John Petrucci Playing the Allman Brothers

deakle

Experienced
Has anyone caught this YT video of John Petrucci and his wife playing Jessica by the Allman Brothers? It is amazing! He is a versatile guitarist!

It is a long video from a European guitar awards show. Fast forward to 23:40 to catch the beginning of the Jessica tune.

Has anyone caught this YT video of John Petrucci and his wife playing Jessica by the Allman Brothers? It is amazing! He is a versatile guitarist!

Eh, are you kidding? I know he’s an amazing technical player and he gets love from so many forum members here, and I’ll get flamed for this, but that’s NOT how anyone should cover The Allman Brothers!

There is a school of thought that STRONGLY urges to keep your wife/girlfriend out of the band at all cost.

As for the lady in question, I agree her timing is a bit off at times, although she does have some chops herself and it could be that she just couldn't hear herself properly. I reckon a basic youtube search can net you lots of worse performances though. Regardless of that it's nice for John though that he and his wife can have a jam together at home. Beats having to go to an arts and crafts market in the weekend.

And now I have a sudden urge to watch some Top Gear episodes.

I think let's be charitable.

She used to play out regularly; but does she any longer? My guess is that she's a bit rusty.

And, yes, it seems like she probably can't hear what's going on in the mix terribly well, which is not uncommon when you suddenly pull in a guest musician who doesn't usually play with the group.

But more than all this, I see her wincing -- very faintly; she's trying to be a pro and not be obvious about it -- a couple of times when she has missed something or hit a note a bit late. She's not oblivious to the problems. But she's stuck up there on stage and has to suck it up and get through it best she can; so, she does.

Anyway, Paul McCartney used to bring Linda on tour with him. God bless John and Rena for sounding as good as they did.

Gee whiz guys, HARSH!! Listen to the part before the clip, this was about Petrucci sharing the event with his wife. I didn't see anyone claiming she's some sort of prodigy or skilled performer. They're on stage making a memory and having fun playing together which is the way music is supposed to be played. Bet there's a lot of people here secretly wishing they could play some of the things she did.

My response wasn’t about his wife’s playing.

Back
Top Bottom