John Petrucci's JP2-C Settings

Ok guys: time to come out clean.
I can't make it sound like I hear in every MK2 C+ or JP video.
I don't have the same guitar nor pickups nor woods.

I have the Axe FX 3 into a matrix power amp GT1000FX and a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto (the vertical one).

The thing is I can't find enough gain even if pushed to the limit. I feel the need to put an overdrive in front of it... That's based on the preset pictures here in this post. Are there any tricks to get that little more gain to go on full LIQUID Petrucci lead mode and tight rhytm aggression?

Best regards

Try the grinder boost engaged in the amp block. I find it very effective to tighten amp the bass and add that extra gain and sizzle.

I have the Axe FX 3 into a matrix power amp GT1000FX and a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto (the vertical one).

The thing is I can't find enough gain even if pushed to the limit. I feel the need to put an overdrive in front of it... That's based on the preset pictures here in this post. Are there any tricks to get that little more gain to go on full LIQUID Petrucci lead mode and tight rhytm aggression?

Best regards
And I'm the opposite. I have too much gain and bass, so I lowered the them a little, until I was satisfied.
I did not go by the preset pics posted. I started with Fractal's programmed settings and tweaked from there.
You would have to pretty much have all his gear to duplicate his tone, using his settings.

Keep in mind too, he's using a 7string guitar in those vids. So of course it's gonna sound a lot heavier than when u create a preset using a 6string guitar.

Try the grinder boost engaged in the amp block. I find it very effective to tighten amp the bass and add that extra gain and sizzle.

Thanks for tip your right the grinder is great w the Model
The JP2c is by far the easiest
mark series amp to dial in too
Grab a cab like York Recto or
ML set the standard boogie eq shape and you pretty much have a great tone
Lol i feel i am cheating cause a mark
Should never sound this good without extensive tweaking

So i reworked the preset i shared a while back and tried to match the sound of the crunch ch from JP's vid. I didn't use any boost in this preset and also used the stock Petrucci V30 ir. Just learned the intro lick of Looking Glass so please excuse the sloppiness. Second part of the vid is the same preset but double-tracked hard left and right.

Gotta say this amp is very easy to dial in. Love it!

Here's the preset---> http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6944 Let me know what u think.

Best regards
Why not just up the Input Trim.. ?

What are some of the suggested cabs to use? I've always favored the Legacy 35 cab, with my setup. It sounds perfect for the clean channel, but gets a little dark to me for green, yellow and red.

So i reworked the preset i shared a while back and tried to match the sound of the crunch ch from JP's vid. I didn't use any boost in this preset and also used the stock Petrucci V30 ir. Just learned the intro lick of Looking Glass so please excuse the sloppiness. Second part of the vid is the same preset but double-tracked hard left and right.

Gotta say this amp is very easy to dial in. Love it!

Here's the preset---> http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6944 Let me know what u think.

sweet! If you don't mind the off topic question; how do you combine the video and the sound from your Axe?

I still prefer Johns sound in images and words.
I remembered when I first heard "pull me under" on Headbanger ball and the next day I went to all record stores in Stockholm and found one copy at last. I got home and played the album and was floored how great it was. I also remember that I thought the "pull me under"-track on my album was faulty due the abrupt ending but later I realized it was an Andy Kaufman moment =)

Back
Top Bottom