Joining our worship team and need some good patches

Please forgive my ignorance: what's the difference between the needs of a worship guitarist and a non-worship guitarist when it comes to presets ?

Anyone want to share their patches for some contemporary worship songs? Preferably with stock IRs

Thanks!
Check out Leon Todds worship patch. He released it a couple of weeks ago. It's a great template to start with. I downloaded it and used it this past Sunday it's that good. It utilizes the AC20 with stock IR's. Leon dialed that amp sim in really well plus theres plenty of DSP left to run it stereo if you need to

Please forgive my ignorance: what's the difference between the needs of a worship guitarist and a non-worship guitarist when it comes to presets ?

Mostly just the type of sound/tone we're going for. A typical worship guitarists rig consists of a class-A VOX style amp, comp, a couple of OD's, delay's and reverb plus whatever modulation effects. I feel most worship guitarist's would say think of the Edge's sound.

It really is its own sound just like blues/rock/metal guitarists have their signature sounds, gear and effects. I still play those styles quite a bit but it's taken me some time to dial in a versatile worship patch on my AX8 for when I play at church on Sundays

Im really into going to live shows and concerts in all genres. One of the best sounding acts Ive ever seen live was Hillsong United. That worship sound when dialed in correctly is just majestic sounding.

We play a lot of Hillsong and Chris Tomlin music, and others that sound similar at our church as well. Your description of a U2-Edge-like Vox sound, lots of dotted 1/8 note delays, reverbs, etc., is spot on. Clean, some breakup, some chorus, etc. Not a lot of high gain or Marshall sounds.

Thanks for the explanation, @Brosph80
I agree with @Brosph80. As a lay worship pastor for about 27 years now, the "sound" of the worship guitarists has evolved along with contemporary worship music. I played in the Promise Keepers band in 1997. The style of music was very "rock" oriented. My observation is that very syncopated tunes have never really been popular in Christian music. Most congregations are not "musicians" so they have a difficult time singing along with a syncopated tunes as they are never sure when to come in when singing along with the worship team.

The current "sound" is a clean guitar (a lot of Gretch, Teles, etc.) through an amp that is also pretty clean. My go-to bank has a Super Reverb, Bludojai, Vox AC30TB, 2 Plexis (50w and 100w), and for leads and power rock, Dweezil's Bman and the mighty Tucana. I can do an entire worship session (as much as 3 hours) with just that bank. There are some excellent worship bands as mentioned. Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, Promise Keeper band, and my favorite Tommy Walker. While these groups are not household names for the general culture, they are superb musicians and awesome musical servants for the Lord.

I actually listened to some of these mentioned. To my ears it's even more soulless than the music I've heard during my time a long time ago in church.

Whatever happened to so called spiritual music since the days of Bach, Pergolesi, Monteverdi, Messiaen ..?

I actually listened to some of these mentioned. To my ears it's even more soulless than the music I've heard during my time a long time ago in church.

Whatever happened to so called spiritual music since the days of Bach, Pergolesi, Monteverdi, Messiaen ..?

Don't think the common people understood that music either.

I agree with @Brosph80. As a lay worship pastor for about 27 years now, the "sound" of the worship guitarists has evolved along with contemporary worship music. I played in the Promise Keepers band in 1997. The style of music was very "rock" oriented. My observation is that very syncopated tunes have never really been popular in Christian music. Most congregations are not "musicians" so they have a difficult time singing along with a syncopated tunes as they are never sure when to come in when singing along with the worship team.

The current "sound" is a clean guitar (a lot of Gretch, Teles, etc.) through an amp that is also pretty clean. My go-to bank has a Super Reverb, Bludojai, Vox AC30TB, 2 Plexis (50w and 100w), and for leads and power rock, Dweezil's Bman and the mighty Tucana. I can do an entire worship session (as much as 3 hours) with just that bank. There are some excellent worship bands as mentioned. Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, Promise Keeper band, and my favorite Tommy Walker. While these groups are not household names for the general culture, they are superb musicians and awesome musical servants for the Lord.

So you played in the PK band! Wow that is cool to know.
Back then I was a babe in the worship music scene and I so looked up to all you guys!
Did you ever come through Chicago or Milwaukee at that time?
FF to last weekend, I was playing guitar for a Southern Wisconsin Worship Summit!

So you played in the PK band! Wow that is cool to know.
Back then I was a babe in the worship music scene and I so looked up to all you guys!
Did you ever come through Chicago or Milwaukee at that time?
FF to last weekend, I was playing guitar for a Southern Wisconsin Worship Summit!
They had several bands. I did the CA stuff. I was living in CA at the time. Even some of the speakers varied from venue to venue. Coach McCarty was a constant though.

Join the Fractal Audio For Worship Guitarists page on Facebook. Lots of presets shared there.

News to me but I put in a join request today, thanks for mentioning it. My church patch is based on the Dirty Shirley right now, low gain at the breakup point, but with Esoteric ACB and Tube Driver blocks in front - usual chorus, multiple delays, and reverb after.

I've learned a lot about setting effects for P&W by watching Elevation and Bethel guitar tutorials. Search for their guitar player's gear and you'll find a lot of options in the AX8 to emulate them. The common denominator as far as amps seems to be edge of breakup el84 tone.
My favorite amp lately is the Nuclear Tone I use a few presets with the Hot Kitty, Matchbox D-30 and Wrecker Lvrpool.

Attachments

• Nuclear-Tone X-Y.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom