John Scofield preset?

jzucker

Experienced
looking for something like the blue matter or still warm tone with the rat and chorus. I've tried adding a rat and ce3 but can't seem to dial it in. Anyone have any luck with it?

Love Sco so I'll give it a shot. Didn't spend too long but think it gets in the neighborhood. Start with Preset 226 Class-A Lineup Scene 1 30WTB:

Bypass comp (unless you like it)

Update the following Amp Settings: Drive 5.14, Bass 3.72, Treble 7.29 , High Cut 2.99 and on the Dynamics Page Gain Enhancer with out comp set to 3.08

Update Cab block High cut to 7999.9 (8K, but the FM3 won't allow it for whatever reason) and the Proximity to 5.64

Change Chorus to Analog Mono update Depth to 64 and Voices to 4

Replace Delay block with Enhance block, Modern, Width 80 Depth 50

Update Reverb Block Type Large Hall, on the EQ page High Cut to 4000 and Mix to 18.

EDIT: Oh yeah...turn the tone knob on your guitar down to 6 or 7 to get that fatter attack.

Love Sco so I'll give it a shot. Didn't spend too long but think it gets in the neighborhood. Start with Preset 226 Class-A Lineup Scene 1 30WTB:

Update the following Amp Settings: Drive 5.14, Bass 3.72, Treble 7.29 , High Cut 2.99 and on the Dynamics Page Gain Enhancer with out comp set to 3.08

Update Cab block High cut to 7999.9 (8K, but the FM3 won't allow it for whatever reason) and the Proximity to 5.64

Update Reverb Block Type Large Hall, on the EQ page High Cut to 4000 and Mix to 18.

EDIT: Oh yeah...turn the tone knob on your guitar down to 6 or 7 to get that fatter attack.

thanks, will try tomorrow.

The first Beato interview I’ve watched and he surprised me because he’s really pretty good as an interviewer. Here he’s asking Scofield about his sound about a week ago.

I've been following his interviews and reflections for several years now. I think he's one of the best for relating to and bringing out the best in his subjects. Recent highlights for me were Al DiMeola, Pat Metheny, Sting, and recently, John Scofield. His reflections on great musicians like Pat Martino were instrumental in making me connect with these musicians on a very human level along with technical. I think he will be regarded as one of the great hosts and archivists over time.

Hi, thanks for all the work on that but IMO, it really doesn't have much sco vibe unless something was radically wrong with some of the settings. In particular, the chorus was too throbby. Sco used a stereo CE2 and a Rat and spring reverb. And for some reason, the amp settings or speakers or some combination just sound really dark and muddy. Sco's sound was always bright.

This is what I have so far . I think part of the problem is that i'm not digging the fractal's Rat emulation. I just don't think it sounds very close to a real rat...

Attachments

• jaz scofield.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: MPZ
Hi, thanks for all the work on that but IMO, it really doesn't have much sco vibe unless something was radically wrong with some of the settings. In particular, the chorus was too throbby. Sco used a stereo CE2 and a Rat and spring reverb. And for some reason, the amp settings or speakers or some combination just sound really dark and muddy. Sco's sound was always bright.

This is what I have so far . I think part of the problem is that i'm not digging the fractal's Rat emulation. I just don't think it sounds very close to a real rat...

Ha! that's ironic as I was A/Bing with Blue Matter and kept feeling my tone was too bright compared to his and as such kept cutting back high end. Obviously, different guitars will sound different not to mention our ears. I've honestly never thought Sco's tone was particularly bright...perhaps compared to his jazz contemporaries playing archtops with neck pickups, but not in the more general pantheon of guitar tones. And to the chorus...honestly my fav Sco tones are from the mid 90's to early 2Ks after which he ditched the chorus pedal and briefly went in a more groove/jam band direction.

Regarding the Rat...yeah, I'm not sold on that being anything too important to his tone, honestly I think the Boss Graphic EQ he used was more important as he dumped the Rat long ago but still used the EQ pedal to clean up the low end with other drive pedals or direct to amp.

The rat and ce2 were major parts of his sound. He says so in two recent interviews with jazzguitaronline and rick beato.

The rat and ce2 were major parts of his sound. He says so in two recent interviews with jazzguitaronline and rick beato.

Right for that period, but he didn't stop sounding like Scofield when he switched up to the Blue Note OD (or simply ran into an amp).

I mean...there's a vid of Sco playing a Strat here, still sounds pretty much like (sans chorus) Sco.

EDIT: Also IIRC, Sco set the Rat's gain very low and was using it more like a filtered boost than a drive pedal.

Last edited:
i'm just going by what he said in the interview. maybe he ran a wet/dry rig.

The stereo you hear on the Sco recordings of that era is due to typical "stereoizing" type of studio tricks, not the CE2. That's why I put an enhance block in the preset I built for you. Technically I should have run the chorus before the amp as well, forgot to do that.

Yes, the Rat was used more like a boost to make the amp more alive and sensitive to picking variations. Another huge thing is the guitar. The AS200 is really different from a 335 to my ear. Typically brighter and really brings out the kind of phrasing nuances that Scofield is a master of. I have an 81 AS200 and it’s way easier to get into the Sco tonal zone with that than with any other guitar I have.

Back
Top Bottom