John Sykes tone with my JP2C

Hi my name is Franco and I come from Italy.
Two years ago i was obsessed with Sykes guitar tone and, as a real JP2C owner, i tried to reply his tone with my amp. And i did this video

Now, I got an Axe-FX 3 two days ago and i tried to reply my Sykes tone on that video.
This is the patch.
the cab used ( the same of the video) is Ownhammer OH 412 MES-OS V70+V60 OH1-M+.
Let me know if you enjoy it.

I bet the Leon Todd's LT 2 mix would sound awesome with this preset without the OH cab

According to the gear page in 87 John was using 4 mesa mark lll coliseum amps and now he is using a mixture of 5150 lll stealth and 5150 lll's and highly recommends them according to his website

tried the latest version but the tma block was blank. might i suggest doing another tonematch which includes the cab ir and then exporting that to a user cab which you could then share?

tried the latest version but the tma block was blank. might i suggest doing another tonematch which includes the cab ir and then exporting that to a user cab which you could then share?
Simeon did you try to bypass the TM Block and hear if there is a change in tone?

According to the gear page in 87 John was using 4 mesa mark lll coliseum amps and now he is using a mixture of 5150 lll stealth and 5150 lll's and highly recommends them according to his website
yep i know... and the JP2C nails the Mark III tone with the Shred mode. it gives some aggression to the amp!

Hi my name is Franco and I come from Italy.
Two years ago i was obsessed with Sykes guitar tone and, as a real JP2C owner, i tried to reply his tone with my amp. And i did this video

Now, I got an Axe-FX 3 two days ago and i tried to reply my Sykes tone on that video.
This is the patch.
the cab used ( the same of the video) is Ownhammer OH 412 MES-OS V70+V60 OH1-M+.
Let me know if you enjoy it.

Wow!!

On the Whitesnake album he was supposed to have used the Mark III Blue stripe, which is known for being very hot and bright, and I have one behind me in my profile pic. I use the MkIIc++ to get the MkIII sound I'm used to, and truth be told I think you could get pretty darn close with tweaking from any Mark series if you are real familiar with them. I painstakingly got my MarkV to sound and respond like how I set my MarkIII, but it was always just a wee bit tighter and more modern sounding. So I decided I would use the MarkV for rhythms and the MkIII for leads.... and then I got an AxeFXIII and everything changed again.

I wish I could let Cliff borrow and model my Mark III blue stripe but I'm not sure it's really necessary with what we already have.

John Sykes used the mesa boogie coliseum on that Whitesnake album
yeah, the Coliseums are higher power Mark II or Mark III, 99% certain his were the MkIIIs... I've seen some say that his were no stripe but I've also heard they were blue stripe... seems like most of the Coliseums you see are blue stripe but I don't know how many were made of each or whatever, it's a bunch of useless info anyway.... I just heard there were 78 ever made so some people look for them. None of that is the reason I bought my Mark III, in fact I had no idea about the whole stripe saga til after I owned it, and I have not owned other stripes to compare them, just the MkV. Like I said my hunch is with tweaking you can compensate for the difference and get what you wanted out of any of them.

The Mark III rarely gets the credit it deserves and it makes me happy every time I see people talking about them or giving them their due.

Back
Top Bottom