John Sykes tone with my JP2C

Great job. The tone is very close. I think his tone was a little 'glassier' or slightly more presence but that's seriously nitpicking. It still sounded correct. I think the difference is probably in the pickups. His LP had (IMO) a very vintage sounding pickup in them with a bit of a mid scoop.

Great playing too, I can tell you've played through this song many times getting it tight. John's playing back then was very slippery with an amazing wide and slow vibrato, even on the chords. It takes work to try and capture it. I think because he could hit you with some speed and fire, his outstanding rhythm work was overlooked a bit.

Great job. The tone is very close. I think his tone was a little 'glassier' or slightly more presence but that's seriously nitpicking. It still sounded correct. I think the difference is probably in the pickups. His LP had (IMO) a very vintage sounding pickup in them with a bit of a mid scoop.

Great playing too, I can tell you've played through this song many times getting it tight. John's playing back then was very slippery with an amazing wide and slow vibrato, even on the chords. It takes work to try and capture it. I think because he could hit you with some speed and fire, his outstanding rhythm work was overlooked a bit.
Thank you. glad you liked.
Anyway let's keep in mind that guitar sound is influenced by mics+ preamps+eq+reel tapes etc etc. Too many things hard to replicate at home. But we don't give up
:cool:

Last edited:
Hi my name is Franco and I come from Italy.
Two years ago i was obsessed with Sykes guitar tone and, as a real JP2C owner, i tried to reply his tone with my amp. And i did this video

Now, I got an Axe-FX 3 two days ago and i tried to reply my Sykes tone on that video.
This is the patch.
the cab used ( the same of the video) is Ownhammer OH 412 MES-OS V70+V60 OH1-M+.
Let me know if you enjoy it.

It’s to Axe fx III ?

Hi my name is Franco and I come from Italy.
Two years ago i was obsessed with Sykes guitar tone and, as a real JP2C owner, i tried to reply his tone with my amp. And i did this video

Now, I got an Axe-FX 3 two days ago and i tried to reply my Sykes tone on that video.
This is the patch.
the cab used ( the same of the video) is Ownhammer OH 412 MES-OS V70+V60 OH1-M+.
Let me know if you enjoy it.

Hi Franco, I absolutely dig this Axe3 patch! My fav one right now. Do you have any plans to share any other presets for the Axe3? Thanks

Hey Franco - nice job with the video and the preset! Thanks for sharing! Even though the OH IR that you used is no longer available, I tried the 4X12 MES-ST V70 57 OH on the Axe3 and it sounds pretty good - got some real punch, that's for sure! I think I found my new favorite preset. :) Thanks again!

Hi Franco, I have to say that this preset really nails the John Sykes tone, best I've ever heard. I loaded it up with FW 8.0, used the factory cab Factory 2 # 776, which is a 4x12 MES-ST V70 U70 OH and that works great with my SC PRS. I found the 57 version of that IR a little too bright for my guitar, and the U70 fit perfectly. The only other thing I did was bump the input EQ 3dB at 1000 Hz with 0.707 Q. Been playing this patch for hours. Love it.

Hi Franco, I absolutely dig this Axe3 patch! My fav one right now. Do you have any plans to share any other presets for the Axe3? Thanks
Thanks man. I'm working on Dream Theater Awake tones without tonematching. And It's not so easy. I've recorded times ago a video playing Caught in a Web and it was a good starting point. Let's see!

Hey Franco - nice job with the video and the preset! Thanks for sharing! Even though the OH IR that you used is no longer available, I tried the 4X12 MES-ST V70 57 OH on the Axe3 and it sounds pretty good - got some real punch, that's for sure! I think I found my new favorite preset. :) Thanks again!
you're welcome buddy

Hi Franco, I have to say that this preset really nails the John Sykes tone, best I've ever heard. I loaded it up with FW 8.0, used the factory cab Factory 2 # 776, which is a 4x12 MES-ST V70 U70 OH and that works great with my SC PRS. I found the 57 version of that IR a little too bright for my guitar, and the U70 fit perfectly. The only other thing I did was bump the input EQ 3dB at 1000 Hz with 0.707 Q. Been playing this patch for hours. Love it.
Do be afraid about trebles. I often use brighter tones than i usually do.

Hi and Happy New Year to everyone
@guitarzen asked to me if i could update the preset to the last firmware.
So here it is the last update to Fw 15.01 (tweaked a little bit - i did a tone match of the amp).
The cab is always the same: Ownhammer OH 412 MES-OS V70+V60 OH1-M+
Hope you enjoy it
Can't wait to try this tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom