John Petrucci interview discussing the use of his Axe-Fx III

Makes me wonder if there’s market for a rackmount type FX8 or similar. All the effects minus the amps.
An fx only unit could use less/cheaper processors but it would be another thing for Fractal to maintain so it's probably not worth making when people can just buy the Axe-Fx 3 or throw a FM3 in a rack drawer. Or buy an older Axe-Fx Std/Ultra/2 and use it just for fx. From what I remember the FX8 got discontinued fairly quickly and never got much love in the firmware updates department so it probably was not particularly popular.

I would totally buy this!! If it had midi control and uses the FC controllers as well. Game changer!
And on the flip side, they can make maybe a single rack space Amps and Cabs unit too, for those who won't use effects.

It really seems the rack mount dedicated effects processor market fell completely on its face. Only a handful of products on the market. I have the Eventide H9000 which is completely unrealistic (due to price and way too much I/O) for a guitar rig. It lives on my desk at home along with my axefxIII. Years ago there were just so many more options, and personally I see a huge hole in the market for this sort of thing. What I see is irrelevant I guess, as its not my venture capital going into it. If the money isn't there (in sales, not in R&D), it isn't there.

Last edited:
It isn't silly to think that a guitarist with a one in a billion opportunity is doing what he can to preserve his one in a billion opportunity.

That opportunity? Getting paid. It's incredibly rare for a guitarist to achieve the level of success The Trooch has. He has endorsement deals at every stop along his signal chain, starting with guitar picks lol I can't think of many guitarists that have that going for them. Maybe Vai and Satch? Bulb is probably there too.

Take into consideration that none of these guys play "radio friendly rock" and it's not a stretch or silly to think that he's going to do and say what he has to protect his and his family's interests.

And I do agree with you that they feel different to play. They are close no doubt, but not identical.
In my testing, the model is close enough to quell the JP2C gas I was suffering from, which was literally blowing out of my gut 24/7. Had the amp on loan when the model came out. Im confident I now have that sound for recording.

when you have a signature head in the brand you use since forever, it s normal that you prefer to play with the original ... I mean if you have the choice between driving a ferrari, or playing a ferrari simulator in a video games ... he dont care , he goes on stage, just play and sleep after the show.. and the roadies do the rest . That not like us doing small gigs and dont want to bring anymore the 4X12 in the car at the end of the show ...

I think we all know the feel being tired and pretty drunk late at night and ... needs to lift the bass and guitar cab and ... I remember one day, lifting my mesa boogie roadking head in a hotel , the elevator was out of service it was 3 am, I was drunk , and ... and we were laughing so much with my girlfriend because It takes me so much time to go in our chamber with this fu*// head . well . this type of memories you dont have with roadies . that I still dont have lol .

I think we all know the feel being tired and pretty drunk late at night and ... needs to lift the bass and guitar cab and ... I remember one day, lifting my mesa boogie roadking head in a hotel , the elevator was out of service it was 3 am, I was drunk , and ... and we were laughing so much with my girlfriend because It takes me so much time to go in our chamber with this fu*// head . well . this type of memories you dont have with roadies . that I still dont have lol .
Roadies are overrated anyway and most of the time are your friends or cousins. It's not like you can fire them at 2am in Milwaukee for dropping your amp down a flight of stairs. You'd have to buy them a plane ticket home and pay their severance fee, plus deal with your cousin's angry mom.

Roadies are overrated anyway and most of the time are your friends or cousins. It's not like you can fire them at 2am in Milwaukee for dropping your amp down a flight of stairs. You'd have to buy them a plane ticket home and pay their severance fee, plus deal with your cousin's angry mom.

Ha, funny, because Portnoy DID fire Petrucci’s long time tech, Mark Snyder, on the spot. In Paris, I believe, for flipping him off. It was on the Falling Into Infinity tour and Mark was told to go help Sherinian’s tech fix the keyboards in the middle of a show. Portnoy drunkenly threw a stick at Snyder, to which Snyder flipped him off and Portnoy fired him for it.

Dream Theater fans should check out the Lifting Shadows book. TONS of inside info in there from the band and everyone surrounding them, it’s an official biography approved by the band.

whats?you must using the wrong kemper rigs,i love my clean kemper rigs
I'm happy you're happy. It was a constant battle trying to pick extra carefully so my monitors didn't pop if I strummed slightly too hard.
People can do a lot of amazing things with various gear I end up buying and then regretting.

Back
Top Bottom