John Prine - COVID-19 Victim

Andy Wood just posted Joe Diffie died - COVID-19 related.

People need to brace themselves for the reality is this (losing childhood heroes and people we are fans of, who are getting to be Older folk) is going to start happening more often. The old “these things come in threes” adage, as in every other year or so (like Prince, Bowie and I want to say Tom Petty) is getting blown out of the water.

I once lived in the town next to where John lived and delivered mail just outside Chicago. In that area, having a personal interaction with John was like knowing Sinatra in Vegas, especially amongst the music crowd.
I recall one story, from a reputable local source, that John actually penned the ultimate country line, “I was drunk the day my Mom got out of prison” but didn’t want to upset any of his rural fans so he wouldn’t take any writing credits.
He had so many great songs. Some artists might get a dozen or more hits and make 100x the money than John made. But, for most, they’ll never have an “Angel From Montgomery”. That song alone will live forever.

Last edited:
Andy Wood just posted Joe Diffie died - COVID-19 related.

People need to brace themselves for the reality is this (losing childhood heroes and people we are fans of, who are getting to be Older folk) is going to start happening more often. The old “these things come in threes” adage, as in every other year or so (like Prince, Bowie and I want to say Tom Petty) is getting blown out of the water.

This just bums me out. I really liked Joe Diffie. Going to dial up a bit of 'Night to Remember'.

Hope John recovers. If any man can pull a few great songs out of this...it will be him.

Back
Top Bottom