John Petrucci Official IRs

Awesome, but too bad he is selling and not just sharing. I understand, but nowadays an interview with a lot of musicians is more of a commercial break than an interview. Johnny Hiland is the worst imho. And I understand of course, but hey. One can sigh about it now and then ey?

Awesome, but too bad he is selling and not just sharing. I understand, but nowadays an interview with a lot of musicians is more of a commercial break than an interview. Johnny Hiland is the worst imho. And I understand of course, but hey. One can sigh about it now and then ey?

Kind of sucks that they HAVE to do it... since no one pays for actual music
these days. :(

Producing professional IRs is a lot of work and requires more than just an average cab , a cheapo mike and a 100 $ Audio interface.
I don‘t get it, why always something has to be for free. You love Petrucci and his sound? Buy the IRs , that supports him directly. No artist nowadays is making any big money from streaming services like fu**ify .

Last edited:
Producing professional IRs is a lot of work and requires more than just an average cab , a cheapo mike and a 100 $ Audio interface.
I don‘t get it, why everything always has to be for free. You love Petrucci and his sound? Buy the IRs , that supports him directly. No artist nowadays is making any big money from streaming services like fu**ify .
Always everything for free? Tss. You would probably get along very well with my mother in law. She has the same distorted view on the world we live in. Everything she doesn’t like gets used in a sentence with words added like: everybody, always, everywhere etc.

Let me correct this: Not everybody. Just people like you. And it's not a distorted view, ist my opinion, and I'm pretty sure, that I am not alone with this.
About your mother in law: I feel with you. Fortunately my mother in law lives 200 miles away from my house. 2 times a year is way enough to see her. ;-)

Let’s just end this. I apologise if I offended you in some way. You are ok, I am ok. I never said or tried to imply everything had to be free and I am guessing you know that. I definetly do not want to have suggested making a good IR is easy or cheap.
Hat tip to you. Have a great day.

Harm

Let’s just end this. I apologise if I offended you in some way. You are ok, I am ok. I never said or tried to imply everything had to be free and I am guessing you know that. I definetly do not want to have suggested making a good IR is easy or cheap.
Hat tip to you. Have a great day.

Harm
Nothing to apologize. I don't feel offended at all. As a producer by myself, I can maybe be a bit "thin-skinned". We experience illegal IR-traders every day, It's just that there are countless people out there, who really think, that it is their RIGHT, that things like IRs have to be free. All good.
Have a nice day!

If only Gilmour was as open as JP about his gear. Not only answering questions, but to the point of capturing IRs of his cabs :rolleyes:

i think he’s pretty open, we all know the exact rigs he used over the years. I think he’s a bit less obsessed about it than those who chase his tone. He knows that he will sound like himself with whatever he plays through while many feel getting the exact same rig will make them sound like him.

there are a few good Starfinder IR’s out right now too, a few for free even, of the WEM 4x12 he uses. Not his exact cabs but same spec and model. Paired with a Hiwatt it comes pretty spot on close to his tone

i think he’s pretty open, we all know the exact rigs he used over the years. I think he’s a bit less obsessed about it than those who chase his tone. He knows that he will sound like himself with whatever he plays through while many feel getting the exact same rig will make them sound like him.

there are a few good Starfinder IR’s out right now too, a few for free even, of the WEM 4x12 he uses. Not his exact cabs but same spec and model. Paired with a Hiwatt it comes pretty spot on close to his tone

I think Gilmour is far less gear-minded than his rigs have alluded to. Those are the results of having someone like Phil Taylor working with him who introduces new gear to him and is responsible for making it all work. I think at most, Gilmour might be involved in the creation of the tones on the albums, stringing some pedals together and dialing them in, but when it came to his rigs, I’ve always gotten the idea that that’s Phil’s area and he just compiles a list of all the tones Gilmour needs then gets with Cornish to resolve it.

Gilmour has never gotten into specifics because I simply think he doesn’t know. I’d be willing to bet if you asked him a single question about his ’94 Pulse rig, he might be able to tell you a general idea of what’s in it, some Big Muff’s, delays, choruses, etc, but getting down to actual specifics I’d bet he’s clueless. And that’s not a slight against him, I’m easily the biggest Gilmour nut I’ve ever come across, it’s just the impression I get after reading every interview I could get my hands on with him and Phil Taylor.

Nothing to apologize. I don't feel offended at all. As a producer by myself, I can maybe be a bit "thin-skinned". We experience illegal IR-traders every day, It's just that there are countless people out there, who really think, that it is their RIGHT, that things like IRs have to be free. All good.
Have a nice day!
Now I can say I have downloaded FREE cabs online like for example seacow's note I found them for free or even a free cab off of ownhammer's own website but yet if you post the free cabs people like to automatically point fingers saying you cant post paid IR's when they was FREE to begin with. People need to stop pointing fingers because there are ton's of name brand cabs for FREE to download on the internet even from the original maker. I have downloaded many legal cabs that I could feel at least 2 hardrives full. from odd ball cabs to name brand cabs but all of them was legal to download for free.

Last edited:

can you point me to that Starfinder IRs? I only know the TAF ones and would love to try others as I don’t love them... thanks!

can you point me to that Starfinder IRs? I only know the TAF ones and would love to try others as I don’t love them... thanks!

Redwirez has a "75 Hiwatt SE4123 • 50-watt Fane Purplebacks • Cabinet IR Library" at their bigbox collection

I don't know if @lqdsnddist is refering to that one. I purchased it long time ago, and I recall that I didn't like them. I will give them another try, though.

I also find that the TAF are useless. They are thin; lack of body.

Now I can say I have downloaded FREE cabs online like for example seacow's note I found them for free or even a free cab off of ownhammer's own website but yet if you post the free cabs people like to automatically point fingers saying you cant post paid IR's when they was FREE to begin with. People need to stop pointing fingers because there are ton's of name brand cabs for FREE to download on the internet even from the original maker. I have downloaded many legal cabs that I could feel at least 2 hardrives full. from odd ball cabs to name brand cabs but all of them was legal to download for free.
There is a difference between obtaining them for free from the maker directly (perhaps after signup or accepting T&C's), and end users sharing them online.

Often companies like ownhammer will offer these free ir's to drive users and traffic to their website and/or marketing list. (Seems like Kevin no longer offers free ir's btw)

It may have been legal to download, but that doesn't mean it's legal to share. With any software, often you don't own it, instead you only have an license to use it.

Let's support the ir making community, rather than share the ir, share a link to the download page.

It's a really sad state that people believe that free means an EULA should not be in effect. I spend hundreds of hours making these files and invested in the tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and environment build out.

I'm exposed to verbal abuse for offering a free pack where all I ask for is location, email, and a real name to honor the EULA.

That free pack is going to have to become minimal charge really soon so that I can confirm identity through PayPal account.

It's sad that there's enough bad apples out there to ruin my wanting to give back.

It's a really sad state that people believe that free means an EULA should not be in effect. I spend hundreds of hours making these files and invested in the tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and environment build out.

I'm exposed to verbal abuse for offering a free pack where all I ask for is location, email, and a real name to honor the EULA.

That free pack is going to have to become minimal charge really soon so that I can confirm identity through PayPal account.

It's sad that there's enough bad apples out there to ruin my wanting to give back.
Why do you have to confirm identity? (honestly curious)
I've passed on free stuff because they ask for too much info, my thinking being, if you're truly giving it away, you don't need my info. If the stuff is good, I'll be back to buy. If there's more to it, I'd like to understand it from a vendor's point of view.

Why do you have to confirm identity? (honestly curious)
I've passed on free stuff because they ask for too much info, my thinking being, if you're truly giving it away, you don't need my info. If the stuff is good, I'll be back to buy. If there's more to it, I'd like to understand it from a vendor's point of view.
That's the terms of my EULA.

If giving who you are is too high of a cost for my goods, then you don't want my goods.

It's that simple.

Back
Top Bottom