpg

Yup. Tyler does make some amazing tones with that rig.

Question: Why not just use headphones? You can get some really decent cans for about $100. I've used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M30's for years for practice, and they were like $60. Maybe not perfectly flat or accurate for LIVE tone creating (which I don't use them for really- I use my live rig for that) but for practice? pshh... can't beat em. Super long lead... so I can move around... and if I break em... $60. They sound great!

Now, for $160 step up to the M50's... and now you have a first class monitoring setup.

Practicing in cans is SO MUCH more satisfying and real than little desk speakers. Let the sound take you over... full stereo field, as loud as you want... clarity, detail... I just can't see doing it any other way. (But that's me.... YMMV.) I'm either cranked to gig level in my CLR's, or I'm on headphones. The in between crap just can't reproduce the tone the Axe is making. (for me... again... YMMV)

Think about it this way... would you pay for HD cable TV and watch it on a old CRT 27" TV? I'd guess the answer is no. So then, why listen to a $2500 guitar processor on small monitors? But... if that is the way you want to go... you could always check out the little KRK Rockit 5's for $149.

I had to get speakers for my PC, so I got small ones (4") for now, just temporarily so I can get to know the Axe. I'll see how everything fits on my desk and I'll take it from there :)
In the meantime, I've just looked at the UPS tracking, and my Axe is like 1 mile away from me, but still I have to wait for the delivery tomorrow :(
Such a long wait!

Welcome man, This is a fun ride Cliff and team takes great care of us:)

So true...

I would say that a great headphone will be a very nice purchase (lot of discussion on this here). Otherwise, A middle headphone + a single wedge cab. Wedge cab is always useful. To be used as a guitar cab or as a wedge on stage.
CLR is the main reference with the axe but you have cheaper options as well (I've chosen Dynacard AXM 12A, with is a great device too, they are also good devices at JBL, QSC, etc.).

Congrats and welcome. Make sure your headphones aren't too flat, but flat enough. I.e., you don't want crap like Bose (or even worse Beats) coloring the sound, but also don't want super flat studio cans that will give you get ear fatigue.

Axe-Fx is almost there for you! Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom