John Petrucci Official IRs

Well thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. Nevermind.
What part of my answer was difficult for you to understand?

I'm genuinely curious.

Most commercial providers of anything that give away any sample of their goods online ask you to confirm your identity in order to receive the intellectual property. Those that don't ask for the confirmation of who is licensing their goods really put themselves in a bad way when it comes time to defend that their intellectual property goods have some commercial value in a court of law.

If you register for a forum and if they give something away on the forum or in the contest, do you not think the forum owners can track the IP address of the downloaders or contest winner and match it back to the IP address of the registrants to tell who licensed the goods?

What part of my answer was difficult for you to understand?

I'm genuinely curious.

Most commercial providers of anything that give away any sample of their goods online ask you to confirm your identity in order to receive the intellectual property. Those that don't ask for the confirmation of who is licensing their goods really put themselves in a bad way when it comes time to defend that their intellectual property goods have some commercial value in a court of law.

If you register for a forum and if they give something away on the forum or in the contest, do you not think the forum owners can track the IP address of the downloaders or contest winner and match it back to the IP address of the registrants to tell who licensed the goods?
I guess I'm basically asking what's the real reason behind confirming identity, which usually is a LOT more than I sometimes, not always, feel is necessary.
It's like, these days you go into an auto parts store, buy some $10 item, pay with cash, and they ask for your phone #. No, you don't need my phone #.

But saying "because its in my EULA", is like that store employee saying, "cuz it's company policy," as opposed to maybe explaining that they want your phone # because they use it as a means to ID you for potential returns, to help prevent people from stealing stuff, then trying to return it for cash. But can I know they (or a bigger corp that buys them up someday in the future) won't sell phone #'s to telemarketers? No, I cannot, even if said counter clerk tells me they'll never do that.

So I was asking to help understand the process a little better, which you did in the last 2 paragraphs. So thanks. I'm just generally leery of everyone these days wanting your info. It's a digital world, all that stuff can be triangulated back around, and I hold my personal info VERY close to my chest.

Back
Top Bottom