John Petrucci's JP2-C Settings

look closer: the second one usually doesn't cut the mids as much and boosting the 240 a tad more to thicken up the tone. One mm can be a lot on those faders...

Good point. I forgot how bloody sensitive those things were. Kind of painful on my old Mark V 25 when I'd set it just right and then it'd get bumped by accident. It's nice have the actual decimal values of the sliders in the Axe FX.

Since we have JP's amp on the Axe Fx III, i thought why not dedicate a thread on how to achieve his sound. I know there's a lot of other variables that contribute to his polished tone like his guitars, pickups, beard(lol), and of course his fingers that play a big role to his sound. But i know there's a lot of JP fanboys in here like myself that might appreciate some tips or tricks on how to dial in his sound from the Axe Fx. :)

I'll start by sharing his settings he posted on instagram a while back.

Clean Channel

View attachment 53965

Ch 2

View attachment 53966

Ch 3

View attachment 53967

EQ 1

View attachment 53968

EQ 2

View attachment 53969

This pic is a grab (screen shot) from the Crunch video itself, shows a bit different settings (esp tone controls mids and bass) for the 3 channels as compared to the above post.

Screenshot_20190505-172846_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I threw this preset together and I'm hoping that it works as well for you guys as it does for me. scene 1 is the tone. scene 2 is for shredding...not necessarily his tone though, just what I like.

Play it before looking at the settings. Don't get hung up on the IR. the tone is about what sounds right. this IR got me there with minimal tweaking. I literally spent 5 minutes or less on this preset...but I'm used to making presets based on tone and not real life amp settings.

Attachments

• DT Larks Tongues in Aspic pt2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
For those who want his tone, rather than dink with EQ settings and IRs, why haven't you simply Tone Matched it?
is good idea but some people dont know how to Tone Match,i would love to learn how to tone match the Steve Lukather Paris 1990 tone,"for me that is the best guitar tone ever.

Here ya, go ....

Thanks very much. They sure do provide a lot of great detail in the comments on those videos to just plug values straight into the AXE III. Will have to try it when I get my hands on it. From my AX8 days, the db values for the EQ seem a bit extreme. How did they even know what the actual db is and how would this help someone with a real JP2C (which this video is designed to sell)? It seems like slider positions would be more useful to them - but hooray for modeller users!

Interesting that room mic is mixed in. Think this would fatten up the tone a bit. How to emulate in the AXE III?

Also, and sorry this is slightly off topic for this thread, when doing a tone match of a recording do you need to accurately play the clip on your guitar or is a bunch of random chords and chugs ok?

Also, and sorry this is slightly off topic for this thread, when doing a tone match of a recording do you need to accurately play the clip on your guitar or is a bunch of random chords and chugs ok?

Read the Tone Match Mini Manual. Here's a quote:

"A Good Match Requires a Broad Tonal Reference - Whether your reference source is live signal or a recording, it ideally needs to demonstrate the complete sonic range of the source. This is easy to control if you have a guitar in your hands: ten seconds of diverse chording “up the neck” plus some “chugs” and other noises will do more to establish how an amp responds than any amount of high-note soloing in a single key. In fact,don’t play musically; avoiding key centers might give the match more diversity to work with. If you’re using a reference recording, it’s OK to play along to generate the local signal, but you can experiment to achieve different results."

Read the Tone Match Mini Manual. Here's a quote:

"A Good Match Requires a Broad Tonal Reference - Whether your reference source is live signal or a recording, it ideally needs to demonstrate the complete sonic range of the source. This is easy to control if you have a guitar in your hands: ten seconds of diverse chording “up the neck” plus some “chugs” and other noises will do more to establish how an amp responds than any amount of high-note soloing in a single key. In fact,don’t play musically; avoiding key centers might give the match more diversity to work with. If you’re using a reference recording, it’s OK to play along to generate the local signal, but you can experiment to achieve different results."

Thanks so much. So with reference to a recorded signal it says to ‘experiment’ with playing along or not. What has been your experience here: does playing along generally produce more accurate matches?

Back
Top Bottom